joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd Half of August WX Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if MT. Whitney in Cali gets good snows in the winter? I have a friend who just hiked it last week and she said they told her it doesn't snow much there . That's not correct is it?

I hiked it in 1982. It was August and there is are glaciers above 12000 feet lol. It snows.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what happened at BDL... only 54?  Even HFD, HVN, and GON were cooler, lol.

It looks based on the obs that BDL had trouble going calm. IJD, CEF, and HFD all managed to get calm for at least 4-5 hours. BDL only had a calm obs at 09z and 11z/12z...interrupted in between by wind at 10z. Most of the others went calm after 06z until sunrise.

Does anyone know if MT. Whitney in Cali gets good snows in the winter? I have a friend who just hiked it last week and she said they told her it doesn't snow much there . That's not correct is it?

I hiked it in 1982. It was August and there were glaciers above 12000 feet lol. After a fropa we had periods of light snow. It snows.

I hiked it in 1982. It was August and there were glaciers above 12000 feet lol. After a fropa we had periods of light snow. It snows.

Mt weather can be pretty spectacular.   A friend of mine was up over 10K feet on some summit in Colorado and told of clouds developing around them, and over them, and it getting rather dark.  Boom.  Lighting from all directions, as they ran to a cabin adjacent some parking lot.  Then within just 2 minutes, it was grappling very heavy with more lighting and loud booms, then just a moment or two later, a weird mix of what looked like snow, grapple and hail, then the sun came back out and the booms echoed away as the storm moved off.  It was like 4 season in 7 minutes.  

Basically what he was describing is life inside the top half of a CB - ha. And it really doesn't matter if it's summer or not. Once you get up that high things can turn around in a heart beat

Mt weather can be pretty spectacular. A friend of mine was up over 10K feet on some summit in Colorado and told of clouds developing around them, and over them, and it getting rather dark. Boom. Lighting from all directions, as they ran to a cabin adjacent some parking lot. Then within just 2 minutes, it was grappling very heavy with more lighting and loud booms, then just a moment or two later, a weird mix of what looked like snow, grapple and hail, then the sun came back out and the booms echoed away as the storm moved off. It was like 4 season in 7 minutes.

Basically what he was describing is life inside the top half of a CB - ha. And it really doesn't matter if it's summer or not. Once you get up that high things can turn around in a heart beat

I was in the Rockies at 12k and had rain, hail, and

Snow all at the same time.

Bummed that I was on the Cape and missed two sub-70* days at the Pit with respective hights of 69.0 and 65.7. 

I guess my string of sub 80's will come to an end at some point next week.  If I can hold out through August 21, I will have managed a full month near the height of summer missing that mark.  I miss 80* a lot, but never a string that long I don't think.  Pretty remarkable even if I don't go the full month.

To MVY today, back to the pit tomorrow.

54.6/50 at the Pit.

Bummed that I was on the Cape and missed two sub-70* days at the Pit with respective hights of 69.0 and 65.7. 

I guess my string of sub 80's will come to an end at some point next week.  If I can hold out through August 21, I will have managed a full month near the height of summer missing that mark.  I miss 80* a lot, but never a string that long I don't think.  Pretty remarkable even if I don't go the full month.

To MVY today, back to the pit tomorrow.

54.6/50 at the Pit.

But you were/are in a much better place.

Archived