joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd Half of August WX Discussion

Quincy

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just wondering, statistically since say 1920 what's the ratio, seems easier to be higher with high low overnights clouded months

I think a lot of people will be surprised by this, but going all the way back to 1920, that's 1123 months, this is how it shakes out for months with departures of at least 2.5 degrees...

BDL: 192 months above, 241 months below

BOS: 193 months above, 194 months below

ORH: 196 months above, 232 months below

PVD: 148 months above, 259 months below

Next we take the above normal months of which there are 729 between the four stations from 1920-Aug 2013, and break down the months where the greater contribution to the 2.5 degree monthly warm departures were due to the highs or lows (the spread between the average monthly high and low departure had to be at least 0.5 degrees to count otherwise I considered it an equal contribution by daytime highs and nighttime lows)...

BDL: 77 months from warm nights, 82 months from warm days

BOS: 26 months from warm nights, 144 months from warm days

ORH: 36 months from warm nights, 135 months from warm days

PVD: 55 months from warm nights, 59 months from warm days

Looking at it since 2007...

BDL: 8 months from warm nights, 11 months from warm days

BOS: 6 months from warm nights, 17 months from warm days

ORH: 8 months from warm nights, 12 months from warm days

PVD: 11 months from warm nights, 8 months from warm days

I think a lot of people will be surprised by this, but going all the way back to 1920, that's 1123 months, this is how it shakes out for months with departures of at least 2.5 degrees...

Next we take the above normal months of which there are 729 between the four stations from 1920-Aug 2013, and break down the months where the greater contribution to the 2.5 degree monthly warm departures were due to the highs or lows (the spread between the average monthly high and low departure had to be at least 0.5 degrees to count otherwise I considered it an equal contribution by daytime highs and nighttime lows)...

awesome, thanks. Definitely not what I imagined.

Great stats!

Again, Snowman comes through...awesome stats dude.

The most telling to me is the recent stretch of only 5 months of -2.5 or more departure since 2007, while there have 25 such months with +2.5 or more.

It just seems like you would really need to be convinced of a below normal month to forecast one. It seems like +1 is a good WAG to start with most months.

Again, Snowman comes through...awesome stats dude.

The most telling to me is the recent stretch of only 5 months of -2.5 or more departure since 2007, while there have 25 such months with +2.5 or more.

It just seems like you would really need to be convinced of a below normal month to forecast one. It seems like +1 is a good WAG to start with most months.

Even more impressive is that these Above Normal months continue with higher normals (30 year normals) than before.

What normals are you using 1920-2013 normals, the normals specific to that time period, or the 1980-2010 normals?

Even more impressive is that these Above Normal months continue with higher normals (30 year normals) than before.

What normals are you using 1920-2013 normals, the normals specific to that time period, or the 1980-2010 normals?

The normals used were the current 1981-2010 normals. Normals prior to the 1941-1970 set are spotty at best and the method of computation of what's normal do change over time (it's not a straight average when it comes to temperatures). In general the current normals are used when comparing departures from normal from different eras so I followed that standard.

Archived