DRY SLOT WILL BRING A SHORT WINDOW WITH A BREAK IN SNOWFALL THIS
EVENING ACROSS WESTERN NEW YORK BUT EXPECT THAT THIS WILL FILL BACK
IN LATER IN THE EVENING AS WRAP-AROUND/COMMA HEAD DRIVEN SNOW ON THE
BACK SIDE OF THE TRANSITIONING LOW SHIFTS ACROSS OUR REGION. THE
LATEST HRRR RUNS SHOW THIS SCENARIO VERY WELL. THE BREAK IN SNOW MAY
EVEN CUT BACK ON SNOW TOTALS IF THE WRAP AROUND TAKES LONGER TO FILL
BACK IN. THE WRAP AROUND PRECIP EXHIBITING MORE IN THE WAY OF
SYNOPTIC LIFT AND MOISTURE WHICH SHOULD EVEN BRING MORE INTENSE
SNOWFALL RATES POSSIBLY UP TO AN INCH AN HOUR.

Heavy snow for the past 90 minutes in Ithaca. It looks as if eastern CNY could be temporarily saved from the dry slot thanks to some backbuilding in southern PA and a sudden flareup of convection around Pittsburgh. We should easily pass 6 inches by the time this is all done tomorrow AM, since we're already quite close at the moment. Binghamton's 4-6 call will be confirmed to be a joke. Still have no clue what they were seeing.

Dry slot about to make an appearance in my backyard.  Eyeballing about 4" new snow today, most of it falling between 4-7 PM.  Came down hard for those 3 hours, but flake size was iffy which kept totals in check.  

Snow seems a bit heavy on the western end of buffalo,It also looks like the nws have cut down the snowfall totals for the Genesee valley from 6-10" to 5-8" and 4-6" for N.frontier.

Decent storm here around SYR...not crippling but it is windy. Drove thru Lights on the Lake in the snow, was excellent. Dendrites not all that impressive for the most part...more of a rice texture (best lift not in SGZ thusfar?). I'd estimate about 4" a bit N of SYR. Keep that damn dryslot away!

LES looks intriguing off Ontario post storm, which George observed earlier. I think even if we end up a shade low synoptically, the Lake may bail us out Sunday and Sun night.

9 PM UPDATE... WITH BANDS OF ONE INCH AN HOUR SNOW MOVING THROUGH THE AREA SNOWFALL AMOUNTS HAVE BEEN UPPED AND THE WARNING AREA EXPANDED. REPORT OF SLEET NEAR AVP BUT STILL MOSTLY SNOW EVERYWHERE. FURTHER SOUTH SOUTH OF I80 MIX OR FZRA. THIS WILL MOVE INTO AVP AND PROBABLY MSV AROUND MIDNIGHT. BACK EDGE IN SRN PA SO SEVERAL HOURS OF MIX IN THE SOUTH. ICE AMOUNTS THERE STILL LOOK GOOD AND WELL BELOW HALF INCH WARNING AMOUNTS. ENDING TIME OF FLAGS OF 7 AM LOOKS GOOD STILL WITH THE PRECIP PULLING OUT BETWEEN 3 AND 7 AM. TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO FALL AND ADJUSTED HOURLY AND MIN TEMP DOWN.

10-14 for MBY and Syracuse area...I have my doubts, but there is a solid refilling of echoes to the south.  About 4.5" today so far.

In other words, exactly the accums models have been showing for the past 5 days. Gee, who could have expected that would happen? :axe:

Embarrassing for them.

Well...in following their AFDs in the storm runup, the office, or author, seemed a bit skeptical of the event. A lot of talk about SGZ and Omega non-alignment and also mix potential in So. Tier and NEPA into Catskills (which may play out but should be inconsequential to NY So. Tier). Up this way, the dendrite size has indeed been weak, until last few hours. But that was well forecast. I can't speak for you all to the south of SYR, or the BGM area as I am not there. The only real curious thing is the micro managing of Advisory vs. WSW's. Not sure if its a philosophy thing or just an individual's preference. This looked like a "set it and forget it" situation...6"...8"...close enough for government work. ;)

With the dryslot knocking on my back door soon I'm not sold on 10-14" and think the previous map looked good (up here). We'll see how the back end fills in. Looks reasonably promising.

In other words, exactly the accums models have been showing for the past 5 days. Gee, who could have expected that would happen?  :axe:

Embarrassing for them.

In all fairness, I'd have forecast just about the same as they had been all along.  Very typical in these situations (Miller B for us to underperform vs. models than to reach the consensus....especially with the speed this is moving at, and the potential for some downsloping concerns off the Catskills into the lake plain.  That said, we haven't verified anything yet, and if we do hit 10" (as a mean for CNY) then we will indeed have to give props to the qpf progs for this storm.....in the not too distant past, we can find examples of woefully inadequate qpf outputs vs. verification...

Well...in following their AFDs in the storm runup, the office, or author, seemed a bit skeptical of the event. A lot of talk about SGZ and Omega non-alignment and also mix potential in So. Tier and NEPA into Catskills (which may play out but should be inconsequential to NY So. Tier). Up this way, the dendrite size has indeed been weak, until last few hours. But that was well forecast. I can't speak for you all to the south of SYR, or the BGM area as I am not there. The only real curious thing is the micro managing of Advisory vs. WSW's. Not sure if its a philosophy thing or just an individual's preference. This looked like a "set it and forget it" situation...6"...8"...close enough for government work. ;)

With the dryslot knocking on my back door soon I'm not sold on 10-14" and thing the previous map looked good (up here). We'll see how the back end fills in. Looks reasonably promising.

I agree that 10-14 is a little too optimistic. A  general 8-10 should have been put out for all of their NY counties. Although the approaching comma head could have some nice bursts of snow to be sure.

In all fairness, I'd have forecast just about the same as they had been all along.  Very typical in these situations (Miller B for us to underperform vs. models than to reach the consensus....especially with the speed this is moving at, and the potential for some downsloping concerns off the Catskills into the lake plain.  That said, we haven't verified anything yet, and if we do hit 10" (as a mean for CNY) then we will indeed have to give props to the qpf progs for this storm.....in the not too distant past, we can find examples of woefully inadequate qpf outputs vs. verification...

I'm usually pessimistic for storms like this as well, but the consistency of every model in putting out 6"+ across just about all of upstate NY finally swayed me by Thursday evening. Had every model been badly wrong and everyone gotten a general 4-6 like BGM was forecasting, I'm not sure that I could have taken the former seriously for the rest of the winter.

I am tempted to do an observation at 11pm...accum and liquid equivalent. I think that's legal.

Archived