amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro ensemble mean is really bullish on that big Arctic high sliding down over the area next week

with strong low level CAA followed by good radiational cooling.

Isn't eastern Canada well snow covered? That must be aiding in the ability for this airmass to maintain its strength. Haven't seen shots of cold come straight down from Canada aimed right at us in a long time. Usually they've been swinging in from the northwest or even worse, the west. Reminds me of 2004.

Isn't eastern Canada well snow covered? That must be aiding in the ability for this airmass to maintain its strength. Haven't seen shots of cold come straight down from Canada aimed right at us in a long time. Usually they've been swinging in from the northwest or even worse, the west. Reminds me of 2004.

The main reason that we are seeing these strong Arctic highs build down over the area has been the strong -EPO pattern.

Arctic highs build under strong upper ridging near Alaska and slide down over the Lakes and Northeast. 

January 2004 was a great example of this when we got down to 1 degree with the high positioned perfectly

for northerly winds that didn't have to pass over the Great Lakes first. Monday was good enough for JFK

to tie the record of 34 and Newark to make down to freezing.

New NAO outlook shows a possibility of a negative NAO after mid month

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

New PNA outlook shows a rising PNA possibly reaching positive territory after mid month

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/pna.sprd2.gif

New AO Outlook shows the possibility of a negative AO after mid month

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

** very positive signal here if you like colder weather and to break this dry pattern we have been in the last couple of months **

Are you referring to the small event around day 7 or the bigger event potential around day ten?

P6_GZ_D5_PN_240_0000.gif

That map spells rain for most us. But I would be hesitant to jump quickly onto any solutions that depict an extremely moisture-laden storm moving out of the GOM at this time. The flow across the south has been a fast west to east flow. In addition, there has been little energy in the subtropical jet. In order to get a major event we will need a sharp trough in the polar jet in the east. I see hints, but no hard evidence of that happening anytime soon. That said, there is some really cold, possibly record cold air getting ready to be drawn se-ward in the wake of a cold front early next week. I would not be surprised to seem some record low temperatures here with that airmass.

WX/PT

That map spells rain for most us. But I would be hesitant to jump quickly onto any solutions that depict an extremely moisture-laden storm moving out of the GOM at this time. The flow across the south has been a fast west to east flow. In addition, there has been little energy in the subtropical jet. In order to get a major event we will need a sharp trough in the polar jet in the east. I see hints, but no hard evidence of that happening anytime soon. That said, there is some really cold, possibly record cold air getting ready to be drawn se-ward in the wake of a cold front early next week. I would not be surprised to seem some record low temperatures here with that airmass.

WX/PT

The evolution of the storm on the GGEM verbatim originates from the Rockies and then cuts to Lake Erie before a secondary pops inland over North Carolina which then comes due north. It may not be snow at the coast but it's a big snow event for inland sections. Of course this is all just fantasy land, but it's fun to have something to look at for once.

New NAO outlook shows a possibility of a negative NAO after mid month

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

New PNA outlook shows a rising PNA possibly reaching positive territory after mid month

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/pna.sprd2.gif

New AO Outlook shows the possibility of a negative AO after mid month

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

** very positive signal here if you like colder weather and to break this dry pattern we have been in the last couple of months **

The PV retrograding to the Pacific Side, causing the AO and NAO to drop and even PNA to rise. But it's not a cold pattern at all. Last year we had -AO and -NAO, and December averaged mild:

z500anom_f360_nhbg.gif

The evolution of the storm on the GGEM verbatim originates from the Rockies and then cuts to Lake Erie before a secondary pops inland over North Carolina which then comes due north. It may not be snow at the coast but it's a big snow event for inland sections. Of course this is all just fantasy land, but it's fun to have something to look at for once.

The GFS generated it out of the Gulf. To me, it doesn't make sense. We're going to get cold, then warm up and rain, maybe some inland spots start out with a little frozen if even that.

WX/PT

GFS is a pretty weenie-tastic run, even if its in la-la land. Pops a -NAO and we go into the freezer  :snowman: .

The cold shot next week seems formidable, however, and that is only 5-6 days away. Given the cold conditions and snow cover over much of canada that cold shot does not have much time to moderate. It's very doubtful we see any meaningful snow next week (if any at all?) but the fact that we can even be tracking something is cool. 

The models all agree on the big Arctic high building down, but can't get a handle yet on exactly 

how the shortwave energy cuts underneath. Par for the course with a potential record breaking

Pacific blocking pattern in place. Extreme 500 mb anomalies often time have some interesting

downstream effects. The GFS is going +550 meters for that huge amplification out near the

Aleutians. That's why the model solutions are swinging back and forth between runs for storm details

which such a major jet buckling upstream of North America.

GFS is a pretty weenie-tastic run, even if its in la-la land. Pops a -NAO and we go into the freezer  :snowman: .

The cold shot next week seems formidable, however, and that is only 5-6 days away. Given the cold conditions and snow cover over much of canada that cold shot does not have much time to moderate. It's very doubtful we see any meaningful snow next week (if any at all?) but the fact that we can even be tracking something is cool. 

Except that every week for the past month its given us a solid 1" rainstorm and every time it gets within 1-2 days of the event its down to .1-.2" if we're lucky. I really trust nothing precip wise on the models until within a couple days of the event in this dry pattern

Archived