Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
After a nice weekend, the ugly head of humidity and summer return

Avdave

Yawn.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/08/29/d-c-s-maryland-suburbs-have-among-nations-lowest-disaster-risk/

Trulia, the real estate web portal, says residents from Bethesda to Frederick have less to worry about compared to most U.S. metropolitan areas when it comes to natural hazards.

The Bethesda to Frederick corridor ranks 5th among the nation’s “lowest risk” metro areas for extreme weather, wildfire and earthquake catastrophes, Trulia has concluded.

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're in a more rural spot - no sign of anything really changing out here, but we've also had a good bit of rain this summer as well - grass stayed green all summer (can't remember the last time that happened), and the trees have not been stressed like in hot, dry summers of previous years.  I'm hoping we get the right conditions for spectacular fall colors this year, and don't end up with leaves going from green straight to brown, or an early season wind storm that knocks the leaves off early.  A mild fall, with sunny warm days, and crisp mornings would be perfect.

I hope you get it. I'm sick of mowing. I'm mowing every fifth day and cutting 3 to 4 inches every time.

Thanks.

That was the first time I've mowed in two weeks. I probably didn't need to do the front lawn, but the section in the back that doesn't bake in the sun was getting a little shaggy.

I'm not a big believer in wasting water on a lawn unless its absolutely necessary, but it's getting close to that point now.

2.34" in the second half of the summer here.

And we've nickel-and-dimed our want to that. Tons of rain in June, the it turned off like a spigot once we got into July. If we can get an inch or so over the next few days, it'll be absolutely wonderful.

Living in a town home, my front yard isn't very big. My neighbor has been known to put a sprinkler out front running for hours on end. He once placed it too close to our houses and the water was hitting the outside of our bay window. Windows closed, so not a huge deal, but it was very tempting to walk over and place the sprinkler on his front step.....while still running. 

Have to agree with Phineas above, watering in the dead of winter just to maintain green grass is a waste. The grass is going to come back in the fall with the cool/wet weather anyway.

Besides, when the grass dies out, you find out how much of your yard is actually weeds.

DCA had 2.74" in the second half of summer.  Since 1970, only 1998 and 2006 were drier in this period.

BWI only had 1.69" so I imagine that this is one of their lowest mid-July through August periods. 

Very good thing we had such a wet start to summer.

Putting precious filtered fresh water on your grass so you can show up your dumb neighbor is one of those incredibly shallow middle class activities in America that has to stop.

Good grass only goes dormant anyway. I agree, I'm never going to water my grass regardless of what it looks like.

I could see watering new grass. It will die. I wouldn't want to waste the effort that goes into the planting process. Once established though, it's on it's own.

Good grass only goes dormant anyway. I agree, I'm never going to water my grass regardless of what it looks like.

I could see watering new grass. It will die. I wouldn't want to waste the effort that goes into the planting process. Once established though, it's on it's own.

Yes, I never water established lawns. New, yep.

Had 1.10 inches here yesterday. With lots of T&L.

Although August actually ended slightly below normal

with just under 3"  due to me reporting at

7 am for CoCoRaHS.

Archived