• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Should Philly and NYC be merged back together?

famartin

Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?

• Yes
    • No

I see where some felt like we were guests when we were joined with the NYC sub-forum. I know how most of you felt and that's why I pushed so hard for the split. It did work out for a while. It can work out again. Maybe if we can have an active winter, we can have an influx of new posters that can contribute.

Why is it that Baltimore and DC can easily be joined together like its nothing, but joining Philly and NYC is a big no-no?  They are two cities, fairly close together, but the rivalry is kinda silly.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the answer is to go from our own subforum, to one single thread, in a forum that we'd be outsiders in? lol And honestly, they weren't "siphoned" off, no gun was held to anyone's head. Those who left, obviously weren't happy here, only way to explain it. It just seems like you're pushing awfully hard to merge because you weren't happy with it from the start.

Well, with the posters that are left, the amount of posting in this sub-forum will end up amounting to the material of a thread.

Why is it that Baltimore and DC can easily be joined together like its nothing, but joining Philly and NYC is a big no-no?  They are two cities, fairly close together, but the rivalry is kinda silly.

There is no rivarly, just a different poster dynamic. We didn't mix well. I'm going to see what happens next month.

I like the fact that the Philly forum is a place where a nice mix seemed to exist.  I post mostly in the Central Pa forum and rarely go to the NYC forum as too much banter goes on in some threads  There also seems to be much more of a sense of "stay out of our house" from what I've observed.  I'd like to be wrong.  I will miss Tom and Adam though.  Not sure where they went but they were to good ones IMO.

Nut

I like the fact that the Philly forum is a place where a nice mix seemed to exist.  I post mostly in the Central Pa forum and rarely go to the NYC forum as too much banter goes on in some threads  There also seems to be much more of a sense of "stay out of our house" from what I've observed.  I'd like to be wrong.  I will miss Tom and Adam though.  Not sure where they went but they were to good ones IMO.

Nut

I think we developed a similar mentality and I want to change that.

From my view, there seem to be far more posters in the other forum that have basically told some posters to stay out...I cant say I remember that being done other than in fun in the philly forum.  Maybe I'm wrong?  As you said, give it some time and maybe the next wave steps up to fill the gap.  Heck if Ray can do it from where he does, I'm sure some red taggers will emerge to help with storm/pattern analysis.   

Would love to know what happened though.  Missing tombos PBP's is going to be a bummer.  Irishbri can step in as he does well with that.

Nut

From my view, there seem to be far more posters in the other forum that have basically told some posters to stay out...I cant say I remember that being done other than in fun in the philly forum.  Maybe I'm wrong?  As you said, give it some time and maybe the next wave steps up to fill the gap.  Heck if Ray can do it from where he does, I'm sure some red taggers will emerge to help with storm/pattern analysis.   

Would love to know what happened though.  Missing tombos PBP's is going to be a bummer.  Irishbri can step in as he does well with that.

Nut

I'm going to do what I can to bring in more red taggers. They won't be able to take the place of the others but they would be able to bring their knowledge here.

I like the fact that the Philly forum is a place where a nice mix seemed to exist. I post mostly in the Central Pa forum and rarely go to the NYC forum as too much banter goes on in some threads There also seems to be much more of a sense of "stay out of our house" from what I've observed. I'd like to be wrong. I will miss Tom and Adam though. Not sure where they went but they were to good ones IMO.

Nut

Not that my opinion matters but I wouldn't mind the Philly posters in the NYC forum as long as they weren't bashing on us like I've seen in here. Yes we have a bunch of weenies there (name a subforum that doesn't) but we also have very intelligent and informative posters too.

Nut

Well said, it's pretty much my sentiment too,I certainly do like keeping the forums separate, I think we'd get lost and smothered out in the NYC forum.  Just my 2¢. 

Nut

Pretty much in the dark about what happened too. Would appreciate some kind of explanation. 

Pretty much in the dark about what happened too. Would appreciate some kind of explanation

In a nutshell, tom and adam had some difference of opinions with some admins. They elected to start their own board, and some people (mets and am's) alike decided to join them.

Did we lose HM too? His info on global patterns was very instructive as well as his no-hype style of long-range forecasting.

Most likely, and this is why we would need the likes of Roger Smith and donaldsutherland1 to be encourage to post here. HM and ampsu19 and their insight are the greatest loss to the Philly forum, we'll survive. If not, just ask yourselves how many times you lurked in the NYC forum or even the mid-atlantic forum prior to an event. This is what I miss from easternuswx, when the board was just one forum.

To me lurking is reading and learning, I remember years ago someone posted on Amerwx (don't remember the name) that you should take a good year or two of reading understanding and listening before chiming in and I concurred with the post because I am no MET, sometimes the best gets to me and I chime in because of local demographics that could affect the weather and I like to contribute OBS along the Jersey Shore - I am biased to a non-merge because of my location and what the Philly forum brought to the table (MT Holly/PA/Other METS, Hurricane Schwartz adding dialogue other knowledgeable people),for me,  I liken it to the NYC vs Philly news. The NYC channels just don't give us much time around here in S/C NJ, Philly always adds something concerning my area - but if there is a merge I will continue to "study" all boards...

Archived