gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter '13/'14 Banter/Complaint Thread Part 1

dmc76

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? The pattern reminds me of a La Nina-west gradient pattern with +AO. Strong ridges in the pacific and atlantic battling out it out. Arctic cold in the north central and warm in the southeast, everything in the middle a battle ground. I really can't see any big arctic outbreaks nationally unless we get a abnormal block ala the big -EPO the first half of December and that didn't penetrate overly far south. .

If someone had told you at the beginning of November what the major indices would be reading between thanksgiving and now....would you have expected us to get the weather we ended up with?   It's been a strange start to the season.

I'll pass on the cold and dry look the 06z GFS had. It would be like getting excited for hot and dry in the summer.

Agree totally, but would be passable if we had 6" of snow on the ground or more, which is definitely in the realm locally.  Hopefully SE Michiganders can garner some snow cover in the next few days, so if there is an arctic outbreak, it isn't as likely to be brown, cold and dry.

Agree totally, but would be passable if we had 6" of snow on the ground or more, which is definitely in the realm locally.  Hopefully SE Michiganders can garner some snow cover in the next few days, so if there is an arctic outbreak, it isn't as likely to be brown, cold and dry.

We will get some sort of snow no doubt, it wont be totally brown...Im just pissed that a 9-inch snowpack was destroyed, not even from a torch, just 3 days of torture...35-40F, fog, heavy rain, 100% humidity.

A year ago to the day...the big discussion in the forum was the December 25-26th storm.  It was forecasted to run up the OV somewhere in KY up to about the river and then transfer.   At this time, (around the 23rd, models were bulls-eyeing Toledo, Indy, Detroit and points sw.    Then right around the 12z runs on xmas eve things started taking an unlikely shift southeast.   By the 00z runs xmas eve night, the NAM was painting nearly a foot of snow across CMH.    I went to midnight mass grinning ear to ear.   Christmas day things started correcting back nw and the nasty NAM started showing the bullying WTOD.  The euro stayed firm, keeping us barely in all snow.   By Christmas late afternoon, blizzard warnings were issued for areas just north of the ohio river in Indiana up thru western OH.  We were riding the southeastern edge of snow, mix, slop.    Turned out to be a decent hit here, unfortunately the first several hours were wasted on sleet.

If i go below zero Mon-Tues, get missed north Wed and drop into the ultimate death freeze into the med range, it will go down as one of the worst stretches of weather ever.

Well you see, this is LAF's destiny with all of us this. Maybe not below zero right after this storm, but cold enough...and most likely with nothing on the ground. But, that was pretty much how some of the Dec cold shots have gone here this month...so why break the continuity. :arrowhead:

Well you see, this is LAF's destiny with all of us this. Maybe not below zero right after this storm, but cold enough...and most likely with nothing on the ground. But, that was pretty much how some of the Dec cold shots have gone here this month...so why break the continuity. :arrowhead:

Trends are looking up for laying down some snow...how much TBD.  Let's hope so...bare ground would be absolutely disgusting.

Trends are looking up for laying down some snow...how much TBD. Let's hope so...bare ground would be absolutely disgusting.

Eh, I don't have high hopes. I've totally dismissed anything for us with the Jan 1-2 storm. I guess the only hope I would have is if something pops right before the big big cold gets here. If it gets here though.

If we don't break this asinine streak of sub 6" single storm events that goes back to the GHD  '11 storm by the end of Jan I'm going to be filling this thread with daily outbursts of incoherent rants that will probably eventually get me banned.

I've had two this year.

**ducks**

Eh, they'll come again for you. Just a matter of time.

3 if you count the borderline early March storm as 6". 

You're right. We've lived well in 2013.

Haha you guys deserved it.  That screw job you guys got with the GHD event (with a touch of 12/1/06) gave you plenty of house money.  :santa:

Nov 30-Dec 1, 2006 was much worse. At least Feb 2007 paid us back big time. And...GHD did have epic sleet, so all was not lost.

Archived