• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

We're like a magnet with these types of storms. It's uncanny. Probably why our snow climo sucks. ;)

This run may give Alek some snow, so we'll probably need to toss it.

haha, I'm on board for .8" of snow on my final call so :)

This would be much more interesting if we can get that 850 low 100 miles south.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Port Huron, MI and then Lexington, MI...

Other issue is timing - will likely be driving north of Toledo around 0200 or 0300 Sunday morning... 

The key thing is marginal temps.  Freezing Rain at 31-32F does not accumulate much on treated roads.  It will make the tree nice an pretty but roads should be OK.

Right now you should be OK. 

Your trip to Port Huron (I75 to I94) should be OK.  The back roads from Port Huron to Lexington is when it could be more tricky IF we trend colder.

When do you leave?

Pretty radical departure temp wise for YYZ. GFS doesn't appear to get Toronto above freezing on Sunday now. The good news (in terms of avoiding major icing damage) is that this more southerly track has shunted the main QPF axis just to our SE.

True, interesting shift. Could also imply that the period of RA that previous runs had occuring post-ZR may now be all ZR changing to snow on the backside. Hard to say if this is better or worse for us, lower QPF yet prolonged ZR period and no melt in the hours after.

Impacts probably similar for both solutions? Forecast keeps getting trickier haha and I don't have BUFKIT at work.

Like I said a day or two ago this one is gonna be a b**ch right to the end.  12z runs so far do little to add any confidence to any solution.  Last night's Euro had northern IL getting dry slotted pretty badly, and then you see the possibilities with a 12z GFS scenario.  It would be perhaps a little easier if we were dealing with a more widespread snow swath.  The fact that this is looking like a relatively narrow area of snowfall makes it all the more difficult lol.

To my naked eyes, it looks like Toronto will have trouble reaching the freezing mark on Sunday if the latest 12z GFS is correct. Not a good sign, especially with all of the freezing rain that falls overnight Saturday.

Close call.

gfs_t2m_max_east_29.png

gfs_ptype_slp_east_13.png

gfs_ptype_slp_east_14.png

True, interesting shift. Could also imply that the period of RA that previous runs had occuring post-ZR may now be all ZR changing to snow on the backside. Hard to say if this is better or worse for us, lower QPF yet prolonged ZR period and no melt in the hours after.

Impacts probably similar for both solutions? Forecast keeps getting trickier haha and I don't have BUFKIT at work.

Scary thing would be to have the thermals verify but the QPF axis depicted being a tad too far SE.

Then again, maybe the NAM is on to something and this whole discussion will be moot.

GFS like solution. Less QPF but it looks a lot colder. We're probably not far off from starting as SN on Saturday verbatim (maybe a bit too far south). And it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the brunt of the storm fell as PL rather than ZR.

Was just thinking that and could be our saving grace depending on the degree of cold that actually verifies in the end (a slight NW correction could change that). Thinking this one is going to be nailbiter, going to be tough to base my travel plans off this. Might need to wait until the 00Z EURO tonight to make a final decision.

GFS like solution. Less QPF but it looks a lot colder. We're probably not far off from starting as SN on Saturday verbatim (maybe a bit too far south). And it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the brunt of the storm fell as PL rather than ZR.

Its interesting how the latest models all trended cooler but similarly keep the brunt of the QPF to our south too. As we can see, alot of the ensembles dont agree with one another or the operational. I'd expect a bit more flip-flopping.

It also shows the same thing for Friday too...LOL. Less snow and freezing rain but more sleet/ice pellets.

The key thing is marginal temps.  Freezing Rain at 31-32F does not accumulate much on treated roads.  It will make the tree nice an pretty but roads should be OK.

Right now you should be OK. 

Your trip to Port Huron (I75 to I94) should be OK.  The back roads from Port Huron to Lexington is when it could be more tricky IF we trend colder.

When do you leave?

Current plan is to leave at 5:00 pm or so on Saturday - scheduled to work tomorrow night... need time to get some ZZZZZs before hitting the road.... 

Just saw some maps showing ice in the northern suburbs of DTW... which makes me nervous... 

Archived