amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2013 Observations & Discussions

Rtd208

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 500mb cutoff low had to travel with that overrunning precip, because that's when the airmass is cold. The Euro hangs back the cutoff low well southwest of the initial overrunning, so then the flow gets too fast north of it, and it'll eventually just slide out to sea while our airmass moderates. 

Edit: Or it could wait and then phase with the next trough...but then the airmass is still way too warm at that point. 

Just because it's not snow doesn't mean it doesn't still have a big storm, which it does.

Not for us on this run. But it's still too early to know how the energy is going  to come out under the big high.

Plenty of time for the models to eventually settle down and come to a common solution. 

It holds back the energy too long, there is no big storm when we need it. 200 hr fantasy storm is not what we are looking for

I hate rolling ridges in a fast flow. The flow becomes really zonal out west so there is no cold air on the west side of the ridge to keep it in "balance" when the warm air spills in from the south. This makes the ridge unstable and it eventually "breaks" like a wave in the ocean...and when the ridge "breaks", the cutoff low is forced to the south, while our cold airmass escapes to the east. If you loop through the 500mb and vorticity on the Euro you can see this pretty well. 

The GFS keeps the flow a little slower to the west, allowing the ridge to stay in better balance and not break, allowing the low to actually scoot east instead of being sent to the south. But the ridge still looks pretty unstable and may eventually break, so this is certainly not a stable pattern. 

Can't believe I am even diving in to this...but that ridge axis is way too far east on the GFS. The pattern doesn't look amplified enough for a big storm -- if the model has the correct general ideas. The Euro being east and flat isn't too far-fetched if you look at the pattern evolution. There is some room for everything to slow down. The older GFS/CMC were good examples of how that can happen. Guess we'll see.

Can't believe I am even diving in to this...but that ridge axis is way too far east on the GFS. The pattern doesn't look amplified enough for a big storm -- if the model has the correct general ideas. The Euro being east and flat isn't too far-fetched if you look at the pattern evolution. There is some room for everything to slow down. The older GFS/CMC were good examples of how that can happen. Guess we'll see.

Yea good point, its been soo long since I had something to follow so I hope things keep trending in the right direction.

Archived