Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 16th-18th Storm General Discussion/Obs

Geos

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, I was out of town for this one. Looks like my place survived and mostly has power. Seeing numerous reports of trees and powerlines down all around town and campus. Purdue, West Laf, and lafayette police all requesting everyone stay indoors. LAF reported a 69 mph gust so not a surprise.

Power went out for a few hours here.  Winds were intense.  Seems like the heaviest damage in the county is south of LAF but have also heard about some pockets of decent damage in LAF proper. 

Sounds like a freight train outside with the wind howling. Last time we had a wind event this strong, lost power for 3 days.

Already lost power twice in the last hour. I expect to lose it for a while before the night is out. Got the generator ready just in case.

It was kind of a bust for semi michigan as far as big storms go, but this wind is making up for it

Short clip from earlier as I encountered some falling debris from the Washington storm.  Was sort of an eerie feeling as I knew that it probably took a pretty strong tornado to do that, and it had likely hit a populated area.  This went on for several miles as I punched south to get a look at the rain-free base.  At the end of the clip it's the final moments of the chase as the now rain-wrapped meso pull away.

EDIT: Here's a 2nd vid from a bit earlier on.  I wasted way too much time on this storm.  On radar it looked like it might try to wrap up, but never came close.  Still not sure why I sat here so long. 

No gusts downtown Toronto. Wind isn't very impressive yet. Looks like Windsor is getting slammed now with winds.

Yes some serious winds wrapping around behind the system. Grand Rapids recorded a 68mph non-thunderstorm gust around 9pm so that will be moving this way.

I've circled those winds below. Associated with the dry air punching in. You can see it on the water vapour loop too. Cool feature, sometimes referred to as a sting jet.

0mr8241.png

Had a good thunder storm just after dark. Had a massive crack to finish the season out just feet from the house. Winds a howlin and stuff flying about the yard but nothing like the devastation from earlier in the day to the west. Seen some video of the aftermath and it reminded me of a spring event rather than fall. Just considering ourselves lucky.

Earlobe:

6jES1y1.gif

Sounds like a hurricane is blowing outside!

Sideways rain and winds gusting over 40mph here. Drove back from Kenosha and there was limbs littering the road.

Impressive comma shape on radar.

attachicon.gifcomma111713.png

Edit: 1.00" of rain exactly between today and yesterday.

Thinking the NAM did a good job on the storm.

I ended up watching things remotely on a webcam but it didn't look like things got very windy (garden variety) on the north side. Lost power for a couple minutes so I'm not sure what happened during that time. Think I lucked out there.

Power went out for a few hours here.  Winds were intense.  Seems like the heaviest damage in the county is south of LAF but have also heard about some pockets of decent damage in LAF proper. 

I ended up watching things remotely on a webcam but it didn't look like things got very windy (garden variety) on the north side. Lost power for a couple minutes so I'm not sure what happened during that time. Think I lucked out there.

Talk about coincidences...this video was shot by a guy who lives in the same complex as me!  Not very long and no audio but it gives an idea.

Archived