• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
We ain't Philly, but let's observe anyway. Dec 8-9 Event Obs

moneypitmike

For a city that doesn't get hurricanes or any more severe wx than western SNE... Philadelphia is a pit for snow.

Amazingly, 8.6" there officially.... last winter they had 8.3" on the season!

Not sure I'd agree on the severe threat, I grew up the NW burbs about 20 miles out of the city and we got all kinds of good storms in the summer....much better than here.   Snow was weird, city often got half of what we got or just rained while we cashed in...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, upton's got snow all evening, yet radar is completely clear-energy's all offshore--where does any QPF come from tonight?

That impulse to the southwest of DC. I do think precip fills in a bit before it gets here with some light freezing drizzle/snow grains as warm advection strengthens.

Not sure I'd agree on the severe threat, I grew up the NW burbs about 20 miles out of the city and we got all kinds of good storms in the summer....much better than here.   Snow was weird, city often got half of what we got or just rained while we cashed in...

Compared to coastal CT probably but not Litchfield/Hartford Counties up through Berkshires and Albany. 

For a city that doesn't get hurricanes or any more severe wx than western SNE... Philadelphia is a pit for snow.

Amazingly, 8.6" there officially.... last winter they had 8.3" on the season!

Yeah...someone in the Philly obs thread earlier posted their 3.5" ob (with more to come) saying it surpassed anything they had seen the past 2 years. They deserved that today...good for them. I'll be even happier for them if Tuesday's NAM special comes together up here  :whistle:  As for Philly being a pit...I'd actually say the northern suburbs are pretty comparable to the shoreline up here. But downtown Philly and SE to the Jersey shore...yeah...forget about it!

Archived