joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 3-5 early autumn storm

cyclone77

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday's setup looks a bit further west with today's runs.  Following the Euro the heavies places the best chances for tornadoes out near the quad-state area of NE/IA/SD/MN.  Saturday looks decent for northern/central IL into southern WI, and then points east by that night.  Timing tweaks will obviously continue for at least the next day or two.  Personally I was hoping Friday's setup would be a bit closer to home, as I could take that day off, but there's no getting out of work Sat so I can't go too far Fri. 

Friday's setup looks a bit further west with today's runs.  Following the Euro the heavies places the best chances for tornadoes out near the quad-state area of NE/IA/SD/MN.  Saturday looks decent for northern/central IL into southern WI, and then points east by that night.  Timing tweaks will obviously continue for at least the next day or two.  Personally I was hoping Friday's setup would be a bit closer to home, as I could take that day off, but there's no getting out of work Sat so I can't go too far Fri. 

Kind of figured that would happen, and Saturday would be the better day around the Western Lakes for any action.

Problem is that on Saturday, trough is still deep but whole system is progged to occlude and become vertically stacked, which would likely weaken the wind fields and diminish the kinematic setup. Doesn't mean there won't be severe weather anywhere in the area, just a much lower ceiling than Friday's potential farther west. Given that the energy that will spur the trough won't make landfall in the PNW until tomorrow, further timing changes are likely until the system is sampled by the RAOB network.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Just to test the waters, here's two maps of today's (old) 12z run of the UKMET that I made:

2013100112_ukmet_pcpn.gif

2013100112_ukmet_pres.gifThe wind field is obviously rather busy, but if I increase the IJSKIP for 0 to 1, it loses too much detail.  As for QPF, I generally mocked the NCEP color scheme up to a point before splitting off.

I still have to fix the title, and I can zoom in to Iowa for the next suite (I'll probably still be up).

What do you guys think?  If I have time, I'll set it up so that a certain set of images auto-uploads to space on Valpo's server so that you can access it there.

Edit: And the title should read "12 HR PRECIP", not 6.  Argh.

Well, hello all. I hope everyone is well. I read here all the time but don't post too often. So it looks as we have our first real storm of the fall season upon us late this week into this weekend. After tonight's 00z runs, we continue to have a large discrepancy in surface low position by 00z Saturday (Friday evening). Take a look.

00z NAM surface low pressure position centered near Mankato, MN at 00z Saturday 

NAM_221_2013100200_F72_TMPF_2_M_ABOVE_GR

00z GFS surface low pressure position center near Omaha, NE at 00z Saturday

GFS_3_2013100200_F72_TMPF_2_M_ABOVE_GROU

From my experience, I personally would side more with the GFS as it and the EURO are similar in surface low pressure track and position. The NAM tends to be inaccurate until less than 48 hours out from the event. Tomorrow night's 00z runs should help to better paint the severe weather picture as the system begins to be sampled as it comes onshore. Nonetheless, this early fall system has tornado potential with it. Let's take a look.

Both the NAM and GFS show a large swath of 65+ dew point air with surface winds backed southeasterly along the northward surging warm front. 

NAM:

NAM_221_2013100200_F72_DPTF_2_M_ABOVE_GR

GFS:

GFS_3_2013100200_F72_DPTF_2_M_ABOVE_GROU

Both models also show southwesterly winds in the lower levels approaching or exceeding 40 kts 

NAM: 

NAM_221_2013100200_F72_WSPD_850_MB.png

GFS:  

GFS_3_2013100200_F72_WSPD_850_MB.png

This gives us some very nice looking profiles from both models, just in different locations due to storm track

NAM: Eau Claire, WI at 00z

NAM_218_2013100200_F72_44.5000N_91.5000W

GFS: Near Marshalltown, IA at 00z

GFS_3_2013100200_F72_42.0000N_92.5000W.p

With lapse rates looking steep, possibly near 8.0 C/KM the cold pocket aloft should provide moderate to strong instability upwards of 2,000 surface based CAPE. 

Despite location differences in the models and some mesoscale details to work out such as morning convection, I think it's safe to say that Friday holds a fairly significant severe weather potential including the potential for some tornadoes and looks to be our first severe weather action this fall.

~Connor~

Well.  You don't see this everyday.  Holy ****!

EDIT:  Sioux City Iowa goes from 86 here at 4pm to 38 by 1am.

Would be an interesting drive from DSM to Pierre, SD! Start off with shorts and end your trip with a winter coat on!

Don't ask me why I have a love affair with the UKMET...because I don't know.

Anyway...

2013100212_ukmet_850.gif

2013100212_ukmet_pcpn.gif

2013100212_ukmet_winds.gif

Per today's 12z run, central and southern Iowa looking pretty good.

It's a shame I can't plot CAPE or Helicity here like I can with the American models.

Edit: Oh yes, and once again that should be 12 HR PRECIP in the title, not 6.

Well The Weather Network has officially named this Winter Storm Atlas, so it must be legit...

I find it funny that they are naming a 'winter storm' in early October... does any low that produces snowfall get a name now?

i'll ask my colleagues who still work up there at TWN about their policy about that this year.

Doesn't look like much of an event for southern Ontario unfortunately. Hoping it delivers for some of you, especially those suffering drought conditions

Agreed, models have really backed off since Tuesday. What were some pretty good wind profiles look to be further west now, and we are now stuck with an unfavourable veer-back-veer pattern which won't be very conducive to strong storms on Saturday. Might still get some decent thunder out of it all. Oh well, thought it was too good to be true for October.

Archived