joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is going to be some serious banding over Northern NJ if the NAM is correct. With the 925mb thermal gradient tightening and these kinds of vertical velocities, someone is going to absolutely rip heavy snow right before the changeover and lightening precipitation.

Hopefully the NAM isn't too far off.

namNE_700_vvel_039.gif

Man would I be frustrated if this came to pass-heavy dumping snow just inland, transitioning in the city, and mid-upper 30s rain at my house washing what snow I have away. I can see it happening unfortunately.

Ah its just weather..whatever happens,happens..expect nothing and be surprised if you get something..Living on Long Island is tough on these borderline events..especially like us on the south shore..

The nam's placement of the high to our north was ideal.  There was also strong confluence to our north. I'm shocked how much the 850's rose even though the surface barely budged. Lets see what the other models show. That is a serious high to the north that the nam portrays. With the strong confluence that the nam was showing, the low should have been a little more east than  hugging the coast.

NYC is still snow with those 700vvs:

There is going to be some serious banding over Northern NJ if the NAM is correct. With the 925mb thermal gradient tightening and these kinds of vertical velocities, someone is going to absolutely rip heavy snow right before the changeover and lightening precipitation.

Hopefully the NAM isn't too far off.

namNE_700_vvel_039.gif

29f8cyc.jpg

Ah its just weather..whatever happens,happens..expect nothing and be surprised if you get something..Living on Long Island is tough on these borderline events..especially like us on the south shore..

I know, and I'm definitely not expecting any kind of miracle here-it's still frustrating to see happen. I remember many of these kind of events from back in the late 1990s growing up. The worst part always seems to be that the snow changes over just as it starts to get really heavy here in these. It's still a much wintrier December than we normally have which you have to chalk up as a win.

The nam's placement of the high to our north was ideal.  There was also strong confluence to our north. I'm shocked how much the 850's rose even though the surface barely budged. Lets see what the other models show. That is a serious high to the north that the nam portrays.

The GFS will definitely be warm as well. I fear we may have to wait until tonights runs to see whether or not this cold air is being underestimated. 

Archived