• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

It is fine to talk about fantasy land, hell even if there is run to run consistency posting a map in the mid to long range is fine. However making a map for something that is shown on maybe a run or 2 isn't necessary. I mean if we posted hand drawn snow maps of all the fantasy land storms, this thread would fill up fast with things that would never come.

It will be a long winter if we post every fantasy storm with some sort of hand drawn map.

kinda agree but this is the thread for that, plus Geos' contribution here far outweighs a few fantasy maps. So people can just suck it up.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EURO showing some big time cold coming down next week:

9s4r8.gif

I like the strengthening of the baroclinic zone, with all that energy crashing ashore in the Pacific Northwest, eventually a system will cross the Rockies and hit that baroclinic zone, when that happens it would explode.

It is fine to talk about fantasy land, hell even if there is run to run consistency posting a map in the mid to long range is fine. However making a map for something that is shown on maybe a run or 2 isn't necessary. I mean if we posted hand drawn snow maps of all the fantasy land storms, this thread would fill up fast with things that would never come.

It will be a long winter if we post every fantasy storm with some sort of hand drawn map.

Good point. I know Hoosier has mentioned that. If I draw a map, it will be small (for mid range), otherwise I'll just keep it in text.

At WiscWx - yeah would never go there with the DGEX. That would be just as bad as posting a NOGAPS map! lol

FYI: The EURO did not lose the snow next week at all!

Back to the baroclinic zone discussion. EURO really showing that being significant, compared to the other models.

I don't mind the whole fantasy talk even if it's pointless. There is no harm in just mentioning it but drawing up a snow map may be a bit much. 

The 0z Euro is beyond impressive around day 8 and the cold air crashes ahead of the system associated with the high and you get an extremely impressive and tight baroclinic zone with tons of WAA and it just snows it's brains out on this run. 

The 12z GFS has a system around 162hr but it's much different and more stripe of snow of snow along the NW-SE gradient into the midwest as a wave drops out of Canada. 

I didn't put much effort into that, haha. From my point of view, it shows that at least the EURO is trying to sniff something out. If there is a model that were to get it right; even roughly, the EURO would be it. This is the mid to long range thread after all! :P

It is indeed med-long range but at some point the quality of the thread takes a big hit if snow maps based on week+ model runs are posted frequently. I get the excitement since it's early season and most of us haven't really had an accumulating snow yet but this kind of thing will get old pretty fast.

I like the strengthening of the baroclinic zone, with all that energy crashing ashore in the Pacific Northwest, eventually a system will cross the Rockies and hit that baroclinic zone, when that happens it would explode.

It seems like an oddly cold pulse of cold air (cross-polar pulse of air) seeing as how the AO will be positive.

The interesting thing about next week is that the mega ridge over the Aleutians discussed on the main forum wouldn't argue for cold in the subforum, with a corresponding downstream trough along the PNW coast and a strong jet. This general scenario contributed to the extremely warm start to last December. The 12z ECMWF has a 595 (!) DM ridge south of the Aleutians next Tuesday night, but it's again interesting that both the operational ECMWF and GFS have a very cold air mass over the region and possible snow. What it appears the operational models are hinting at is that the wavelengths will be short enough to support a high amplitude PNA ridge over the interior west and a cold air dump into the eastern half/1/3 of the CONUS. However, the GFS ensemble has much more of a zonal flow (and a 592 ridge south of the Aleutians) and none of the forecast teleconnection indicies seem supportive of such a cold air mass. 

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

With the CPC teleconnection forecasts being similar to ESRL, my guess is that the magnitude of the cold shot will be a bit more muted than what the operational models are currently showing and unlikely to have much staying power because of the unfavorable Pacific, Arctic and North Atlantic patterns.

Does anyone have access to the RaleighWx teleconnection forecasts from the ensembles? The EPO is forecast to be negative by ESRL, but the big ridge near the Aleutians at that time argues for a trough in the Gulf of Alaska/PNW coast and a +EPO. 

The trough off the west coast pulls back to the west which creates the ridge to form over the rockies

There are some robust clippers on the 18z GFS Ensembles, and the timing has sped up in many cases, to Monday night perhaps.  If the trend continues, we're only about 5 days away from said time period.  Many Novembers this wouldn't be a big deal, but we've had basically zilch the last two Novembers, and very little in the last 20 years, so hard not to be a bit excited about any legit snow so early in the season.

Between last night's Euro, this morning's GFS, and even the new Euro it's starting to look like there's decent potential for a nice snow system next week.  Starting to look a little less likely we'll see a blockbuster storm system wrap up later next week, but the tradeoff could be a nice little system for someone.

If trends continue through Saturday, then I think we can start taking this system seriously. As in a thread.

Yeah, I wouldn't start a thread before then, by then we'd be talking around 120 hours out, which if the potential were to continue to be shown, that would be worthy of a thread starter. Maybe have someone with some luck for the region start it then, if we are still discussing things looking wintry by then.

Yeah, I wouldn't start a thread before then, by then we'd be talking around 120 hours out, which if the potential were to continue to be shown, that would be worthy of a thread starter. Maybe have someone with some luck for the region start it then, if we are still discussing things looking wintry by then.

Honestly, the timing seems to be anywhere around Monday night into Tuesday night for the clipper around here, so I'd even say late Friday.  There may well be an additional storm later next week, but that is much more up in the air, and will more likely have less cold air to work with.

Honestly, the timing seems to be anywhere around Monday night into Tuesday night for the clipper around here, so I'd even say late Friday.  There may well be an additional storm later next week, but that is much more up in the air, and will more likely have less cold air to work with.

Wait until Saturday

Joe D posted about this same storm. He posted the Euro w a broad 12+ swath on axis eastern IA to ORD to GRR. He compared track to GHD blizzard and posted snowfall map next to it.

There's nothing on the ECMWF that's even close the the GHD track or UA configuration.

Terrible met.

Except that there is..Hi Res Euro...with an axis tilted more slightly towards straight east west..no arguments on UA..GEM has it too, similar 10+ totals, more N WI to Central MI..wait and see

There's nothing on the ECMWF that's even close the the GHD track or UA configuration.

Terrible met.

I know it won't happen like this.  But this is still so pretty to me.

Middle of the day upper 30s for me.  Low to mid 30s for the region under the snow gun.

GFS_3_2013110612_F174_TMPF_2_M_ABOVE_GRO

Overnight lows wold be very low afterwards.  GFS already fantasy showing single digits in mid November in favorite cool spots.

GFS_3_2013110612_F192_TMPF_2_M_ABOVE_GRO

Then we get back-smacked again by another slug of November cold. 

Given the last decade this is bonus stuff.

GFS_3_2013110612_F312_TMPC_850_MB_SM.png

Archived