• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 8th - 9th (2nd wave/winter storm discussion)

Zelocita Weather

The pattern is more promising than one might think. At least it's not a full on coast to coast torch like in past Decembers. The pattern is pretty epic for the Pacific NW and the amount of cold coming down for the northern plains is nothing to sneeze at either. They'll be seeing downright dangerous wind chills of -30 to -40 or lower. 

Yes, but the majority of the cold will be to our west...the SE ridge can be a killer for winter weather

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but the majority of the cold will be to our west...the SE ridge can be a killer for winter weather

What we need is a weak/moderate SE ridge and the cold over us but not too deep, that way we get a good battleground and hopefully we're on the cold side of the waves moving ENE along the boundary

I went to your website and went through the archives just by chance...I read your analysis (before, during and after the Feb 2013 blizzard) and must say that both the writing you did + the graphics you provided were pretty much the best I've seen related to that storm...

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in the response as I only now got a chance to read through the last few pages.

Regarding this storm, I would tend to think at least some front end snow or mix should fall, as there currently appears to be enough cold air initially in place thanks to the anomalously strong -EPO despite the positive 500mb height anomalies as others here have noted, but the southeast ridge in place and going by past experience does concern me regarding more amplification and a faster changeover to rain should it start as snow. This is still about 6 days out though and if this fall's medium range model verification is of any indication, it is still too early to determine the exact setup and how much snow vs. rain will fall with certainty. At least we're already tracking frozen precipitation potentials in early December and not stuck in a coast-to-coast warm pattern as with the last 2 Decembers waiting until the very end of the month.

On the recent models, the primary low doesn't transfer until it reaches the SNE area.  We need it to transfer much quicker.

This one doesn't get it done Anth , the trough axis is too far west and the systems are all gona cut either to your west or too close to you . And your winds are SE or E .

Without any Atlantic help the cold air is easily routed on the coastal plain , if anything the Euro has gone is the wrong direction and the Euro control run has this as a wet event

for 4 runs now . Hard to argue with the Euro , its  seeing the pattern correctly.

When the cold air comes  the Neg EPO does its job it gets it if from the right source , but its in and out and the Highs get out of the way rather easily as systems approach them .

Just MO

The main reason that it's going to be too warm here is that the high will be exiting the coast

instead of hanging back like we saw in 2008. Any initial cold air will get scoured out pretty

quickly as the winds turn onshore. 

Optimal set up

Unfavorable set up

We would have faired better with a stronger high, even given the poor placement. A 1032mb as modeled by the GFS isn't going to produce a good CAD setup. Earlier modeling had this high in the 1040mb+ range. It's still nearly a week out and a lot can change, but this looks like another moderate to heavy rain event. 

The GFS is colder already out to 120. So we got that going for us...

It's going to have a decent front end dump this run for the northern burbs, problem is that while it's cold enough for snow most of the good moisture is from Philly south. What the GFS is showing at 126 and 129 is probably virga.

By hour 138 the cold air is history. Both the surface and 850 freezing lines are up into upstate NY. Poconos and Orange County getting some snow. Secondary development east of ACY at 141.

Just a colder rain this run. Clown maps show 1-3" of snow NW of I-95. Legit ZR threat for far northern Sussex County up into Sullivan County. Rain totals are 1.5-2.00"+.

Don't even bother trying to analyze this storm run by run bottom line the coastal folks will see a solid period of snow from this to start I would say at least an average of 2 inches as of now based purely on similar past events of this type the models never grasp the degree of overrunning precip nor how tough the cold air is to move until 72 hours out

The 12z GFS actually looks better next Tuesday. It's digging more with the trough which keeps the front near our area and yet another wave develops. It's snowing hard NW of the city at hour 171. 850 freezing line is like 75-100 miles offshore. Surface freezing line is hung up over I-95. It's a 4-8" type deal NW of the city.

The 12z GFS actually looks better next Tuesday. It's digging more with the trough which keeps the front near our area and yet another wave develops. It's snowing hard NW of the city at hour 171. 850 freezing line is like 75-100 miles offshore. Surface freezing line is hung up over I-95. It's a 4-8" type deal NW of the city.

Tuesday looks interesting but it's not "snowing hard" NW of the city. Please less hype.

Archived