joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Banter

buckeyefan1

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its going to be a better winter than the last two. There are some bad signs but we have had a lot of cad events since spring and the water temps are better off Newfoundland. Also, we don't have that cool pool

water in the Gulf of Alaska ready to feed a monster vortex like we did last year giving us that huge negative pna that I hated so much.

I think its going to be a better winter than the last two. There are some bad signs but we have had a lot of cad events since spring and the water temps are better off Newfoundland. Also, we don't have that cool pool

water in the Gulf of Alaska ready to feed a monster vortex like we did last year giving us that huge negative pna that I hated so much.

Agree..... I see a better Pacific than we have had in recent years. I think that is mainly the result of the active tropical season in the west Pac and the re-curving systems out there. This could be temporary or it could set up the winter pattern. The next few weeks will tell us more about the dominant pattern. That being said, one has to question if the Pacific will save the winter.

As a rule of thumb, a positive nao winter see on average 25% less snowfall for the east coast than a neutral index and a negative nao sees 25% more snowfall than average. However, last winter did not fit the bill. Let's hope this season can buck the trend in a positive fashion.

Here we go again...

Always holding out hope for the end of the run. Look at the bright side, you save on your heating bill. :(

Based on many posts here, a strong majority don't care about cold unless it is accompanied by significant wintry precip. (Not how I feel, though) So, I don't think whether or not there is cold in November is important to this majority of posters here.

Based on many posts here, a strong majority don't care about cold unless it is accompanied by significant wintry precip. (Not how I feel, though) So, I don't think whether or not there is cold in November is important to this majority of posters here.

Yea. But you need cold with winter precip :) just pointing out what a sad winter this might be. 

Yea. But you need cold with winter precip :) just pointing out what a sad winter this might be.

I agree that it may end up being a sad one just as any winter can easily be since many have been sad. Early indicators like the October Eurasian snow advance index are not at all encouraging. However, the good news is that this is only November. Often, patterns do change a lot between November and winter. Also, usually only one major winter storm can make for a great SE winter like in 2001-2. We don't need anything close to wall to wall cold for that, which means one can enjoy savings on heating bills as well as the comfort of mild weather during the many mild winter interludes common in the SE.

I agree that it may end up being a sad one just as any winter can easily be since many have been sad. Early indicators like the October Eurasian snow advance index are not at all encouraging. However, the good news is that this is only November. Often, patterns do change a lot between November and winter. Also, usually only one major winter storm can make for a great SE winter like in 2001-2. We don't need anything close to wall to wall cold for that, which means one can enjoy savings on heating bills as well as the comfort of mild weather during the many mild winter interludes common in the SE.

Yeah, but Larry, we do need rain, otherwise we get faux snow, and virga sleet.  There are always a few cold days and nights every witner..but...  Where is the rain!!!  Where are the moles???  I can only think this latest drought comes because I may have said something about a nice moleskin coat when I wasn't getting the sleet I wanted. And for this I am sorry, but we used to get rain all the time when I was a wee tike, and now it seems a thing of the past in winter.  Oh, sure, lots of you got big rain this summer...so what?  Did it sleet in June, or July.  No!!  It could have since it sleeted a bit in north Ga yesterday with ground temps in the 70's according to the tv folks...but winter is when we need the rain!!  Do something, Dr. Abacus!!  T

One thing that gives me hope is that Atlanta has had three consecutive winters of a trace or less of snow only once. So the odds are definitely in Atlantas favor of getting more than a trace of snow. Right ?

Records are made to be broken. I'll take wagers Atlanta will have four consecutive winters with a trace or less of snow.  Currently covering  odds of 1 in 6.  Step right up.

That's true, just like hurricanes, it only takes one to make the season memorable.  I remember the snowstorm from January 2002. We saw about 4-6 inches from that storm. Overall I think I remember that winter being mainly mild/warm.

Speaking of that January 2002 snowstorm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SP-foDxT6Y

Also as far as cold is concerned, the only time I like really cold weather is when it's breaking records. Just like back in January 2003, Atlanta got down into the single digits (don't remember the exact date) I know it was on a Friday because we were under a Wind Chill Advisory (First time I had ever heard or seen that issued here) and school was closed for sub-zero wind chills and fear of frostbite. it dipped down to around 8 degrees. It hasn't been that cold for a nighttime low since. I would argue were due for it come back again soon, but I have no idea what the average span of time would be for weather that frigid.

EDIT: I looked it up, this happened on Friday, January 24, 2003. 2002-2003 was also a mild winter like 2001-2002 was from what I remember.

Records are made to be broken. I'll take wagers Atlanta will have four consecutive winters with a trace or less of snow.  Currently covering  odds of 1 in 6.  Step right up.

I say Ga. north of La Grange sees at least their average this year.  And, double of nothing says MetalBoy sees flurries, at least.    Now, I don't have any money, or own anything, so we may have a problem with the ante, lol.  T

I say Ga. north of La Grange sees at least their average this year. And, double of nothing says MetalBoy sees flurries, at least. Now, I don't have any money, or own anything, so we may have a problem with the ante, lol. T

Living in GA, my expectations are always very low, as they should be. If we can somehow manage enough snow to cover the ground for just 10 minutes, then I will consider this the best winter in years.

Yep the panthers are really coming around it seems. 4 wins in a row with a record of 5-3 and the saints lost today again. Glad for Carolina they are getting there stuff together.

I'm glad they are winning a few games, but I'm not ready to jump on a bandwagon.  The teams they’ve beaten entered today with a 8-29 record. The next two weeks bring the 49ers and Patriots. Then we will know

Archived