12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Arctic front and some rain showers changing to snow showers

ORH_wxman

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much sums up what everyone is thinking so far on this threat.

http://ryanhanrahan.com/2013/11/11/first-snow-of-the-season-for-many/

Not a whole lot more to say right now other than we'll have to watch the radar as this starts to unfold. I think a coating to an inch for many but I could easily see this becoming a non-event if we don't get rates up enough.

The Dec 2003 event was a true WINDEX event with rapidly falling temps in the 20s down to the Cape. I don't see that this time around, but maybe the hill towns fall to like 29-30 if the snow comes down briefly moderately.

Starting to feel a mini fun zone over parts of RI and SE MA. Probably interior SE MA higher spots like Will said, but if it does get a boost nearing the south coast..it's possible TAN and areas like that could get a surprise. If this is not organized then all bets are off, but I wouldn't be shocked.

The Dec 2003 event was a true WINDEX event with rapidly falling temps in the 20s down to the Cape. I don't see that this time around, but maybe the hill towns fall to like 29-30 if the snow comes down briefly moderately.

Starting to feel a mini fun zone over parts of RI and SE MA. Probably interior SE MA higher spots like Will said, but if it does get a boost nearing the south coast..it's possible TAN and areas like that could get a surprise. If this is not organized then all bets are off, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Yup.  Fun times for Bob.

Just noticed that BOX stuck a fork in it for GC with the latest zfp calling for little or no accumulation.

Temp ticking slowly down here, but there's a long way to go.

44.0/27 off a noon-time high off 3-hour plateau between 12:00 and 3:00 between 45-46.

Yup.  Fun times for Bob.

Just noticed that BOX stuck a fork in it for GC with the latest zfp calling for little or no accumulation.

Temp ticking slowly down here.

44.0/27 off a noon-time high off 3-hour plateau between 12:00 and 3:00 between 45-46.

Well that's not to say you guys won't get something...you probably will. Obviously the high spots like the ORH hills as well. I mean more for SE MA area..it may exit stage right with a burst of wet snow. Maybe only a coating, but most this morning had rain it seemed. I'll fire up a euro weenie map for the hell of it. Personally I don't see widespread 1-2, but like always...someone will get an overachieving band  that may do it. Probably C-1" or so like other said. It's really meaningless to argue totals with such meager amounts anyways...but first flakes are fun and festive.

Pretty much sums up what everyone is thinking so far on this threat.

http://ryanhanrahan.com/2013/11/11/first-snow-of-the-season-for-many/

Not a whole lot more to say right now other than we'll have to watch the radar as this starts to unfold. I think a coating to an inch for many but I could easily see this becoming a non-event if we don't get rates up enough.

I like what I'm seeing off to the west upstream...some good snow rates and a fast flip with that airmass. Obviously it doesn't have to mean we'll get the same...their drop in temps is probably faster than we'll see being in the midwest away from mountain and coastal influence...but it's still nice to see that happen in the middle of daytime. We'll at least have timing on our side for trying to get colder.

Good discussion.

Is there am estimation for precip start time later tonite for say, Orh and Bos (ball park). I have very little time to look at things today but was wondering latest trends.

Prob just after midnight for both...maybe an hour earlier for ORH. It will be rain though to start. Probably nothing interesting to see until 4 or 5am.

Looks like a mini screw zone up here. 18Z NAM doesn't even drop me a hydrometeor. Hopefully it's a little over performer for you guys down there. These RA>SN frontal events are always tricky.

The NAM is dropping temps like 4F per hour between 08z and 12z. I'm wondering how it will play out. It did that out west of here this afternoon, but its always a little tougher closer to the coast and east of mountains.

The fever pitch in here is palpable... ha.   Can you imagine if dry really did beget dry and nothing happened.  The models just unilaterally busted too wet and it was just a virga parade?   Oh man, the abject state of affairs if that ever happened.   laughing...

But, the reason that dark humor occurred to me is that I was looking at BUF radar off and on over the last 3 hours.  They've had a band of high light, to low-end moderate echoes over them the whole time, and they have not reported any ground truth.  I am also noticing a 20F DP depression there.   

Here's the rub... Where light cold rain has gone to snow in western Mich and NE Ill.,  their start off DP depressions were on the order of a mere 10 or 12F.  We on the other hand have bit more of a dry issue locally.  I am just wondering if this arctic boundary might supersede the atm ability to get that SW flow of 33F DP, like that which took place in the southern Lakes.  Just a thought...   

Oh wait...haha, looked at the wrong row on the obs sheet.  BUF is pouring!

The fever pitch in here is palpable... ha.   Can you imagine if dry really did beget dry and nothing happened.  The models just unilaterally busted too wet and it was just a virga parade?   Oh man, the abject state of affairs if that ever happened.   laughing...

That it is, lol.  I leave to go play in the snow for a couple hours and there's 4 pages on a D-2" threat.  Must be that early season first flakes potential for the populous.

Intellicast has a nice depiction of the progress of this deal...

Yeah, I really like their radar scheme.  They are usually pretty darn accurate with rain vs. snow depictions, especially in elevation events.  The only thing about it is it sometimes looks more impressive than reality/ground truth, but you get that with any radar using the composite function.

Yeah, I really like their radar scheme.  They are usually pretty darn accurate with rain vs. snow depictions, especially in elevation events.  The only thing about it is it sometimes looks more impressive than reality/ground truth, but you get that with any radar using the composite function.

I've noticed that too... These national depictions are smoother and look more ominous.  Then if you click the regional scope there's grainier with holes.  

Yeah, I really like their radar scheme. They are usually pretty darn accurate with rain vs. snow depictions, especially in elevation events. The only thing about it is it sometimes looks more impressive than reality/ground truth, but you get that with any radar using the composite function.

With dual pol now we should get some better ptype radar algorithms.

Archived