• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

It will be interesting to see if the mid to late part of the month stays dry enough for NYC to finish with a top 10 driest fall.

The dates on the list were a very long time ago.

Driest falls in NYC

3.50...2013...so far

A cooler world supporting a less juicy atmosphere leading to the possibility of drier seasons. No wonder they are from another era.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

winter precipitation after the driest Falls

Central Park Stats for corresponding winters:

3 AN Snowfall Winters (1901-1902/1914-1915/1948-1949)

4 BN Snowfall Winters (1908-1909/1931-1932/1941-1942/1965-1966)

1 Near Normal Snowfall Winter (1909-1910)

Average for all 8 winters: 23.86" of Snowfall (Below Average). 

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/climate/records/monthseasonsnowfall.html

The raw model temperature data gets NYC down close to freezing Monday morning.

It would be the second year in a row with a freeze by November 7th if we can pull it off.

Here are the freezes by November 7th in NYC back to 1960 from Uncle's list:

11-06-12

10-31-88

10-27-76

10-31-75

10-20-72

10-23-69

11-04-66

10-29-65

11-07-62

11-07-60

Despite the mild weather overall, some very nice chill is coming tomorrow and Monday, I don't think anyone is getting out of the 40s on Monday.

The dry weather could also help with the overnight lows as they could be a bit colder than forecast. Don mentioned that we could get stronger although brief shots of cold weather even if the winter is above normal overall because the arctic is colder than in recent years.

Guess the warm weather and lack of rain didn't hurt

The foliage got off to a great start because of ideal conditions in September, it then slowed down the first half of October because of the warmth but made a major comeback with more ideal conditions the second half of October.

The dry weather actually aided the foliage this season instead of harming it probably because the very dry conditions began in September rather than July and August.

The foliage got off to a great start because of ideal conditions in September, it then slowed down the first half of October because of the warmth but made a major comeback with more ideal conditions the second half of October.

The dry weather actually aided the foliage this season instead of harming it probably because the very dry conditions began in September rather than July and August.

Not here its been dry since July. The colors here I think are the best ever. Even trees like Norway Maple that usualy arent great are on fire right now!

Not here its been dry since July. The colors here I think are the best ever. Even trees like Norway Maple that usualy arent great are on fire right now!

We were lucky here in Jersey in the summer. It was a bad t-storm season, but we had plenty of showers and downpours all summer. It was the first time in years that the lawns stayed green all summer. Then of course it went super dry in September and October.

The raw model temperature data gets NYC down close to freezing Monday morning.

It would be the second year in a row with a freeze by November 7th if we can pull it off.

Here are the freezes by November 7th in NYC back to 1960 from Uncle's list:

11-06-12

10-31-88

10-27-76

10-31-75

10-20-72

10-23-69

11-04-66

10-29-65

11-07-62

11-07-60

I'll check my list...1974 had three straight in October starting 10/19...I was thirteen in 1962 and remember seeing ice that morning on puddles while walking to school on 11/07...November 1962 was cold and had a winter storm with snow to rain...

I'll check my list...1974 had three straight in October starting 10/19...I was thirteen in 1962 and remember seeing ice that morning on puddles while walking to school on 11/07...November 1962 was cold and had a winter storm with snow to rain...

I forgot to include that one from the October thread that you posted. I can still remember all the cold leading

up to and including the little ice age in 76-77 when I just turned 10.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/03/886359/jan-19-1977-the-day-it-snowed.html

Perfect northerly winds  to get cold air down the Hudson Valley. This kind of flow and high position 

has been missing during recent winters when low temperatures have been underperforming. We

haven't seen winter patterns like this since 2004 when we got to 1 degree on a northerly flow in NYC.

Maybe we can finally break the 5 degree barrier this winter if these highs build down right over the Lakes

instead of to far to our SW over the Plains. This type of -EPO pattern is great at building Arctic highs

down from the Arctic toward our area. Just like at the huge -EPO block of recent days and the month.

GFS and ECM continue the dry pattern with less than  0.50 of precip over the next 8 days.  As others have said the dryness will aid the cold at night and warmth during the day.    Roller coaster pattern continues into the foreseeable future as cold shots quickly moderate to a 2 day warmup then we cool again.  Likely overall above normal but some stronger cool mixed in between 11/3 and 11/13. 

GFS and ECM continue the dry pattern with less than  0.50 of precip over the next 8 days.  As others have said the dryness will aid the cold at night and warmth during the day.    Roller coaster pattern continues into the foreseeable future as cold shots quickly moderate to a 2 dahe y warmup then we cool again.  Likely overall above normal but some stronger cool mixed in between 11/3 and 11/13. 

One would think the low precip pattern will reverse at some point in the next several months given the very +SSTA off the Atlantic coast. Once the mean jet position moves into our region for DJF we'll see more baroclinic / thermal gradient induced waves of storminess.

One would think the low precip pattern will reverse at some point in the next several months given the very +SSTA off the Atlantic coast. Once the mean jet position moves into our region for DJF we'll see more baroclinic / thermal gradient induced waves of storminess.

Agreed - its just a matter of time, let hope its before the spring.

I'd be thrilled if we could actually get close to that .75 shown over text 10 days.

we'll see how well we do with the front coming this Friday which is the next shot at meaningful precip.   Ahead of there wed-fri look very warm with departures running +10 or better.

Archived