Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
12/10 Winter Weather Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah any NW folks that are feeling the blues should take a look at the GFS. Borderline warning criteria snows followed by several hours of ice.

If one was to believe the models from the past 3 events I should have over 10" on the ground. Instead I have a thin coating of snow on top of a thin layer of ice. I agree this weekend looks tempting for us but ill believe it when i see it.

1.6" as of 11:10.  With the revised snowfall measuring guidelines, it is possible we won't get much higher than that as the standard now is effectively to report maximum depth as snowfall.  Board should only be wiped once per day, ideally at the same time every day.

So...if my 1.6 melts off, then we get another inch this afternoon, the total I record would still be 1.6".  If the maximum snow depth reached 2" later, then that would be the total snowfall for today.  Pointing this out in case not everyone saw Ray's thread on the changed measuring guidelines.

Not a fan of ice tho.. Hopefully it trends a bit colder... Many model runs left

You stay the coldest aloft in the area with the 850 freezing line slicing through northern Orange County. That high is in a great spot for CAD and hopefully it trends stronger. You can't tell by this map but the surface freezing line at this hour is southeast of I-95.

gfs_namer_120_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

1.6" as of 11:10. With the revised snowfall measuring guidelines, it is possible we won't get much higher than that as the standard now is effectively to report maximum depth as snowfall. Board should only be wiped once per day, ideally at the same time every day.

So...if my 1.6 melts off, then we get another inch this afternoon, the total I record would still be 1.6". If the maximum snow depth reached 2" later, then that would be the total snowfall for today. Pointing this out in case not everyone saw Ray's thread on the changed measuring guidelines.

Really?..if it melted and another inch fell I believe you add the inch to what you recorded earlier no?

Really?..if it melted and another inch fell I believe you add the inch to what you recorded earlier no?

No.  That would be inflating your total.  Report the maximum depth as snowfall total.  I don't make the rules, but we should all follow the same rules:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41853-new-nws-snow-measurement-guide/

Round 2 has started here in CN. 2.5 had a lul and now the radar looks to fill in as the back edge near Harrisburg hopefully

Meets up with the back edge heading NE moving thru northern DE into CNJ then accross then NE

Think we end with 4

Steady snow now

Just re measured. Only 2 on the board. Lost a ill melting during the lul

Archived