12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November 2013 pattern and discussion

WxJordan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since the blizzard I've felt I was destined to see another.  Do something great....save a grizzly from the drifts,  herd lost seals to safety.  Watch GT beat N. C. again for the ACC title on a 5 inch b/w running on a car battery.  But lordy it's proven difficult to repeat, lol.  Just getting one on the maps is a huge feat.  But it will feed my dreams, lol.  Could you show us a picture?  Tony

No torch in the LR, still.  Looks like the potential is there to keep an active southern stream, with a north to south temp gradient pattern across the country.  The AO looks to rise and fall again but remain in the positive phase.  The NAO looks to remain around neutral and the PNA is forecast to go somewhat negative in the extended.  It looks like the mean trough is trying to set up more in the central part of the country.  If that is the case, then we'd be on the mild side of most storms.  Either way, the exact LR depiction is difficult to determine and shifts daily, as do the index forecasts.

I'd like to see a substantial and consistent move toward blocking, but that hasn't happened yet.  Hopefully, that will show up soon.

Should we be concerned that after thanksgiving the rest of the run struggles to go below zero at 850 here?

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. The models have fluctuated several times so far this season between several runs of brutally cold in the LR and several runs of normal -- warm-ups and cool-downs.

If we start seeing troughing in the west consistently and a SE ridge, then I'd be more concerned. Also, now that we're moving into winter and not really seeing any reliable hints at any blocking developing, that is a concern if it continues.

The model keeps getting warmer and warmer. Looks like we head into December with a +AO -PNA and neutral to weakly positive NAO. It's possible though things could flip back the other way.

Models can't get nothing right wouldn't be surprised if the warmer and warmer just ended up being averager and averager. I'm freezing right now.

Torch city on the 12z gfs

Negative Ghost Rider. :)

Not a cold pattern, but certainly not a torchy one. SE ridge flexes a little bit and we get a -PNA, but Canada is still very, very cold. We get a couple of mild days in front of a couple of Lakes cutters, but cool air comes in behind and you get HP scooting across the northern tier, providing some lower level cold. It's certainly not the best H5 pattern, but certainly not a blowtorch. Winter weather threats are few and far between, though.

Ensembles continue a general -EPO and +AO/NAO setup in the LR.  Still below avg heights over the central/eastern US so the Pacific is really doing the dirty work here.  We've been threats of blocking encroach into the arctic/Greenland regions on the models but so far none have held on to really force a pattern change there.

YA0zULI.gif

YjOOitF.gif

The model keeps getting warmer and warmer. Looks like we head into December with a +AO -PNA and neutral to weakly positive NAO. It's possible though things could flip back the other way.

Favorable pattern for a severe setup if we get a trough ejecting out of the Rockies.

Bad...unless you like Lakes cutters, -PNAs, +NAOs, and a mild SE ridge:

Like it or not, we've gone from a close to perfect ridge axis running up the W. Canada coast to one substantially off the west coast.  That's the current trend for the mid-longer range.  Can it change or evolve to more of a full U.S. trough, yes....but that's where we are right now.

Like it or not, we've gone from a close to perfect ridge axis running up the W. Canada coast to one substantially off the west coast. That's the current trend for the mid-longer range. Can it change or evolve to more of a full U.S. trough, yes....but that's where we are right now.

Hopefully, it will not become a permanent or semipermanent pattern. If we endure a two or three week period of normal or slightly above, followed by a two or three week colder pattern this winter, I'd take that, especially after the last two. Hopefully, the period around Christmas will be cold.

The euro ensembles have a nice cold shot after day 10. The cold air tha pools over southern canada eventually slides into the east coast. Looks like a nice setup for some storms the first week of December followed by a cold period. I like the persistent arctic high's we've been seeing so far this fall. I think there is a very high chance of an ice situation this winter with these setups being so persistent. That is ignoring the situation tomorrow morning.

Indices not looking good for the extended:

PNA - Looks to stay just below negative

AO - Looks to go positive

NAO - Looks to go positive

*and these values are going this way now. After a cold Thanksgiving and we may be in an extended warm spell. I think the 6z GFS showed the best depiction of todays indices.

I'm really hoping the cold November - warm winter thing is not real. I know it's much deeper than that, but I do have a lot of memories of that scenario.

Archived