• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Should Philly and NYC be merged back together?

famartin

Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?

• Yes
    • No

No, havent "left". We are still three people short at the office. I must admit, I havent been posting as much, but its more because I am taking more of my focal point duty work to do at home to meet deadlines than anything here. 

cool glad to see u guys are still around

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I see I'm well late to the party, but I hated the split of the NYC/PHL forums when it happened and I still do.  I see no way the split made sense from a weather standpoint or otherwise...you had posters from the Poconos routinely in the PHL forum.  The differences in weather (especially the forecasting aspects) are no greater than seen in the New England forum or the midatlantic forum.  Even before the "events" that led to the new board you could often hear crickets in the PHL forum.  I say combine the forums and bring some life back (I realize the poll is over and that a decision has been made).  Perhaps I'm being nostalgic but I liked the weather forums best when there were no subforums at all.  

Nobody is going to be harrassed in banter threads unless they go too OT or personally attack another poster.

I didnt think philly forum was that bad, but after thinking and reading some replies, I guess I stand corrected to a degree.  I liked Tom, and while Adam had a warm bias, I though he did well to forecasting in both short and long ranges, but didn't feel "scared" to post, as long as it wasn't OT banter during storm threats.  Still looking forward to "toggling" back n forth in Central pa and Philly forums this winter.

Nut

If you'll remember correctly, the separation happened right after the Boxing Day event. In most cases the same setup that benefits snow in the Philly area also benefits snow in the NYC area. In a few cases, the two separate regions root for two separate solutions and that can often cause arguments and bickering.  

When the split occurred, posters that live in Western and Central NJ were really left for lack of a better term "homeless" because we really don't identify with Philly or NYC. All of the talk in the NYC forum is very based on the coastal regions. In fact, us NW folks were given a separate thread to, "play in" because certain posters in that forum couldn't handle inland posters rooting for setups which produce snow inland and rain for the coast.

Putting the two forums back together would give posters like me some place to identify with and call home again.

Personally I would rather see NYC proper and Long Island get there own separate thread to "play in" that was part of the greater NYC/PHL sub-forum. Especially since the weather at the coast is often very different from just about everywhere else in the region.

If you'll remember correctly, the separation happened right after the Boxing Day event. In most cases the same setup that benefits snow in the Philly area also benefits snow in the NYC area. In a few cases, the two separate regions root for two separate solutions and that can often cause arguments and bickering.

When the split occurred, posters that live in Western and Central NJ were really left for lack of a better term "homeless" because we really don't identify with Philly or NYC. All of the talk in the NYC forum is very based on the coastal regions. In fact, us NW folks were given a separate thread to, "play in" because certain posters in that forum couldn't handle inland posters rooting for setups which produce snow inland and rain for the coast.

Putting the two forums back together would give posters like me some place to identify with and call home again.

Personally I would rather see NYC proper and Long Island get there own separate thread to "play in" that was part of the greater NYC/PHL sub-forum. Especially since the weather at the coast is often very different from just about everywhere else in the region.

Really?? It certainly seems to me at least half the posters are from Jersey

Merging them back together makes no sense. There may be fewer posts in the Philly subforum now, but at least most people are quality posters. In the NYC subforum, that's not necessarily the case, especially during snowstorms or severe threats. I don't know about other people, but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Merging them back together makes no sense. There may be fewer posts in the Philly subforum now, but at least most people are quality posters. In the NYC subforum, that's not necessarily the case, especially during snowstorms or severe threats. I don't know about other people, but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

The mods became more proactive last winter about suspending/5-posting the troublemakers, and there's also Ignore. I've used that on some posters who were just troll factories. There's also some great discussion in many of the threads, and I like how it's not very cliquey like some of the other regional forums. I laugh when I read about the "sub-forum wars" that happen sometimes between the various forums and the groups of posters in each. It's all so childish and dumb.

If you'll remember correctly, the separation happened right after the Boxing Day event. In most cases the same setup that benefits snow in the Philly area also benefits snow in the NYC area. In a few cases, the two separate regions root for two separate solutions and that can often cause arguments and bickering.  

When the split occurred, posters that live in Western and Central NJ were really left for lack of a better term "homeless" because we really don't identify with Philly or NYC. All of the talk in the NYC forum is very based on the coastal regions. In fact, us NW folks were given a separate thread to, "play in" because certain posters in that forum couldn't handle inland posters rooting for setups which produce snow inland and rain for the coast.

Putting the two forums back together would give posters like me some place to identify with and call home again.

Before the sub-forums were created, I lived in central PA and it would often be nearly impossible to find discussions about that region because of how heavily I-95 centered this forum is. More people live on the coast than inland and in the major cities than along 287, and focus more on conditions there. That's just how it is. People in a sub-forum should stop caring so much who roots for what solution for their backyard. That comes with growing up, not creating an endless series of sub-forums to accommodate everyone's want.

