Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty large storm at the end of the GGEM and ECMWF. If such a large storm system were to come to fruition, could it have implications for a change in the pattern? 

The trough depicted on the Euro is really negative tilted. I would think that if we had a major lakes cutter, that would most likely change the pattern.

18z has a little snow for the area with the front.

NAM has a little snow on the back end of the front, might see some flurries fly.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ETANE9_18z/etaloop.html#picture

18z GFS very dry over next 16 days. KISP GFS plots show only 0.17" for the entire forecast period.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/archive.shtml?text=KISP&run=2013110918

The first flakes are always exciting to see.

The first flakes were on these boards about a week ago. Anyway, do not hold your breath. You may see some especially north and west of the city, but in the city itself and on Long Island with the still relatively warm BL temperatures, it's questionable. You would probably have to look really hard and see them in between a few raindrops.

WX/PT

Obviously things can change but the next two weeks are bone dry. Definitely a good shot at our driest fall on record. Also looks like true indian summer next weekend into the following week.

I really don't think upper 50's in mid nov qualifies as Indian summer lol. Glancing at the 12z euro I are upper 50's as the maybe a day or two close to 60

Any ideas when this dry pattern may break?

I am beginning to get worried that drier than normal is the new normal.

The dry pattern started after the late summer into fall 2011 deluge. It's very hard to predict the duration of multi-year dry patterns here.

It definitely looks like it wants to raise heights over Greenland into the longer range.

attachicon.gifECMWF -nao.jpg

Problem is there may not be a mechanism to lock it in. Right now I'd err on the side of it being a transient north atlantic ridge / temporary height rise, before returning to positive values. It could dip the NAO negative for a time, but I'm not confident it's long lasting.

Archived