Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Heading into Fall

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like were going to take a pretty big hit from that Lake Effect band down here before the winds veer.

Yes we are getting hit very hard right now. Solid 1-2" an hour snow falling right now with just huge flakes. If we can manage to keep this up for 2-3 hours before the winds veer we might pick up another 3-6" tonight before another 2-4" from that clipper. May be over 50" for the season by mid week which is just amazing.

Yes we are getting hit very hard right now. Solid 1-2" an hour snow falling right now with just huge flakes. If we can manage to keep this up for 2-3 hours before the winds veer we might pick up another 3-6" tonight before another 2-4" from that clipper. May be over 50" for the season by mid week which is just amazing.

More than 1-2 inches per hour, more like 3-4 inches per hour atm.

It was snowing so hard there were sounds of sleet or something hitting along with snowflakes on my windshield.

WOw its heading up this way too,they issued a special weather statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT...CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

358 PM EST SUN DEC 15 2013

NYZ010>012-085-152315-

NORTHERN ERIE-GENESEE-WYOMING-SOUTHERN ERIE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BUFFALO...BATAVIA...WARSAW...

ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE

358 PM EST SUN DEC 15 2013

...LAKE EFFECT BAND WILL BRING A BRIEF PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW TO THE

BUFFALO METRO AREA...

A LAKE EFFECT BAND EXTENDING FROM LAKE ERIE BEACH INTO HAMBURG WILL

LIFT NORTHWARD INTO DOWNTOWN BUFFALO BETWEEN 400 PM AND 500 PM AND

THEN THE BAND WILL GRADUALLY DROP SOUTHWARD AROUND SUNSET. THE

BAND WILL EXTEND INLAND INTO WESTERN PORTIONS OF WYOMING COUNTY

AND SOUTHWESTERN PORTIONS OF GENESEE COUNTY AS WELL. THIS WILL

BRING A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW TO MOST OF THE BUFFALO METRO

AREA...INCLUDING THE SOUTH TOWNS...DOWNTOWN BUFFALO AND POSSIBLY

INTO TONAWANDA AND WILLIAMSVILLE. EXPECT SNOWFALL RATES OF ONE TO

TWO INCHES AN HOUR WITH THIS LAKE EFFECT BAND. AGAIN...EXPECT THE

BAND WILL QUICKLY DROP SOUTHWARD BACK INTO THE SOUTH TOWNS AND

BOSTON HILLS AFTER SUNSET. MOTORISTS SHOULD MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT TO

AVOID TRAVEL IN HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW SINCE ROAD CONDITIONS CAN

DETERIORATE RAPIDLY.

$

APFFEL

C'mon guys, save some for me!!!!

Seriously though, my parents just reported thundersnow in Orchard Park. What an incredible band! I'm coming home on Saturday so hopefully Friday's mini-thaw will be just a temporary interruption to this extraordinary pattern you're experiencing. The Euro/Canadian having been hinting at a synoptic event next Sunday, so I've got my fingers crossed. In the meantime, enjoy this epic stretch - I'm very very jealous.

The band is like 2 miles south of me where it's dumping. I noticed the models showed this for a day or so now, but NWS/Mets didn't speak much of it.

At least this is happening during the weekend. A lot of roads around here were terrible already.

The band is like 2 miles south of me where it's dumping. I noticed the models showed this for a day or so now, but NWS/Mets didn't speak much of it.

At least this is happening during the weekend. A lot of roads around here were terrible already.

Were going to get a foot+ out of this easily. 3-4 inch per hour rates continue with thunder snow.

Not to hijack the conversation about the epic snowband that is pummeling Erie/Wyoming/Genesee Counties right now...but if the Canadian pans out regarding next weekend's event, there is significant ice storm potential somewhere in Upstate NY. This really is a classic ice storm setup with multiple weak waves of low pressure traversing a quasi-stationary frontal boundary over at least a two-day period...and an elongated arctic high bridging across Ontario and Quebec:

post-619-0-75664100-1387146627_thumb.png

The Euro is farther south and would lead to a snowier outcome, and it looks like the GFS keeps most if not all precip south of New York state. Should be interesting to track.

Ok carry on, enjoy your 4"/hour thundersnow...sorry to interrupt  ;)

Archived