Before the sub-forums were created, I lived in central PA and it would often be nearly impossible to find discussions about that region because of how heavily I-95 centered this forum is. More people live on the coast than inland and in the major cities than along 287, and focus more on conditions there. That's just how it is. People in a sub-forum should stop caring so much who roots for what solution for their backyard. That comes with growing up, not creating an endless series of sub-forums to accommodate everyone's want.

I think you are expecting too much from people on the internet.

This is just a personality argument that has nothing to do with the geographical distinctions that supposedly justified the split.  Your weather in Allentown is no closer to the whether in ILG or PHl than NYC is to PHL, perhaps even less so.  And while I'm not looking to pick a fight, I'm not sure what you mean by "quality posters" but even if your perception is correct those same posters would (presumably) be active in any merged forum.  The bottom line is that there is not enough activity in this forum to justify a separate existence IMHO....and the danger of waiting a month to reconsider is at that by that time any merger may be in name only as this forum will already have lost most of its posters, including the "quality" ones.  Just my opinion.  

This is just a personality argument that has nothing to do with the geographical distinctions that supposedly justified the split.  Your weather in Allentown is no closer to the whether in ILG or PHl than NYC is to PHL, perhaps even less so.  And while I'm not looking to pick a fight, I'm not sure what you mean by "quality posters" but even if your perception is correct those same posters would (presumably) be active in any merged forum.  The bottom line is that there is not enough activity in this forum to justify a separate existence IMHO....and the danger of waiting a month to reconsider is at that by that time any merger may be in name only as this forum will already have lost most of its posters, including the "quality" ones.  Just my opinion.  

This morning's "event" gave me enough confidence that this forum may not have much traffic between storms, but when we do get a possible storm, most will return. At it's peak, this forum had fewer posts than the other forums so low traffic has been a constant.

I agree with your recollection, which makes the split even less sensible.  Quite frankly most of the talk on these boards focuses on mid and even long-range possibilities for snow...and at that range no one from PHL to NYC can claim victory over any set up or threat.  Virtually any threat for anyone in the corridor poses a threat for everyone.  Now, true, as we move closer to gametime precise location matters...but are we going to have a subforum for every COUNTY?  That's what local obs threads are for.

This morning's "event" gave me enough confidence that this forum may not have much traffic between storms, but when we do get a possible storm, most will return. At it's peak, this forum had fewer posts than the other forums so low traffic has been a constant.

Perhaps, but why fight gravity?   I actually suspect that many/most who voted against the merger did so on the basis that LV did...and that's really not a good reason IMO.  I think the low traffic on this board is explained by the fact that there is just more activity on the NYC board (though that's not always so great either), and folks like me in the great wasteland of NJ just naturally start hanging around there more.  I just don't see that changing (particularly given recent developments) and do think there is a real risk that we lose some "quality" posters permanently if they start sensing their posting for crickets.

Perhaps, but why fight gravity?   I actually suspect that many/most who voted against the merger did so on the basis that LV did...and that's really not a good reason IMO.  I think the low traffic on this board is explained by the fact that there is just more activity on the NYC board (though that's not always so great either), and folks like me in the great wasteland of NJ just naturally start hanging around there more.  I just don't see that changing (particularly given recent developments) and do think there is a real risk that we lose some "quality" posters permanently if they start sensing their posting for crickets.

I think it's less about competition and more about they felt like guests in the NYC forum. When AMEX formed I wanted to keep NYC and Philly seperate because I knew what happened would happen.

I think it's less about competition and more about they felt like guests in the NYC forum. When AMEX formed I wanted to keep NYC and Philly seperate because I knew what happened would happen.

It only happens because some people are babies and you can't fix that.  When you have great posters things generally take care of themselves.  Look at the New England forum, from Maine to CT, and it's the best forum by a country mile, no offense to the others, but it's true. Wright wx and Eastern Wx, which  basically had one forum for all, were great for the most part and would likely have remained so if the owners/mods left the posters alone.  Again, just my opinion and I respect yours.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, had no idea there was an exodus or even any issues.  For what it's worth, I liked when everyone was all in one forum back on Eastern - never liked subforums - so I also didn't like the NYC-Philly split, especially as I'm in Central Jersey and now have to go to both forums to get a better sense of what might happen IMBY.  Put them back together and have specific threads for specific locations. 

Wow, had no idea there was an exodus or even any issues.  For what it's worth, I liked when everyone was all in one forum back on Eastern - never liked subforums - so I also didn't like the NYC-Philly split, especially as I'm in Central Jersey and now have to go to both forums to get a better sense of what might happen IMBY.  Put them back together and have specific threads for specific locations.

Wouldn't sub threads in a fourm for different locations be the same as having two sub forums? The only difference being 1-2 additonal clicks?

Archived