• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December and a Hint of January Pattern Discussion

Bob Chill

Weekend storm still wet verbatim. 12z gfs shows a 50/50 in place and plenty of cold in front but the ss vort phases with some ns energy and it cuts. The cold hp slides off the coast and there's nothing in SE canada to help. It's a viable solution but the threat isn't dead. Less phasing would certainly help. I personally don't see how it gets better than messy at our latitude. Could end up being miller b'ish for SNE. Maybe someone else sees more promise. I don't. 

Sat could end up being a dicey front end forecast...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sat could end up being a dicey front end forecast...

yes, it could. Pretty much a classic cad sig on the euro and plenty of waa running into it. Not a cold and deep with the hp at this range but strength and placement of anything at this range will change many times. 

At the very least, a 1030+hp in a good spot and precip overunning CAD verbatim.

Too bad everything keeps pointing to a west or runner with the surface low. Could end up being a miller b.....

yes, it could. Pretty much a classic cad sig on the euro and plenty of waa running into it. Not a cold and deep with the hp at this range but strength and placement of anything at this range will change many times.

At the very least, a 1030+hp in a good spot and precip overunning CAD verbatim.

Too bad everything keeps pointing to a west or runner with the surface low. Could end up being a miller b.....

If it is a classic CAD signal you can double down on the odds it will be colder than modeled. Also, at range, yesterday was also supposed to be a low west of the apps.

18z brings back the interest. Still an oh valley primary with mix on the front but a wall of hp is showing up across southern canada. No good track has been shown yet but a trend towards more chance for a mix before rain or even a miller B (not good for us I don't think).

it shows everything but snow...so Im out

18z brings back the interest. Still an oh valley primary with mix on the front but a wall of hp is showing up across southern canada. No good track has been shown yet but a trend towards more chance for a mix before rain or even a miller B (not good for us I don't think).

It depends. An eastern OV low that jumps early is exactly what last Christmas was. Jan of 2009 is another example of a good one. This is definitely worth watching. Heck it may even trend away from a strong low west of the Apps like yesterday did.

It's not close on the op. Primary into central oh and a jump to Atlantic city. 850's are a mess well before good precip gets here.

Only 2 ways this gives us any snow is a cut to Chicago with a mixy mess or a jump from ky to the va capes. I haven't seen anything that gives either much hope.

Keeping the whole complex below us and off the coast needs a block that nothing shows that.

A weak solution might work if it tracks up the apps and never transfers but that is still snow to rain.

Things can change for sure but no promising signs are apparent yet.

I took some time and looked at the last couple gfs ops and gfs/euro ensembles. Beyond the weekend keeps improving. SS remains active and tapped. Heights along the wc and goa definitely seems to be biased towards ridging.

One thing that has faded is the big mid month relaxation. It looks like a lot of cool/cold shots with moderation in between. Active storm track with plenty of opportunity. Not a classic cold snowy pattern but one that will keep us entertained.

This month for many unexpected reasons appears to want to be fun. White Christmas? Heh, maybe?

I took some time and looked at the last couple gfs ops and gfs/euro ensembles. Beyond the weekend keeps improving. SS remains active and tapped. Heights along the wc and goa definitely seems to be biased towards ridging.

One thing that has faded is the big mid month relaxation. It looks like a lot of cool/cold shots with moderation in between. Active storm track with plenty of opportunity. Not a classic cold snowy pattern but one that will keep us entertained.

This month for many unexpected reasons appears to want to be fun. White Christmas? Heh, maybe?

Mid month is in 5'days

It keeps getting closer. Be crazy to give up on this. I don't care what the Euro says (it did really well with today, huh)

You have a lot more room to work with than us folks farther east. Not complaining - just sayin'.

Things have trended in our favor the last week or so, but I'm not going to hang my hat on that happening again.

GFS trying to get some invested this run, slowly is trending colder. Would really be tough to get some good front end precip however in wintry form. Not a big CAD setup like this past weekend. 

GFS does want to do a miller B set-up, just develops the secondary a bit far north. 32 degree line stays close to the cities and is an icing event for those far n/w again. Some front end snow could could could happen for some places if it juices up a bit. 

Archived