joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The nam's placement of the high to our north was ideal.  There was also strong confluence to our north. I'm shocked how much the 850's rose even though the surface barely budged. Lets see what the other models show. That is a serious high to the north that the nam portrays. With the strong confluence that the nam was showing, the low should have been a little more east than  hugging the coast.

850s are rising because the 850 low is in the ov/w pa as I keep saying but am told has no influence on this system. I assure you it certainly does.

Difference between Bergen County and Manhattan forecast is amazing. Watch for 4-8 here and across the river nothing.

Yup it's happened before. Not too many years ago either. I once recall (probably in 2007 or 2008) when still working downtown (am in Jersey City for work now) taking the Port Imperial Ferry and going from heavy snow to zilch in Manhattan. The Hudson was the R/S line all throughout the storm. Had like 4 or 5 inches in our backyard and Manhattan got pretty much nothing.

Have a feeling the snow thump in coastal areas before any change will be big based on similar setups in the past. I can def see NYC fetting 6 inches before changing, esp if precip verifies earlier than progged.

That boundary between rain/ice/snow can go off for someone, it wouldn't surprise me if that thump prior to the change is very heavy and surprises.

Archived