joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying this is exactly what's going to happen with this event because the WAA surge appears to be a bit stronger but 2/22/08 is a good example of a coastal hugger during a +AO that produced a good front end thump before the change to rain for the coast.http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2008/us0222.php#picturehttp://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormEvents/storm02222008.html

I was in Stony Brook on Long Island for that event and the question was how much snow before the changeover. Ended up being the biggest storm of that winter and very minimal rain at the end.

I could see something like this happening.  WAA precip moves in faster and stronger than forecasted, and we get dryslotted just as the temperatures start going above freezing,

That could be best case scenario.

Doest take a lot for the model surface interpretation to be off by 2 or 3 F  , thats not impossible . Is a very big difference between Rain and FRZ  for immediate surrounding burbs .

The mid layer punch is prob strong enough - coming in over 50 degree water ,

Honorable mention , clipper next Tues , maybe we tidy up the canvas

Yep.  I also think the GFS is too aggressive with the warm punch. From my experience, Sussex County normally stays snow in these events...I just don't see 850 mb getting above 0C like the GFS shows. GFS also brings warm punch through all of Massachusetts...again, don't see Worchester going to rain as well.

I agree, I think its probably 2-3 hours too quick on its precip transition times but it generally is for whatever reason along with the GGEM...otherwise it looks good, it also has a more legit start time I think, the NAM/GFS to me seem a bit slow getting the precipitation in.

I agree, I think its probably 2-3 hours too quick on its precip transition times but it generally is for whatever reason along with the GGEM...otherwise it looks good, it also has a more legit start time I think, the NAM/GFS to me seem a bit slow getting the precipitation in.

What does the RGEM have for start times...?

The city and NE NJ both flip to plain rain between hours 39 and 42.

soundings my area have hr 39 all snow and not even close, hr 42 i  get above 32(.7)  at 900 and .1 at 850. so it most likely is snowing at least to hr 41.   thiose are two big hrs to be snowing since thats when the heavy precip is falling.

how many times have you been told the maps are not correct and yet you still post about them? Stop talking about the maps and actually analyze the model and what it is saying.

Please look at soundings and ignore the clown maps, which each have different algorithms and techniques for capturing snowfall (some, like Weatherbell, which are completely weenie-driven).

I will say this folks...I think it's time to get off this freezing rain train. Just like the algorithms are crappy for the clown maps, I normally have about 10% confidence in the ZR algorithms. This is NOT a classic ZR setup; not even close. More likely than not, the ZR QPF will likely fall as pure rain. Folks have to realize that NWS has a specific checklist/criteria (normally geographically) that raises concerns...I don't get the sense at all that we will meet the various criteria to set up a ZR event anywhere. 

I know it's long range, but folks worrying about laying down snowfall for Christmas with this event...it's not going to happen anywhere for the East Coast on this event. Even places that receive 1 foot from this event are going to torch around 12/21. The indices are very indicative of a significant warmup for 1-2 days as the -EPO reloads and the PNA plummets.

soundings my area have hr 39 all snow and not even close, hr 42 i  get above 32(.7)  at 900 and .1 at 850. so it most likely is snowing at least to hr 41.   thiose are two big hrs to be snowing since thats when the heavy precip is falling.

You live like 7 miles from me, we do fine. I think anyone north of I-80 and west of say Rt. 46 stay all frozen or freezing. Now moderate rain with temps of 31-32 isn't going accumulate like it would with temps in the 20's.

12z NAM text numbers for those interested. First number is snow, second is ZR

KMMU - 8.7" 0.32"

KHPN - 9.2" 0.23"

KSWF - 12.0" 0.05"

KISP - 4.4" 0.00"

KLGA - 7.4" 0.15"

KEWR - 8.2" 0.25"

KJFK - 6.7" 0.00"

Don't see any ZR for SWF or MGJ...  Warm layer is around 800-850mb.  NAM verbatim is a 10-14" dump followed by some IP then ending as snow.

I will say this folks...I think it's time to get off this freezing rain train. Just like the algorithms are crappy for the clown maps, I normally have about 10% confidence in the ZR algorithms. This is NOT a classic ZR setup; not even close. More likely than not, the ZR QPF will likely fall as pure rain. Folks have to realize that NWS has a specific checklist/criteria (normally geographically) that raises concerns...I don't get the sense at all that we will meet the various criteria to set up a ZR event anywhere. 

I know it's long range, but folks worrying about laying down snowfall for Christmas with this event...it's not going to happen anywhere for the East Coast on this event. Even places that receive 1 foot from this event are going to torch around 12/21. The indices are very indicative of a significant warmup for 1-2 days as the -EPO reloads and the PNA plummets.

How could the ZR threat not be real in the I-287 corridor? HPC beating the ZR drum hard

These probs are for 0.25" or greater.

day2_pice_gt_25.gif

I hate to say it, but it's lazy forecasting...they are just painting up the SREF's.

I'm not saying there won't be reports of ZR...my point being, we are not going to see 0.25 in of ZR (ie widespread tree destruction). No doubt, we will see reports of ZR.

How could the ZR threat not be real in the I-287 corridor? HPC beating the ZR drum hard

These probs are for 0.25" or greater.

day2_pice_gt_25.gif

Agree 100%. This more dynamic setup is not conducive to a wide spread freezing rain situation. It's snow or rain with a mainly narrow but noticable sleet transition area.

Agree 100%. This more dynamic setup is not conducive to a wide spread freezing rain situation. It's snow or rain with a mainly narrow but noticable sleet transition area.

Idk about that, there's a primary to coastal transition with some CAD in place, it may not be ideal but I don't think it's as cut and dry as some make it out to be.

Lets just get back to the storm...

I think north of a line from West Milford, Stony Point, Yorktown Heights receives > 8"

Agreed, I was shocked to see you of all people call me out on giving bad information. We're both usually on the same page.

One of the systems from 2010, I think February 2010 produced only 6" of wet cement for my backyard yet in Butler they received over a foot and in West Milford they had close to two feet. I could see a similar setup with this. The 4k NAM shows the highest totals on a line from Butler, up through Vernon and West Milford and then up into Orange County.

Archived