gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
12/10 Winter Weather Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some of the underperformed was due to much lower snow ratios near the coast than was predicted

The surface temperatures not cooling off as much as was expected was the biggest killer, IMO. The snowflakes themselves were fine...had the surface temperatures been more solidly below freezing, there wouldn't have been any melting and I think the good ratios would have worked out. 

The surface temperatures not cooling off as much as was expected was the biggest killer, IMO. The snowflakes themselves were fine...had the surface temperatures been more solidly below freezing, there wouldn't have been any melting and I think the good ratios would have worked out. 

The surface wet-bulb temp were warmer than forecast by the NAM and GFS. Was supposed to help with more evaporative cooling.

First I've seen this.

I guess this will mean less recorded snow for all of us.

Al Gore will be relieved I'm sure.

:lmao:

So far today, the new guideline hasn't made any difference here.  It hasn't been snowing 6 hours yet.  Conceivably under last year's guidelines I could have been wiping a board at 2:30 (minimum of 6 hours) and starting over.  I might see what difference it makes today just for yucks.

even by me(inland) my temps hovered between 32.2 and 32.7 the whole time it snowed

Newark, NJ: 2.2" (old record 1.3" in 1961)
Kennedy, NY: 2.0" (old record 0.4" in 1961)
Central Park, NY: 1.4" (old record 1.3" in 1932)
Islip, NY: 0.9" (old record Trace in 2010)

Well, I guess I can take solace in the fact that this is historically not a good day for snow in these parts...

Archived