Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
White Christmas Discussion 2013

Damage In Tolland

Here's the historical probs.  

Seems like this year has a higher than average chance based on the pattern, but as we know that can always change with one weenie dressed up as the Grinch

590x458_12101417_white_christmas.jpg

+NAO FTW per ensembles, although I honestly wouldn't mind a coating to 2" tops on Christmas. I don't think anybody wants a dry ground on this day. The more I think of it I think I'm actually speaking for all of you.

Here's the historical probs.  

Seems like this year has a higher than average chance based on the pattern, but as we know that can always change with one weenie dressed up as the Grinch

Hartford has a surprisingly high percentage of Christmas mornings with at least an inch of snow on the ground. 61% (compared to 54% for ORH, 46% for PVD, and 24% for BOS). If you really want to weenie out, an older Hartford observing site (not BDL) had 28" snow depth on 12/25/45.

Hartford has a surprisingly high percentage of Christmas mornings with at least an inch of snow on the ground. 61% (compared to 54% for ORH, 46% for PVD, and 24% for BOS). If you really want to weenie out, an older Hartford observing site (not BDL) had 28" snow depth on 12/25/45.

That is surprising - I wouldn't have thought it was that high.  I thought it was closer to 50% but perhaps that was older data.  Are those based on 30 year averages or all time?

That is surprising - I wouldn't have thought it was that high.  I thought it was closer to 50% but perhaps that was older data.  Are those based on 30 year averages or all time?

That must be all time. In the current normals period it's only happened six times. I don't know where the 61% came from as BDL's threaded climate record shows 59 Christmases out of 108 with at least one inch on the ground.

That must be all time. In the current normals period it's only happened six times. I don't know where the 61% came from as BDL's threaded climate record shows 59 Christmases out of 108 with at least one inch on the ground.

Yeah that makes more sense. Those number don't seem to completely jive just knowing climo alone.

The early returns on the pattern around that time frame are not at all encouraging.

I'd bet against it.

I don't think this is a going to be a gradient '"lock down" the likes of Dec 2007, and 2008....more of just a transient window of opportunity centered on the 2nd week of the month.

Don't think that this month snows a ton.

it only counts as a white xmas if the snow falls on xmas IMO

No. 

Snow on the ground on Christmas day. 1" or 80% ground coverage.

So a few flakes falling between 2:00am and 6:00am that no one sees with no coverage after it stops is o.k.?

It's almost impossible to thread that needle of snow falling on Christmas. 

No.

Snow on the ground on Christmas day. 1" or 80% ground coverage.

So a few flakes falling between 2:00am and 6:00am that no one sees with no coverage after it stops is o.k.?

It's almost impossible to thread that needle of snow falling on Christmas.

no. snow that falls xmas day and accumulates 1" or more

what did you get in 02?

That is the one caveat.....it started during the day on xmas, and we ended up with about 5", before a transition to sleet and a dry slot ensued.

Technically, that fits the bill, but the glow was dimmed for me by the fact that what could have been a huge event was so heavily tainted...and the timing was off a good 12-18 hours.

That is the closest I've come, though.

That is the one caveat.....it started during the day on xmas, and we ended up with about 5", before a transition to sleet and dry slot ensued.

Technically, that fits the bill, but the glow was dimmed for me by the fact that what could have been a huge event was so heavily tainted...and the timing was off a good 12-18 hours.

That is the closest I've come, though.

I agree...I can't recall a true event like that as well. Kind of ironic that the one, true holiday snow occurred during a time where the stars need to line up for snow...Thanksgiving 1989.

I agree...I can't recall a true event like that as well. Kind of ironic that the one, true holiday snow occurred during a time where the stars need to line up for snow...Thanksgiving 1989.

Never forget that....was living down the other end of town, right on the Reading line....had just turned 9 YO, and distinctly remember working up an appetite shoveling the walk way just prior to dinner...too lazy to combat the entirety of the driveway....I was a porker in those days lol

My long range weenie outlook is actually for a possible return to more favorable wx around that time should we relax. That's about a WAG as you'll find, but there is a little science behind it.

Outties crossed.

Someone should muster the courage to stray from the traditional conformity to society, and replace that crusty, 'ole archaic, torching star atop the tree with a weenie.....

just standing tall, upright, and unabated....a beacon of weenie hope in the face of an unfavorable Atlantic, as we carry on in our crusade for that elusive yuletide KU. The glow of the lights from the tree below just riding right up the merry shaft, tinsel lining the base.....Kev....Bueller??

Outties crossed.

Someone should muster the courage to stray from the traditional conformity to society, and replace that crusty, 'ole archaic, torching star atop the tree with a weenie.....

just standing tall, upright, and unabated....a beacon of weenie hope in the face of an unfavorable Atlantic, as we carry on in our crusade for that elusive yuletide KU. The glow of the lights from the tree below just riding right up the merry shaft, tinsel lining the base.....Kev....Bueller??

:lmao: I think they may have something like that in the adult novelty store down the street.

I'd like to see something like 2002 or even 1966, which was before my time. In '02 I was at my mother's house in St. Louis. The snow ripped on Christmas Eve, eventually piling up to 9" at her house. On December 26th, I flew up to Boston and then down to ACK where they were still being buffeted by the residual clearing wind. No snow otg at ACK from what I recall.

Hell, from my years on ACK I only recall snow falling on Christmas Day once and that was in 1993 when that Arctic front came through. In '95 we had about an inch of snow otg for a white Xmas.

Archived