• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August 2013 General Discussion

Geos

I think barring any surprises tomorrow this will probably be it for the summer. Pretty incredible when you think about it. considering that we really didn't have a huge amount of severe weather this summer.

Yeah, a lot less MCS type action in general this summer compared to the last few and more in the way of synoptic and frontal events, the most unusual being that retrograding upper level low in late June. 2010-2012 were pretty much MCS or nothing kind of summers by comparison.

Also, a single month didn't push us up this year either in the precip rankings either - every single month has been consistently above normal: 6.01, 4.14, and 5.98.

This is also (barring something very unusual happening Saturday) the first Detroit August with no 90's since 2004. The only 90's we did achieve this summer were thanks to that historic 600+ dm  high retrograding in from the Atlantic in July.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They actually are moving ENE it looks like.  I did not expect storms to make a run into SW Wisconsin and nearly up to Madison.

They moved ENE alright!

Had a lovely t-storm with heavy rain at 5am. 0.63" of rain including what fell last evening. Beat the 30" mark for the year now.

Guess it will be a cloudy and damp day. Surprised UGN only picked up 0.11" this morning, lol. That cell was dead center over me.

We can't get a drop of rain here....  If we don't get anything tonite/tomorrow..it'll be another week.

1.04 inch this month!   my God!   after 2.04 inches in July.

This will be the 8th driest Aug on record here..

You were the one complaining about too much rain this spring into June.  That is why I never complain about too much rain (unless it floods the basement or something): it can turn on a dime.

Still raining pretty good here this morning.  Been that way since about 7, when my better half and I starting hearing rumbles of thunder.  Looks like another hour, perhaps, of rain and such, and then it should all be moved out.

So far, about .61" locally.

hawk-

Everything dead down there?

Its ugly looking here..just brown/dusty and crusty.    Its all sand here, so it just makes it worse. 

Local crops yields i bet will be horrible. 

The lawns are certainly in rough shape, even with added water.  There is a lot of rust on the grass.  I've kept all my plants and new trees watered.

Gonna finish August with 1.07" here.  Most of that fell before Aug 5th.  It looks very dry around here now with brown lawns, etc, but we had over 6" in June, and had several wet months before that.  Not concerned about drought at all here, even with the lack of rain lately.  Sitting at just under 32" of precip for the year so far.

I'm thinking tomorrow's frontal passage will be dry here.   Looks like the greatest forcing is both north and south, yet MKX is stating the 12z NAM is the only dry model with the passage.  Both the LSX WRF and WRF NMM are basically dry with the front themselves.  Besides catching the edge of a good cell yesterday, this has been a week of missed opportunities with rainfall, and next week looks worse, but at least it will be comfortable.

Managed 76° with mostly cloudy skies until about 3:30, then it was variably cloudy more so. With the low pending for today still, the departure for the month will be a bit over -0.5°.

Went west of here a good 15 miles and noticed tree and powerline damage from the storms yesterday. Debris littering the roads, yards, and shoulders.

Nice view of the t-storms complex's roaming the Midwest at sunset tonight. 

Friday evening I was driving on I-94 from Berrien Co. MI into nw IN and will second the comments about some great cloud to cloud lightning strikes.  What a show.  Today Sat in Highland IN we had a number of cells with C-G strikes around the noon hour into early afternoon.  Today's midday storms surprised me some by their occurrence.

August wrap up:

Average High: 79.7°

Average Low: 59.1°

Overall: 69.5°

Departure (High): +0.77°

Departure (Low): -1.68°

Overall: -0.45°

Rainfall: 1.83"/4.65cm

Highest temperature: 95°

Lowest temperature: 50°

5; 90s

9; 80s

14; 70s

3; 60s

Summer wrap up:

Departure (High): -0.813°

Departure (Low): -1.113°

Overall Departure: -0.963°

Rainfall Total: 10.81"/27.46cm

Highest temperature: 96°

Lowest temperature: 39°

Spread: 57°

Overall a cool and somewhat wet summer. The nights especially were cooler overall compared to normal.

Below shows the temperature trend here for the whole year, with summer within the white lines.

The cool late July/early August period stands out quite well!

Archived