joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 13-14th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extrapolating radar, I think it's gonna be a few hours before snow gets into most of Chicago.  Maybe as early as 9 PM far southern parts of the city and more like 11 PM or later far north.

CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SNOW LATE IN THE EVENING. SNOW AFTER

MIDNIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 2 INCHES. TEMPERATURES NEARLY

STEADY IN THE MID 20S. EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 90 PERCENT.

Short Term LOT issued 5:48 pm for Chicago Metro:

LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW ACROSS WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS IS QUICKLY

LIFTING TO THE NORTHEAST INTO AREAS FROM LA SALLE ILLINOIS

SOUTHEAST TO RENSSELAER INDIANA. EXPECT THIS LIGHT TO MODERATE

SNOW TO CONTINUE DEVELOPING AS IT MOVES NORTHEAST WITHIN THE NEXT

2 TO 3 HOURS...WITH VISIBILITY DROPPING TO UNDER 1 MILE. EXPECT

INITIAL WET ROADS TO BECOME SNOW COVERED THROUGH LATE THIS

EVENING...WITH THIS SNOW PERSISTING INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. AREA

TRAVELERS SHOULD USE CAUTION WITH THIS REDUCED VISIBILITY AS WELL

AS DEVELOPING SLIPPERY CONDITIONS.

longer than I would have guessed

EDIT: nm, SE MI did ok total wise last year but it was mostly nickel and dime events IIRC

There was 12/26/12, where Detroit picked up 6". It was nothing major though (a WWA was issued).

But otherwise, it has been painfully boring since February 2011 when it comes to any impressive snowstorms. 

0z NAM still looking really good for lake enhancement around the west end of Lake Ontario. Really locks in on Hamilton/Burlington before drifting north toward Oakville. 

Yeah, 4km NAM picks it up well. Too bad (well for Toronto at least) that the low over Lk Superior couldn't have been a tad more robust. That would have forced the winds to veer more than they likely will. It'll still be a close call but I'm thinking the band never will make it onshore in Toronto. With that in mind I'll keep my 4-6" range for Toronto as my final call but I'm dropping the locally higher amounts near Lk Ontario. While there's still a chance, it's too remote for it to be included in a forecast.

Thinking the bullseye will likely be in Oakville or west Mississauga were the band may stall for a bit. 10" seems probable here. 6-9" looks good for the rest of the Hamilton to Mississauga corridor I think.

There was 12/26/12, where Detroit picked up 6". It was nothing major though.

But otherwise, it has been painfully boring since February 2011 when it comes to any impressive snowstorms. 

There were actually 2 advisory snow events in March 2011 as well. The winter of 2010-11 had 8 advisory or warning snowstorms. What a way to close out a 4-year epic stretch. The good old days :wub:

The last two winters the biggest events were the Dec 26/27, 2012 snowstorm (6.2"), the Feb 10/11, 2012 arctic front (4.8") and the 3-day slushfest Feb 26-28 (7.1" over 3 days but never got to a depth of 7", it was one sloppy slushy LONG event). Some of the nickel and dime events are more impressive than others rate-wise (esp Jan 28, 2013, Feb 22, 2013, and our whiteout lake squalls) but at the end of the day its still a nickel and dime event.

Yeah, 4km NAM picks it up well. Too bad (well for Toronto at least) that the low over Lk Superior couldn't have been a tad more robust. That would have forced the winds to veer more than they likely will. It'll still be a close call but I'm thinking the band never will make it onshore in Toronto. With that in mind I'll keep my 4-6" range for Toronto as my final call but I'm dropping the locally higher amounts near Lk Ontario. While there's still a chance, it's too remote for it to be included in a forecast.

Thinking the bullseye will likely be in Oakville or west Mississauga were the band may stall for a bit. 10" seems probable here. 6-9" looks good for the rest of the Hamilton to Mississauga corridor I think.

Agree with you for the most part. I think ground zero for the lake enhancement will likely end up in the Burlington area, although we are just nitpicking when we get to that fine of a scale. Anywhere from Hamilton to Mississauga looks pretty good for at least 6", and as you said 10" or more is possible. Noticed that EC's forecast for Hamilton is 25-30cm when you include Friday Night, Saturday, and Saturday Night. Same goes for Southern Halton(Burlington/Oakville) sub-region as well. I work tomorrow, but will hopefully be able to do some shooting before and after work(maybe on break as well ;) ).

EDIT: 0z 4km NAM valid 12am Sunday.

ptot29.gif

Archived