EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter 13-14' Med/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I kinda wish there was some less wintry outlook to help balance things out! lol

If we are mild with not a lot of snow it will likely be due to the SE ridge being too pumped up/west.

Yeah, I kinda wish there was some less wintry outlook to help balance things out! lol

If we are mild with not a lot of snow it will likely be due to the SE ridge being too pumped up/west.

Just a bit of searching, the CPC skill at winter forecasts since 2000 is below 50%. 

When I posted OP maps showing warmth in that time frame.  There was a bunch of posts dismissing OP models being posted for that time frame

To be fair, the GFS Ensembles as a whole tend to mirror the Euro more, with a trough, not necessarily that deep, but a trough nonetheless in that timeframe.  I don't think that 7-10 day timeframe will be warmer than normal, and if so, it won't be a torch.

When I posted OP maps showing warmth in that time frame.  There was a bunch of posts dismissing OP models being posted for that time frame

It does look like a mild and wet weekend coming, but then we both cool off sharply again. 

Go read Don S. He's about to induce weenie panic.

Yeah no kidding. Looks like he's focusing on the eastern third of the country, which puts up near the western borderline. Good points about the Pacific making or breaking our winter. 

It does look like a mild and wet weekend coming, but then we both cool off sharply again. 

Yeah no kidding. Looks like he's focusing on the eastern third of the country, which puts up near the western borderline. Good points about the Pacific making or breaking our winter. 

Hes talking about a lot of the country but focus obviously lies out east. Remember though, our location and northern latitude puts us in a whole different boat than, say, the NYC crowd. Often times things they want (regarding NAO for instance) are not what we want. Plus, the schitzophrenic CFS that he uses has already flopped back to a closer to normal temperature December and actually looks decent for the winter as whole.

Hes talking about a lot of the country but focus obviously lies out east. Remember though, our location and northern latitude puts us in a whole different boat than, say, the NYC crowd. Often times things they want (regarding NAO for instance) are not what we want. Plus, the schitzophrenic CFS that he uses has already flopped back to a closer to normal temperature December and actually looks decent for the winter as whole.

Yeah I don't trust those CFSv2 forecasts further than I could throw it beyond a week from the starting of the new month it is projecting for. lol

Somewhat +AO and neutral NAO is fine for us, but not for areas 500 miles+ further east and south.

Yeah I don't trust those CFSv2 forecasts further than I could throw it beyond a week from the starting of the new month it is projecting for. lol

Somewhat +AO and neutral NAO is fine for us, but not for areas 500 miles+ further east and south.

We have actually had some huge snowstorms with a +NAO actually as well...but no cold lover would want a +NAO all winter for sure.

Many base their analogs on what's going on today. Using that logic, next week's negative AO or neutral might correspond completely different. I would take a +2.0 AO, +1.5 NAO and a -1.2 PNA all day and everyday.

We have actually had some huge snowstorms with a +NAO actually as well...but no cold lover would want a +NAO all winter for sure.

A lot of our best snowstorms and snowy periods, as you've said, were during a +NAO period.  I think what is best is a slightly +NAO overall, and one that fluctuates a lot (turns - for a time, during which we get a storm, then rebounds a bit to keep things from getting too cold and dry.

Looks like a decent shot of cold air on the way again next week...

any recommendations for a good site to check snowpack progression in the Northern Hemi?  I know satellites is best, but...

thanks!

I like this for the US and southern Canada.

At this point of the year, sea ice and Asian snowcover is pretty useless information.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/

GFS is looking to have the colder weather hunker down in the extended. Starting to think more and more of the front sided winter could become a reality this season. For the fast few weeks with the passing of each cold front the warmth rebounds. But the duration of the rebound seems to be less and less impressive. This pattern developed just after the 90's in early September when the first cold front passed.

After the snowfall yesterday, a lot of private snow plowers have put their plows on their trucks. Actually I saw a plow yesterday.

Earliest I've seen one. I would lean towards a front sided winter this time around, but it would still be nice to get decent snowfall in February.

To quote a famous snog by Gordon Lightfoot, "Twas the witch of November come stealing."  If this should verify at 18z Monday 11/18 based off the 13/0z model run of the ECMWF, there will be a 986mb surface low over or very near Sault Ste Maire. For those that may want to make a trip to southern shores of "Gitche Gumee"  you may be treated with quite a sight.

NWS ILN mentioning lake enhanced snow bands and instability snow showers after the storm 5-6 days from now pushes by. :snowing:

HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING BEHIND THE FRONT WILL HELP PUSH IN COLD AIR
AND INCREASE THE POTENTIAL FOR LAKE ENHANCED SNOW BANDS AND
INSTABILITY SNOW SHOWERS TUES AFTERNOON.

Archived