• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 3-5 early autumn storm

cyclone77

Hasn't been too much to talk about for quite some time around the sub.  Looks like we have a pretty interesting storm on the way for later this week.  Most of the models have agreed potent storm system should wrap up over the MW by Friday, with even some snow potential in parts of Minnesota.  On the front side it looks like a pretty decent shot for severe, including the potential for tornadoes could occur on Friday afternoon...

This from SPC this morning...

THE MOST LIKELY DAY FOR SEVERE WEATHER AT THIS POINT LOOKS TO BE ON   FRI/D5 NEAR THE SURFACE LOW TRACK ACROSS SRN MN...IA...WI...AND NRN   IL...WITH A LESSER THREAT ALONG THE TRAILING COLD FRONT AS FAR SW AS   OKLAHOMA. THE STRONGEST VEERING WIND PROFILES AS WELL AS STEEP   MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES WILL COEXIST NEAR THE SURFACE LOW. IN THIS   SCENARIO...SUPERCELLS WOULD BE POSSIBLE...AS WELL AS A SQUALL LINE   AS THE STRONGEST FORCING SURGES EWD. FOR SRN AREAS...LAPSE RATES   WILL NOT BE AS STEEP...AND FORCING SHOULD BE STRONGLY LINEAR.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

International Falls, Minnesota

Earliest Measurable Snow: Sept. 14, 1964

Looks like they are due. :snowing:

Ironically the crappy winter of 06-07 was the earliest snow on record here in SE Michigan, Oct 12th 2006.

..FRIDAY D4: NEB...IA...MN...WI

MODELS HAVE COME INTO BETTER ALIGNMENT AND CONFIDENCE IS HIGH FOR A
SEVERE WEATHER EPISODE ON FRI/D4 ANYWHERE FROM FAR ERN NEB INTO
IA...SRN MN...AND SWRN WI.

THE WRN TROUGH IS FORECAST TO MOVE INTO THE PLAINS ON
FRIDAY/D4...WITH A RAPIDLY DEEPENING SURFACE LOW NEAR THE NEB/IA
BORDER FRIDAY LATE AFTERNOON...CONTINUING NEWD INTO MN OVERNIGHT.

BOUNDARY LAYER DEWPOINTS ON THE ORDER OF 65-68 F WILL ALREADY BE IN
PLACE ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR...E OF THE DEVELOPING COLD FRONT
TRAILING S FROM THE SURFACE LOW...AND S OF A WARM/STATIONARY FRONT
WHICH WILL BE ACROSS SRN MN INTO CNTRL WI.

DUE TO COOLING ALOFT WITH THIS STRONG SYSTEM...MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES
WILL BE STEEP FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR...PERHAPS NEAR 8.0 C/KM...ATOP A
MOIST BOUNDARY LAYER RESULTING IN CLASSIC LOADED GUN PROFILES.
HODOGRAPHS WILL BE VERY LARGE NEAR THE SURFACE LOW TRACK...AND WILL
FAVOR SUPERCELLS PRODUCING TORNADOES...SOME POSSIBLY STRONG...AND
VERY LARGE HAIL. A FASTER MOVING FRONT OR EARLIER INITIATION COULD
LEAD TO MORE OF A LINEAR MODE WITH DAMAGING WINDS...BUT DETAILS SUCH
AS THESE HAVE LOW PREDICTABILITY THIS FAR OUT. 

looks good for the QC crew on west although I'd suspect any future timing changes will be towards a slower evolution.

The trends do keep slowing things down. If this holds off until Saturday for the best day, there's an increasing possibility that I'll head out there. I'll need a full day for travel (Friday would be ideal).

Snow?

IN THE WRAP AROUND FLOW. THE ECMWF CONTINUES
TO BE SIGNIFICANTLY COLDER THAN THE GFS AND GEM. I KEPT THE FORECAST
RAIN BUT WE WILL NEED TO MONITOR THE GFS AND GEM FOR ANY SHIFTS
TOWARDS COLDER TEMPERATURES...AND IF THIS HAPPENS...PERHAPS ADD SNOW
TO THE FORECAST. IT APPEARS THIS SYSTEM COULD BRING WIDESPREAD
RAINFALL TOTALS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES FROM WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY
SUNDAY.

That is from La Crosse

12z NAM with good severe on Friday in IA/IL/MN/WI and snow in ND. 

And does anyone know why instantweathermaps.com isn't loading images? 

Now there and into Southern MB would be where any snow would fall with this one, even then the temps look marginal at best until you get into Canada.

I noticed that instant was down a few days ago, don't know what is up there.

Anyone who remembers looking at the projections and the reality of the 2010 Octobomb, how does this severe threat compare?  I believe the primary threat for that one was in the Eastern Great Lakes (Michigan, Northern Indiana and Northern Ohio), but there was an early morning Tornado Warning for a storm in Racine County that I believe was confirmed.

Anyone who remembers looking at the projections and the reality of the 2010 Octobomb, how does this severe threat compare? I believe the primary threat for that one was in the Eastern Great Lakes (Michigan, Northern Indiana and Northern Ohio), but there was an early morning Tornado Warning for a storm in Racine County that I believe was confirmed.

This one is not nearly as intense with the surface low and winds aloft are weaker. But what this one lacks in shear (compared to Octobomb) it makes up for in instability as progs look pretty good in that regard. Octobomb was very unusual in that the tornado outbreak really got going during the early morning hours of the 26th, which is pretty hard to do in this region of the country.

This one is not nearly as intense with the surface low and winds aloft are weaker. But what this one lacks in shear (compared to Octobomb) it makes up for in instability as progs look pretty good in that regard. Octobomb was very unusual in that the tornado outbreak really got going during the early morning hours of the 26th, which is pretty hard to do in this region of the country.

Yeah, it is tough to draw distinct comparisons of the two. The problem is most of the major October outbreaks occurred with systems that were sub 990mb lows, this one is only forecast to get down to 995mb roughly. However this is earlier in the month than those events and this time around we are looking at widespread dewpoints in the mid 60s for the region with temps in some places in the low to mid 80s. I would probably compare this more to a strong spring time system than a fall one.

I will note though, last night's CIPS analog for 120hrs. the top analog was the 10/18/07 event which was a pretty significant event here in MI and for the Ohio Valley.

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/stats.php?reg=MV&model=GFS212&fhr=F120&flg=

Snow?

That is from La Crosse

I think if it does snow, it will come in the form of graupel snow. The cold, unstable air mass will probably set off rain and snow showers across the region - if it's cold enough.

I believe it happened last October around here one day.

Edit: Looks like a soaker for you.

gfsUS_sfc_prec_090.gif

Wahoo something to track, and a chance at severe around these parts taboot.

Been able to pull some pretty nice soundings off the GFS, turning looks great for some warm front action on Saturday in ON. Also liking the progged 65 dewpoints We'll see how the models progress throughout the week of course.

Archived