Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into Fall

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 degrees, with about 5.5" for the storm last time I checked.  Alternating between S and S+, but coming down nicely either way.

Dryslot filling in nicely now. Whew, that was close...I wonder if some PL was mixing in SE of BGM in NEPA last hour? Some high DBZ returns in a northward propagating wave it appeared. Either that or SN++. Regardless, its headed to the I-88 corridor and ALB as SN+. Enjoy!

Just did a measurement...5.8" and 0.57" liquid. About dead nuts 10:1. Considering its been around 10-15F throughout the storm, very ****ty snow growth indicated. Just goes to show ya there's more to this science stuff than meets the eye. ;)

Yeah, the flakes were tiny with the exception of a 2 hour stretch when the heavy stuff cam through. Always something that is missing up here with these synoptic storms compared to back home.

Yeah, the flakes were tiny with the exception of a 2 hour stretch when the heavy stuff cam through. Always something that is missing up here with these synoptic storms compared to back home.

This area has been in a relative screw zone the past several winters for synoptic storms, esp BGM to ALB, which is atypical, based on my half a hundred years of experience (most along I-95 from CT to NJ to VA). I think its just a cycle of chance/probabilities playing out.

Nice precip hole opened up right over me and extending SW along the flow. That's always nice. It'll fill in but I think we will struggle to get to 10". Hopefully LES kicks in late Sunday.

Was at the in laws house all day in the hills of South Eden. Took the dog for a 2 hour walk in some really deep snow with my wife. We had a blast and the dog had even more fun. Took a video and a few pictures while on our adventure! Hope you guys enjoy! Average snow depth was less than I thought with around 14-17 inches on the ground. The fluffy nature of Lake Effect Snow compacts very easily in comparison to synoptic systems that's for sure.

Snow Depth

I_Phone_PIctures_Fall_2013_033.jpg

Partial frozen creek

I_Phone_PIctures_Fall_2013_036.jpg

Guy clearing off snow from the roof

I_Phone_PIctures_Fall_2013_037.jpg

Huge snowbank, there is a dog in there somewhere ^_^

I_Phone_PIctures_Fall_2013_042.jpg

Running threw the snow with the dog, awesome workout!

My cousin just sent this to me of how much snow in northwest side of Buffalo. To show you the comparison between 3-4 miles north of Buffalo and 15 miles south of Buffalo.

This area has been in a relative screw zone the past several winters for synoptic storms, esp BGM to ALB, which is atypical, based on my half a hundred years of experience (most along I-95 from CT to NJ to VA). I think its just a cycle of chance/probabilities playing out.

Nice precip hole opened up right over me and extending SW along the flow. That's always nice. It'll fill in but I think we will struggle to get to 10". Hopefully LES kicks in late Sunday.

There was a great storm in late Feb 2011 with 16-18 inches in Ithaca(3rd biggest storm I've consciously experienced, behind Feb 2010 and PDII at home), but since then my biggest event here was a 6 incher in mid-April(?!) 2012. Until tonight, of course. Maybe this winter can turn around our luck.

There was a great storm in late Feb 2011 with 16-18 inches in Ithaca(3rd biggest storm I've consciously experienced, behind Feb 2010 and PDII at home), but since then my biggest event here was a 6 incher in mid-April(?!) 2012. Until tonight, of course. Maybe this winter can turn around our luck.

PD 2.0 was great up here...as i recall we bagged about 14-16" synoptic and almost matched that with LES right afterwards. Best storm I've seen since I've been here in 2004. Schools were even open! Though they threw in the towel and sent kids home early that day and they did get the next day off with raging LES going on. Of course if they closed schools for every middling 4-6" storm they'd be going into July.

Getting more post dry slot!!! Rochester just getting crushed right now. I'm sure enhancement is occurring. Like 1.25/ hr! BUST high for the NWS who only issued warnings at noon Saturday. Lol. The poor fxcsters can't win. I must admit, that dry slot made me Very nervous.

Rochester had ROCHESTER INTL ARPT 1.5 700 PM 12/14 ASOS

KROC will bust low not high.... Well unless they receive another 8 inches since 10 PM.

So I have 8 so far. Kroc is late in update. Got like 4 in last 3 hrs. Measured on top of hard surface, patio table

Yep I expect Kroc to have a max of around 7-8 inches for this storm since they had 1.5 at 7 pm then a 3 hour dry slot. Unless its snowing at 2 inches per hour I don't expect them to bust. They had Kroc getting 6-10 inches since a few days ago. The NWS did incredibly well with there accumulation forecast with this one.

