Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Arctic front and some rain showers changing to snow showers

ORH_wxman

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that because those areas seem to be in the best combination of having a bit more moisture and lift, yet still a decently cold surface? I honestly haven't examined BUFKIT for all that many sites. 

Yeah well what might happen is as the trough sharpens, you'll get the echoes blossoming but also slowing their march southeastward at the same time. The combo of that plus CAA at the surface could yield a coating or maybe even an inch or so in spots. The wildcard is just how organized will this thing get. If it gets its act together too late than it's nothing but mangled flakes down there. The boundary layer also will need to cool, but that will be hastened if the precip falls at a steady clip.

Yeah well what might happen is as the trough sharpens, you'll get the echoes blossoming but also slowing their march southeastward at the same time. The combo of that plus CAA at the surface could yield a coating or maybe even an inch or so in spots. The wildcard is just how organized will this thing get. If it gets its act together too late than it's nothing but mangled flakes down there. The boundary layer also will need to cool, but that will be hastened if the precip falls at a steady clip.

That makes a lot of sense and I didn't even consider that...the flow becoming more meridional could definitely act to slow the progression of the precip while also prolonging the lift and blossoming the echoes. The decently southerly component at the midlevels could try to make up for the lack of initial moisture. 

Good luck with the snow down there.

What'd you get? Come snow season, hope you get a load of sand to weigh down the back. Nothing like a good set of studded snows to complete the ensemble.

Looks like some returns over the higher elevations. Not sure if anything is hitting the ground, but perhaps its allowing for some evaporational cooling. Could use some of that here--a painstaking slow temp drop tonight.

40.3/28

For you guys watching and waiting I posted this in NNE from Winooski, VT in the CPV (near BTV):

Wow that was one of the most rapid changeovers I have seen. i would say as soon as this main band hit with the front it took 1-2 minutes to go from rain to snow/sleet to mostly snow. We have about 0.1" in Winooski and although it has lightened up some it is still snowing.  Despite the rain everything dusted quickly.

I upgraded from my 03 dakota to a 2011 silverado. To be honest, i miss the dodge so far, but it is a nice truck. I usually put cinderblocks between the 2 x 10 slots in the bedliner.

Virga town her earlier, my son is a monster so I haven't been outside in hours but nothin is goin on atm

Nice.  I've got 2007 F-150.  I don't know what I'd do without it.  Only has 75k on it, but I'm running it constantly here at the Pit.  Lots to move around.

Not sure how long it'll take for these echos to reach the ground--haven't seen any nearby reports that they are.

38.6/28

For you guys watching and waiting I posted this in NNE from Winooski, VT in the CPV (near BTV):

Wow that was one of the most rapid changeovers I have seen. i would say as soon as this main band hit with the front it took 1-2 minutes to go from rain to snow/sleet to mostly snow. We have about 0.1" in Winooski and although it has lightened up some it is still snowing.  Despite the rain everything dusted quickly.

Congrats!

Meanwhile, this is just plain ugly for 10:45 in mid-November.

post-462-0-89640000-1384228083_thumb.jpg

Nice. I've got 2007 F-150. I don't know what I'd do without it. Only has 75k on it, but I'm running it constantly here at the Pit. Lots to move around.

Not sure how long it'll take for these echos to reach the ground--haven't seen any nearby reports that they are.

Side bar: the truck only had 15k, and my father in law is good friends with dealer, so I couldn't pass, can't wait to see how she handles snow, now that I am in the north country

38.6/28

Was just lookin at the radar around buffalo, some decent returns just south, hope things pan out, first real snow is always exciting, espically driving to beantown in it!

GFS really tries to slow down the back edge as it exits stage right...pretty decent looking soundings too for areas in SE MA before it ends.

Was just looking at some 00z 4km nam soundings for my parents area down on Long Island for the morning tomorrow...looks halfway decent. Snow growth is quite good.

Was just looking at some 00z 4km nam soundings for my parents area down on Long Island for the morning tomorrow...looks halfway decent. Snow growth is quite good.

Yeah the snow growth region is quite deep on the soundings. If the precip is falling just halfway decent, then it could cause a nice burst of moderate snow and a quick accumulation.

Its kind of a tough forecast for such a paltry event...since it could briefly be fairly high impact or be almost nothing at all. If somewhere like Foxoborough with a bit of elevation on I-95 goes to SN at 30F for an hour or two tomorrow morning during rush hour, it could get pretty ugly.

Maybe an inch in the taunton area?

Best chance for that is probably to your NW with some elevation, but I think a good coating possibly. HRRR continues bullish with the precip blossoming and hanging tough as the flow aloft turns a bit more SW...meanwhile colder air filters in at the surface. Despite the 50F temps currently, strong CAA and melting of snow as it falls into the warmer column will really plummet temps quickly after the front moves through. I think many will be surprised how fast it drops. Melting snow requires energy and hence helps lower temps. That's why many marginal events love to hang near 32F.

Best chance for that is probably to your NW with some elevation, but I think a good coating possibly. HRRR continues bullish with the precip blossoming and hanging tough as the flow aloft turns a bit more SW...meanwhile colder air filters in at the surface. Despite the 50F temps currently, strong CAA and melting of snow as it falls into the warmer column will really plummet temps quickly after the front moves through. I think many will be surprised how fast it drops. Melting snow requires energy and hence helps lower temps. That's why many marginal events love to hang near 32F.

Thanks for the insight. I was getting a little curious as to when temps were supposed to start dropping as it was 50 degrees the last time I checked, but that makes a lot of sense. Just need to get the precip going to make it happen.

Obviously will be happy for anybody who may exceed expectations, as many around here are i the same boat in regards to getting the seasons first snowfall.

I think sw Ct over to sw RI stands a decent shot tommorrow 6-10 am , as there is some decent elevation (300-500ft) just several miles from the shoreline and i think it seems they are best situated to make best of sharpening trough.

Possible the hilly areas in se mass do well also, i think best precip likely sets up SE of the Easton/Foxboro areas w ok elevation so i would have much lower confidence, Also wondering if its like a 35f snow there after some rain.

Thanks for the insight. I was getting a little curious as to when temps were supposed to start dropping as it was 50 degrees the last time I checked, but that makes a lot of sense. Just need to get the precip going to make it happen.

Obviously will be happy for anybody who may exceed expectations, as many around here are i the same boat in regards to getting the seasons first snowfall.

It may fall slightly due to evaporational cooling in any shwrs before the front noes through, but it really won't fall until after frontal passge. Good luck, it's one of those events that either produces or nothing really at all. At least a coating is within reach I think down there. Maybe a bit more.

Archived