bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Early August Wx Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scoots, question, why do they always round up ? seems that over time that would lead to some skewing, this is BDL yesterday

TEMPERATURE (F)

YESTERDAY

MAXIMUM 84 220 PM 100 1949 84 0

MINIMUM 61 1159 PM 45 1964 62 -1

AVERAGE 73 73 0

As far as I know, it's rounded to the nearest whole number. Like 72.3 is 72, 72.5 is 73 etc. I've seen it round to a lower number, but I think what you don't see is the calculation of the exact high and low to the nearest 0.1F.

Historically they may have rounded to the whole number so when processing the information on computers the value could be represented as a 8 bit short integer or 16 bit integer.  Once you start going to decimals you're talking 32 bits generally and back in the day that could have posed a problem.

Scoots, question, why do they always round up ? seems that over time that would lead to some skewing, this is BDL yesterday

TEMPERATURE (F)

YESTERDAY

MAXIMUM 84 220 PM 100 1949 84 0 

MINIMUM 61 1159 PM 45 1964 62 -1 

AVERAGE 73 73 0 

Doesn't matter. The monthly mean doesn't average the daily means. It uses the summation of the maxes and mins.

Doesn't matter. The monthly mean doesn't average the daily means. It uses the summation of the maxes and mins.

yeah that's what I thought, so in order to get a correct deviation over a specific period you would need to not just use temp deviation from normal for the period but rather each day based on normal for that day?

Steve...check out any F6. Below the dailies you'll see a "SM" row with summations for various column variables. Those are used to calculate the monthly mean which wiped out any 0.5F round-ups in the daily data.

Steve...check out any F6. Below the dailies you'll see a "SM" row with summations for various column variables. Those are used to calculate the monthly mean which wiped out any 0.5F round-ups in the daily data.

yeah I know what you mean. But when I was calculating the period from 7/21 to today I used daily departures. To get an exact number I would have to use the daily climate report for each day and put in exact departures.

Wow what a winter ahead......

I went to shul yesterday to celebrate the bat mizvah of a friends daughter. As I was leaving, the rabbi chased me and caught me and asked..."what kind of winter?" I gave him my views and he said ok....I'll prepare.

I reminded him I'd don't do this for a living and forecasts a day away are often wrong but he's going with my call...lol.

There will still be a trough in the east, or at least a tendency for one. I'd watch where that boundary hangs up. I do see the warm up potential, but the GEFS try to slightly cool us down again after the 22 or so.  The ridge out west does weaken for a time and the flow becomes less meridional, so that's when we try to warm up. If we are getting +3 or higher...it's probably going to be from overnight lows again.

There will still be a trough in the east, or at least a tendency for one. I'd watch where that boundary hangs up. I do see the warm up potential, but the GEFS try to slightly cool us down again after the 22 or so.  The ridge out west does weaken for a time and the flow becomes less meridional, so that's when we try to warm up. If we are getting +3 or higher...it's probably going to be from overnight lows again.

Bootleg...

I mean torch.

Archived