Alright on to the next clipper lol.

Yeah, haha. I love this winter so far, has almost made up for the last 2 pathetic winters. I love clippers though, you always have zero expectations with them but sometimes they can really deliver a punch. I rememember a few of them calling for 1-3 inches and receiving like 6-8.

7" in Ithaca(7.3 at the airport), with another one possibly coming as the comma head slides through in a few hours. All in all, it seems like my projections for a general 6-10 across CNY and WNY were on point(et tu, Binghamton?). Nice to see us not get hosed by a synoptic event for once. 

On a related note, I feel like the big lesson for me from this storm was that temps mean almost nothing for snow ratios if they're not accompanied by good snow growth conditions. We would have easily passed a foot with these temps had the flakes been normal sized instead of the subatomic particles they were for most of the storm. I guess next time we need to root for the secondary to crawl up the Hudson Valley!  :weenie:

Yep I expect Kroc to have a max of around 7-8 inches for this storm since they had 1.5 at 7 pm then a 3 hour dry slot. Unless its snowing at 2 inches per hour I don't expect them to bust. They had Kroc getting 6-10 inches since a few days ago. The NWS did incredibly well with there accumulation forecast with this one.

Not sure why u don't blv me. I live like 6 miles north of Kroc. I'm sure their storm total will exceed 10".

I can't tell you exactly when but we were ripping sleet at some point here in central Otsego County last night.  That's farther north than expected.

I was in a deep sleep and barely roused to hear the sleet slamming the window screens.

That may have hurt accums a bit, I haven't been out yet but I think we are  around 8 inches.

A track up through the Hudson won't do me any good, haha, but for you, absolutely..  A decent event for most here however.  I finished with a little over 12".  There were very impressive bands of heavy snow that lifted through from down in the Southern Tier and NE Penn late last night and early overnight.  Eastern Upstate NY has been fringe city the past couple years (compared to New England anyway) so its nice to finally take one on the chin.

7" in Ithaca(7.3 at the airport), with another one possibly coming as the comma head slides through in a few hours. All in all, it seems like my projections for a general 6-10 across CNY and WNY were on point(et tu, Binghamton?). Nice to see us not get hosed by a synoptic event for once. 

On a related note, I feel like the big lesson for me from this storm was that temps mean almost nothing for snow ratios if they're not accompanied by good snow growth conditions. We would have easily passed a foot with these temps had the flakes been normal sized instead of the subatomic particles they were for most of the storm. I guess next time we need to root for the secondary to crawl up the Hudson Valley!  :weenie:

I measured a total of 7.5" and 0.8 liquid. I am thinking my spot was biased high by drifting though. Either that or one helluva lot of compaction out on the driveway where there is closer to 4". I measured at 11 pm last night and 8 am this a.m. I am thinking if i just measured at 8 am I would have had lower total snow accum and really been scratching my head about an even lower ratio. Definitely relearned some things about snow growth physics from this storm, which makes it interesting. BGM AFD was right to be mentioning the snow growth being a potential issue prior to the storm (I thought they were more concerned with So. Tier though)...turned out it was a big factor up here as the comma head yielded maybe 1.5" of snow. Heavy consistency to what fell...unusual for such a cold storm.

Nice storm - ended up in the 6-8" range here.  Take that and run any time in WNY.  Good long duration event with a couple bursts of SN+ to jazz things up.  

Region totals are a bit lower than I expected based on reports here....http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF&format=ci&version=1

They're going strictly on 24 hour totals, though... seemed like this thing put a couple morning inches down through sn- from early Saturday morning, which would put it more in the 9 to 10 range from the synoptic event. But it's hard to separate what's what here in WNY, we had the lake event, a frontal passage, yesterday's thing, now more sn- and some minor lake stuff tomorrow, then a clipper on Tuesday...

Nice storm - ended up in the 6-8" range here.  Take that and run any time in WNY.  Good long duration event with a couple bursts of SN+ to jazz things up.  

Region totals are a bit lower than I expected based on reports here....http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF&format=ci&version=1

Those are 24 hr totals....they should include the stuff from Friday night in storm totals when all is said and done. 

Archived