• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Should Philly and NYC be merged back together?

famartin

Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A clear majority want to stay seperate. If that is what you want, I will try to keep us independent. I assumed a majority of you would want to rejoin the NYC sub-forum but the poll results say differently.

Yeah, we're really going to give that poll a lot of weight (seriously).   You guys have to post here, so we think members here should have a say.

I was all for a merge, but after seeing the poll, I'm a little weary of doing it.

I think we should remain seperate for now and see what happens when we get our first storm chances. This board maybe quiet for a few weeks but when we have actual storms to track, if we can pick up activity and even some new posters, we will be more likely to as is.

Agree. Lets see how it shakes out.

From a SCNJ/JS perspective Philly forum has been the best with "specialized" demographics during past winter events. My perspective is now you have a group in our area that don't fit the NYC thread and to far north for the Mid Atlantic MD/NDE area. I know majority usually gets what they want but sometime the squeaky wheel gets the oil... I know you can’t make all areas happy but from Trenton/East and South will get lost in the NYC threads (my opinion)... So be it, but you can't say that we (Coastal/South-Central NJ) haven't brought the most dynamic and diverse winter weather in recent memory.

The Philly thread fit the bill... Thank You

Yes. The decision to split the two forums was stupid in the first place. It split apart a great, dynamic group of posters and made it more bothersome to navigate. It's not like a DCA / NYC split or a NYC / BOS type split. NYC and PHL metro areas are very similar climate wise, and the small differences can be taken care of via different threads. The more the merrier in my opinion. It's more enjoyable to post in a forum where there's a larger number of posters. Philly forum was probably one of the smallest crowds on the board, so it made even less sense to isolate them from the NYC forum. That's my opinion.

It wasn't stupid at all. Philly isn't NYC. And that subforum is a zoo to begin with. When we were combined, it felt like it was their subforum and we were just guests.

I voted 'no' just because it felt like the Philly stuff got buried in the all-inclusive region forum that used to exist.  Obviously I'm not privy to some of the issues that have just come up in the last day or two, but it was nice to have a forum to ourselves.  I realize our climate tends to mirror either D.C. or NYC so in that sense a merger is logical, but it does go back and forth.  I thought it made sense we had our own discussions.  Our snow totals are wildly inconsistent (although that too is the same for those cities).  Either way I suppose it doesn't much matter - after all I probably don't post enough to have much of an opinion here.

Edit: I should add, I used to post in the Accu-Weather forums beginning in '07.  Please don't make me go back there.

Yeah definitely, the NYC and SNE community has great discussions and our great posters here will be welcomed by them with open arms. Geographically there is not a major difference as well.

As an aside, I think Delaware should be merged with the Mid Atlantic forum and such, perhaps areas of Pennsylvania. Philly subforum encompasses a rather small but diverse region.

I don't really remember exactly the drama that was occurring at the time either, but from a weather and posters numbers standpoint, I think it makes more sense to have the two regions together...

I remember the drama - it was difficult to get a word in edgewise with the extreme volume of posting with such a combined megalopolis.

What forum is tombo and Adam running? I'm gonna join them, I'm not gonna sit and sort through the wishcasting NYC babies

Bye..I agree nuc isn't the best forum but at least it's mostly civil. It can be very weenieish but what subforum isn't? If you don't like us, stay away...if u don't like us u r more than welcome to post there

Well obviously the vote didn't go the way I'd hoped. However, the exodus is still new. I'll give it a few months for the effects to sink in and then try a new poll.

Obviously the majority of the posters want to stay as the PHL subforum, so why the huge push for it? You said there isn't any mets left here, but just about no mets post in NYC either. You're pretty much the only met left that posts there also. Granted I'm going to be posting at both forums, but just figured I'd state how I feel. It's not all about quantity.

Obviously the majority of the posters want to stay as the PHL subforum, so why the huge push for it? You said there isn't any mets left here, but just about no mets post in NYC either. You're pretty much the only met left that posts there also. Granted I'm going to be posting at both forums, but just figured I'd state how I feel. It's not all about quantity.

I should've made the votes public, I'm curious who voted which way. 

NYC does have one or two met mods.  And a thriving community of core non-met posters.  Posters who haven't been siphoned off by a new board.

Obviously if this sub-forum does manage to get active again then I won't bother pushing for us to reunite.  But I was never a fan of the split in the first place and with the sudden loss of many posters here, I don't see much reason for it to continue.

I'd just as soon have there be one Philly-centric thread in a merged "NYC/Philly metro" forum.

I see where some felt like we were guests when we were joined with the NYC sub-forum. I know how most of you felt and that's why I pushed so hard for the split. It did work out for a while. It can work out again. Maybe if we can have an active winter, we can have an influx of new posters that can contribute.

I should've made the votes public, I'm curious who voted which way.

NYC does have one or two met mods. And a thriving community of core non-met posters. Posters who haven't been siphoned off by a new board.

Obviously if this sub-forum does manage to get active again then I won't bother pushing for us to reunite. But I was never a fan of the split in the first place and with the sudden loss of many posters here, I don't see much reason for it to continue.

I'd just as soon have there be one Philly-centric thread in a merged "NYC/Philly metro" forum.

So the answer is to go from our own subforum, to one single thread, in a forum that we'd be outsiders in? lol And honestly, they weren't "siphoned" off, no gun was held to anyone's head. Those who left, obviously weren't happy here, only way to explain it. It just seems like you're pushing awfully hard to merge because you weren't happy with it from the start.

So the answer is to go from our own subforum, to one single thread, in a forum that we'd be outsiders in? lol And honestly, they weren't "siphoned" off, no gun was held to anyone's head. Those who left, obviously weren't happy here, only way to explain it. It just seems like you're pushing awfully hard to merge because you weren't happy with it from the start.

They are welcome to post wherever they want. I'm going to offer an alternative. I'm sure some posters will choose to post in multiple forums and that's fine.

Archived