• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Arctic front and some rain showers changing to snow showers

ORH_wxman

We'll continue the discussion pertaining to the arctic front, snow showers (or even a burst of steadier snow) and very cold temps in here.

My quick thoughts:

1. The biggest story will be the cold. It won't be long lasting (about 2 days), but high temps may not make it above freezing on Wednesday. Record low maxes are in jeopardy for some.

2. The arctic front shoul dhave a band of precip just behind it that will probably start as rain showers for most...but then transition to snow before ending. The soundings briefly become isothermal between about 600-700mb at -10 to -11C...this could allow for a burst of steadier snow that starts to accumulate before it end...we'll have to watch that.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll continue the discussion pertaining to the arctic front, snow showers (or even a burst of steadier snow) and very cold temps in here.

My quick thoughts:

1. The biggest story will be the cold. It won't be long lasting (about 2 days), but high temps may not make it above freezing on Wednesday. Record low maxes are in jeopardy for some.

2. The arctic front shoul dhave a band of precip just behind it that will probably start as rain showers for most...but then transition to snow before ending. The soundings briefly become isothermal between about 600-700mb at -10 to -11C...this could allow for a burst of steadier snow that starts to accumulate before it end...we'll have to watch that.

Both american models amped up the QPF and dynamics a bit, nice.  I'm wondering if there is going to be a narrow band of fairly "intense" early season snow or if it's a little too far SE, snow and rain mixed.

not bad really. wouldn't be shocked at all to see a coating on the grass right to the S coast. soundings look like an hour or two of steady light snow.

From 6z NAM.

I noticed that the 12z GFS is a bit juicier. 00z Euro ensembles had around 0.1" for the I-84 corridor and just shy of 0.2" QPF down by GON. 

Yeah as long as we actually keep this precip going through about 12z, I see no reason why we can't have a quick burst of steadier snow to the coastline.  

I also would keep an eye for a potential flash freeze in the 10-12z range over the interior. We could go from like 34F to 28F pretty quickly with steady snow falling...this could actually be a pretty nasty morning commute if that pans out...obviously a lot will depend on if we can get that steadier burst of precip versus just spottier/lighter stuff.

Yeah as long as we actually keep this precip going through about 12z, I see no reason why we can't have a quick burst of steadier snow to the coastline.  

I also would keep an eye for a potential flash freeze in the 10-12z range over the interior. We could go from like 34F to 28F pretty quickly with steady snow falling...this could actually be a pretty nasty morning commute if that pans out...obviously a lot will depend on if we can get that steadier burst of precip versus just spottier/lighter stuff.

Yup that's the concern. I'm not sure how this plays off but there are a few signals pointing toward a relatively high impact event for very little snow. First of the season, flash freeze possibility, etc. 

Yup that's the concern. I'm not sure how this plays off but there are a few signals pointing toward a relatively high impact event for very little snow. First of the season, flash freeze possibility, etc. 

Yeah...timing too. 6-8am could be nasty in spots which obviously coincides with morning commute.

Yeah...timing too. 6-8am could be nasty in spots which obviously coincides with morning commute.

Definitely... that's what I meant to mention first in the impact list lol. 

Interested to see what the Euro shows since the Euro has been a bit more bullish on this the entire time. 

I firmly believe many of us see at least 1 inch and some lucky folks will see 2. I've been thinking this for several days even when others were chuckling at me. 

I almost think there might be 2 max zones..One interior elevated..maybe a shaft zone and then S Ri and SE Mass with 1-2

Ch. 7 and 25 are both saying north of BOS and out towards ORH. Perhaps a dusting in BOS, but it will melt off. 5 says that most of eastern Mass will see measurable snow.

Definitely... that's what I meant to mention first in the impact list lol. 

Interested to see what the Euro shows since the Euro has been a bit more bullish on this the entire time. 

Yeah..I could see this over-performing expectations compared to the actual written forecast given the potential factors already mentioned...brief burst of steadier snow, flash freeze potential, etc. People see a dusting to maybe a half inch or inch and wouldn't expect any issues.

It could also just end up as a few flakes if that little band can't really get organized, but I think seeing guidance not back off (if anything maybe slightly ramp up) on the system is a good sign for those trying to squeeze out a wintry looking morning.

Considering the strength of the incoming cold, could areas that see early morning rain turn into areas of icing?

No, the mid-levels will cool first (actually they are already marginally cold enough for snow even before the front in MA/NH/VT) which will prevent any chance for icing.

The ice that will need to be watched is a flash freeze though on roadways early tomorrow. Best chance will be in the interior where some upper 20s may occur while we still have a saturated airmass with snow falling.

looking forward to it.

Like Will and Ryan said, it may not come together for all areas, but it has a sneaky look to it where people probably throw the mets under the bus because of some sort of high impact of icy roads (esp elevated interior).  "They never mentioned this..." could be something thrown around. :lol: But, this forum did.

No, the mid-levels will cool first (actually they are already marginally cold enough for snow even before the front in MA/NH/VT) which will prevent any chance for icing.

The ice that will need to be watched is a flash freeze though on roadways early tomorrow. Best chance will be in the interior where some upper 20s may occur while we still have a saturated airmass with snow falling.

Nice, some light snow will be more festive than 50 car pile ups outside my house anyway. Although sometimes a sneaky inch leaves roads somewhat neglected and people drive worse than they do in a 6" storm.

Like Will and Ryan said, it may not come together for all areas, but it has a sneaky look to it where people probably throw the mets under the bus because of some sort of high impact of icy roads (esp elevated interior). "They never mentioned this..." could be something thrown around. :lol: But, this forum did.

just hoping if the flash freeze is possible DPW is aware. 12-18 in the VT MTS last night,pretty sweet.

Archived