Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Low topped squall line Friday/strong winds

weatherwiz

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see more accurate wording in that one.

It sounds silly but poorly worded warnings like the ones from ALY and BOX this morning are such a pain for the media. In a newsroom during severe/active weather the meteorologist on duty doesn't have to time to do everything (website, social media, check scripts, etc) so you have a situation where web or newscast producers will read the warning and put out a headline like "Damaging Hail Heading Toward Hartford". That kind of stuff makes everyone look bad. 

Not to mention the fact you have some stations who don't hire actual meteorologists (even though they call themselves one) who will rip and read that statement and go on and start talking about "deadly lightning" and "large hail" even though the storm doesn't have anything like that. 

It sounds silly but poorly worded warnings like the ones from ALY and BOX this morning are such a pain for the media. In a newsroom during severe/active weather the meteorologist on duty doesn't have to time to do everything (website, social media, check scripts, etc) so you have a situation where web or newscast producers will read the warning and put out a headline like "Damaging Hail Heading Toward Hartford". That kind of stuff makes everyone look bad.

Not to mention the fact you have some stations who don't hire actual meteorologists (even though they call themselves one) who will rip and read that statement and go on and start talking about "deadly lightning" and "large hail" even though the storm doesn't have anything like that.

I can see why the media would get frustrated with the wording. I didn't think about the non-mets but good point as well. For most of us non media type we know the hail and lightning are crap, but I can see people telling the audience to take cover from large hail when they don't have a clue what they are looking at lol.

I can see why the media would get frustrated with the wording. I didn't think about the non-mets but good point as well. For most of us non media type we know the hail and lightning are crap, but I can see people telling the audience to take cover from large hail when they don't have a clue what they are looking at lol.

Absolutely, I wouldn't expect the lead anchor to know to skip that part of the statement.

Radar here at GYX is showing winds increasing behind the line of showers relative the LLJ ahead of it. Bodes well for stronger gusts post-frontal when we pop into the clearing.

Pretty meh so far wind wise other then the +RNSWRS that came thru, I do expect some gusty winds post frontal though

looks like peak was maybe 57 knots at MQE? that's rippin pretty good. i wish i lived up there. 

I can walk there in about an hour, but I always let my wife talk me out of going up there for a storm.  Some day I'll get smart and not tell her I'm thinking of going.  Some of the other hills, especially Buck Hill right off route 28, can rip quite nicely as well.  The tree damage with Irene was quite impressive.

Sorry for the lateness, was in a meeting. I would estimate that wind gusts were close to 40 mph. No rain gauge to measure precip, but the water ditch along Industrial Way was near bank top, LOL.

Thanks, figured that was about what was going to happen. Definitely looked better back in York County.

Archived