• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Pattern Disco- 2013

Damage In Tolland

We could have a few days next week of "cheap cold"....the sfc high kind of noses down but mid-level temps are warm. I could envision a night or two where the rad spots are way colder than you'd think just looking at an 850 temp map. And even if we get onshore flow from that pseudo-coastal with 850 temps of +4, we could see highs in the 30s with rain. Avg temps are still in the 40s the first week of December...even at ORH (well the first 5 days anyway)...so that's how I could see us being slightly colder than first glance at upper levels.

Yeah it's def a cheap cold look at the low levels. I think otherwise it may be boring. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least there are no signs of the dateline ridge weakening...none. I've seen rumors it might try to retro during mid month which would be bad...but for  now, she's not going anywhere. So, it's a matter of how deep the troughs out west are and how much oozes east. We are near the battle zone and stakes are high...just remember that so you won't be disappointed, but I think we are going to have some fun too.  The euro wants to bring the MJO into warmer phases which will enhance the gradient more and perhaps..perhaps make it more hostile week 2 or so? It also could remain weak and circle around which would not do much. The weeklies bring it around again into more favorable phases after mid month. 2007 and 2008 had more hostile phases too and we got buried so it;s not always bad for SNE..just makes it more interesting I guess..lol.  Wheeeeeee.  For now, weenies crossed...deep down I think we are ok as long as you don't expect 30" of snow.

Any cheap ll cold next week will be welcomed. We don't need days in the 40's and 50's in winter. As long as folks keep in back of minds that next week may not be all that mild

I could see Thursday and Friday as 40s-50  and also..cheap cold means avg highs which are in the 40s. Maybe Monday is colder.

Just when things were looking good for december now its looking ugly with the AO rising like crazy and the pna being negative. Plus the MJO is now also giving us trouble for any persistent cold weather and snow in the eastern US and eastern canada where I am from.

:weenie:

Sounds like you haven't read a thing about the pattern.

I don't see it as boring at all... But to each his own...

As I was describing earlier, the later middle range period has some markers for freezing/frozen...  In fact, the 12z Euro, although it is not very deterministic given to the D7 time range, this particular Dec 2/3 system has been flagged for many cycles, and I suspect if these synoptic features are arranged this way, this event trends colder in future guidance (high up N notwithstanding...)

f168.gif

Euro verbatim has Tip's ice storm next week 

Well, "verbatim"    ?  No....   But I think what you mean is, it's trending toward a possibility, there in...   Actually, could be a day of mix snitzle the day before a more organized coastal gets going as a possible correction, too.   Still less determinism here...

The day 10 EURO map is going to look much better. At 216 almost looks like we are trying to get a block to form. 

was just saying that to someone in my office.  I don't think those panels depict the impact of the 50/50 correctly.  That huge low in the middle of canada seems to be culprit.  if later guidence can ease up on that feature, then maybe we can get some cold air to work with.  There are surface low reflections all over the base of the trough out west, so there will be action.  I kind of like the look for early December. 

ensembles have next week as relatively mild. thereafter quite chilly. 

They look great after the relaxation period Dec 3-6. That post Dec 6th look is pretty awesome. Lets hope it sticks around. We'd probably have multiple events to track in that setup.

Last week of November looks cold, but after DEC 2nd looks like a good warm up is possible.  However my questions reside in the potential clipper system around November 30th and December 1st.  What is more likely, a more amplified solution in the future, or a more flat solution?  NAM is amplifying this clipper ever so slightly in previous runs.  SOmething to just keep an eye out for.

Archived