• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 8th - 9th (2nd wave/winter storm discussion)

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't even bother trying to analyze this storm run by run bottom line the coastal folks will see a solid period of snow from this to start I would say at least an average of 2 inches as of now based purely on similar past events of this type the models never grasp the degree of overrunning precip nor how tough the cold air is to move until 72 hours out

Bingo!!! The arctic air is not being handled correctly. I think this event ends up much colder.

Pretty sure that although the model runs in increments of 3 hours, the total precip is for the past 6 hours.

The paid high res maps I have show 3 hour accums. Regardless, the GFS bufkit sounding for KMMU shows 0.249" in 3 hours falling as snow with ratios of 19:1 for a total of 4.6" of snow.

Agreed. I've seen this happen all too often. The event's still in the D 5-6 range. If anyone thinks the current proggs are the final solution, well that's far from reality. Could it get even worse and warmer? Possibly. If the low ends up more amplified it will take a more inland track and torch most of the east coast. As we've discussed here, the regime to hope for is a series of weak lows that progressively lower heights in the Northeast so that the following weak low can lay down a trail of snow and ice. Intense, wound up storms are no good in a pattern where there's little to block their poleward movement. The low level cold air will be pressing next week so we'll see if any favorable changes occur in modeling the next few days.

Looks like a 1-3" front end thump for many (I-95 and west). I like the trend. Might be the first accumulating snow of the season for many. And of course I probably just jinxed it... I think the sleet is the wild card here, I wonder how long the cold air will hold on before the changeover to rain. 

Probably a legit advisory level event given the combination of snow, sleet and freezing rain. I just hate this fragile setups we seem to have all the time.

The 12z GGEM is back to showing something noteworthy

PT_PN_144_0000.gif

The 12z GGEM is back to showing something noteworthy

PT_PN_144_0000.gif

High moving off the coast sreaming e-se-erly winds and if they become ne-erly, they'll be blowing off of a 50 degree Atlantic ocean, 552dm thicknesses, only noteworthy for rain.

WX/PT

WX/PT

High moving off the coast sreaming e-se-erly winds and if they become ne-erly, they'll be blowing off of a 50 degree Atlantic ocean, 552dm thicknesses, only noteworthy for rain.

WX/PT

WX/PT

There's a weaker HP over NC, preventing a changeover to rain. It's countering the SE winds from the stronger HP. 

can you please share the website you use for the euro? thanks

It's storm vista. Paid service.

Snow maps show a foot plus over the next seven days over much of interior upstate NY down through central and western PA and down even into northern Arkansas. We get 2.50"-3.00"+ of QPF during that period.

Archived