EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
December 21-22nd Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That solution is a ton of rain here. It looks like a lot of NE surface winds though until the low passes by. Even though it's torching at 850, it won't be torching at the surface with NE winds. It will may torch here briefly if the low does indeed travel west of here but I really wonder what the surface temps will be for most of the rain. This could be one nasty ice storm if the surface is cold enough.

The thing is the surface isn't cold, it's right around freezing after a couple days above...it's a marginal ice setup at best. Especially when the mid level warm layer is going to be hella robust.

Got your ark ready?  :lmao:

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the jackpot doesn't end up west of us. Seriously.

At least the nearly uninterrupted SSW 850s from the Gulf to Toronto is pretty cool...maybe we can break some temp records.

Parts of OH and IN that go rain free for a time have a chance. For YBY, no chance. 

I will be watching to see what the models do at 0z today...by then the speed max and low on the West coast should have decent sampling, but the Northern stream portion is still going to go largely unsampled...that is still going to wreak some havoc probably until Friday evening I'd guess.  STL saying not until Saturday morning is certainly plausible too.  Basically the snow threat is gone from Lansing-Chicago-Quincy-Tulsa OK and points to the East except for a bit of backend light stuff.  However if the models guesses are wrong compared to what actually gets sampled this thing could shift 100 miles East or West still.  I still expect some wild swings on this in the next 24 hours.  These SW systems, which most of our big Winter storms are, are very fickle and usually hold some surprises. 

When you guess what data to put in....the results are nothing more than a best guess ... any solution portrayed by any model from today, yesterday, or 3 days ago may indeed verify... (luckbox)....otherwise, bring on the popcorn for another 36 hours.... :popcorn:

The only obvious constant that is seen is plenty of moisture....other than that...where's the salt and butter?!

Nice input Justin!

MKX disco from this morning. Talks about zeroing in on the track today -probably.

.SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY - CONFIDENCE...LOW TO MEDIUM
POTENT STORM SYSTEM ON TRACK FOR THE AREA THIS PERIOD. MODEL
VARIABILITY IS STILL SUBSTANTIAL AS IT RELATES TO OUR CWA...MAKING
ZEROING IN ON LOCATION OF HEAVY SNOW BAND LOW CONFIDENCE AT THIS
TIME. TAKING A CONSENSUS APPROACH THE HEAVY SNOW BAND WILL LINE UP
WITHIN THE CWA BOUNDARIES. HOWEVER IT COULD BE IN SE WI (PER THE
NAM AND GFS) OR ACROSS THE NW CWA (PER THE ECMWF). 00Z ECMWF HAS
THE WARMEST LOOK WITH THE 850 LOW CENTER TRACKING RIGHT ACROSS
MILWAUKEE. THIS LOW TRACK FAVORS A LONGER PERIOD OF A MIX FOR THE
EASTERN CWA WITH THE AXIS OF HEAVIEST SNOW ACROSS THE NW CWA.
MEANWHILE THE GFS/NAM HAVE THE 850 LOW TRACKING JUST SOUTH OF
CHICAGO. THERE IS STILL A BRIEF PERIOD OF HIGHER THICKNESSES AND
ABV 0C 850 TEMPS WITH THIS LATTER SCENARIO THUS THE WINDOW FOR A
MIX IS SMALLER AND WOULD COVER LESS REAL ESTATE THAN WHAT THE
ECMWF SUGGESTS. THE NAM AND GFS TRACK OF THE SURFACE/850 LOWS
FAVOR THE HEAVY SNOW AXIS IN SE WI WITH LESS MIX AND THE OFTEN
MORE RELIABLE ECMWF AT THIS TIME RANGE FAVORS THE WESTERN AND
NORTHERN CWA FOR THE HEAVY SNOW POTENTIAL WITH A LONGER MIX
DURATION IN THE EAST. THE CIPS ANALOGS FAVOR THE ECMWF AS DOES
STRONG SIGNAL AND POSITIONING OF THE RIGHT REAR QUADRANT OF UPPER
JET MAXIMUM FROM THE ECMWF/NAM. SO FAR NOW A GINGERLY NOD TO THE
ECMWF SEEMS REASONABLE BUT PRECARIOUS AT THE SAME TIME. HOPEFULLY
THE NEXT RUN OR TWO WILL ENABLE ZEROING IN ON THE LOCATION WITH
MORE PRECISION WITHIN OUR CWA.

I should be pretty locked into at least some snow, but it could be anything from 2-10".  The 00z Euro moved the heaviest stuff to my nw, while the NAM and GFS favor the southeast third of Iowa.  If the ultimate solution is more amped then the NAM and GFS should move nw. The 00z Euro doesn' t leave any wiggle room for Cedar Rapids as any further shift to the nw would really drop my snow total.

I will be watching to see what the models do at 0z today...by then the speed max and low on the West coast should have decent sampling, but the Northern stream portion is still going to go largely unsampled...that is still going to wreak some havoc probably until Friday evening I'd guess. STL saying not until Saturday morning is certainly plausible too. Basically the snow threat is gone from Lansing-Chicago-Quincy-Tulsa OK and points to the East except for a bit of backend light stuff. However if the models guesses are wrong compared to what actually gets sampled this thing could shift 100 miles East or West still. I still expect some wild swings on this in the next 24 hours. These SW systems, which most of our big Winter storms are, are very fickle and usually hold some surprises.

+1

To make sure I understand, on the I75 corridor, if the low slides a little more east, then the chance for snow / ice increases, right?  The models (from what you all have said, not my own interpretation - I am just learning this stuff) have gone from a lot of snow / ice on I75 / I94 to a lot of rain.  The only "site" showing frozen precip for that area now is "weather.gov"... 

I want to see snow, just don't want to have to drive in it a lot... :)

To make sure I understand, on the I75 corridor, if the low slides a little more east, then the chance for snow / ice increases, right?  The models (from what you all have said, not my own interpretation - I am just learning this stuff) have gone from a lot of snow / ice on I75 / I94 to a lot of rain.  The only "site" showing frozen precip for that area now is "weather.gov"... 

I want to see snow, just don't want to have to drive in it a lot... :)

How far north are you going?

I75 will be rain at least until Toledo ... north of Toledo is still TBD ... currently it looks like Rain until I94 ... north I94 is when MIX (RN/ZR/IP) will be in play ... snow line is TBD ... right now snow looks to be north of Flint on I75. 

FYI ... Today's 12Z NAM is pretty much all rain until north of West Branch or so on I75.

At EVV by 66. At 6z it was over LAF valid the same time.

Has actually gone the opposite direction of the NAM. Less interaction with that vorticity over the northern Plains.

We're like a magnet with these types of storms. It's uncanny. Probably why our snow climo sucks. ;)

This run may give Alek some snow, so we'll probably need to toss it.

How far north are you going?

I75 will be rain at least until Toledo ... north of Toledo is still TBD ... currently it looks like Rain until I94 ... north I94 is when MIX (RN/ZR/IP) will be in play ... snow line is TBD ... right now snow looks to be north of Flint on I75. 

FYI ... NAM is pretty much all rain until north of West Branch or so on I75.

Port Huron, MI and then Lexington, MI...

Other issue is timing - will likely be driving north of Toledo around 0200 or 0300 Sunday morning... 

Archived