12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Christmas Storm

Cold Rain

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 12Z Euro has light snow beginning around dark Christmas eve night in the northern Mtns and spreads across I-40 and north for north central NC overnight, with a low on the other side of the Apps. The 2M temps are mid 30s in CLT and southern NC with cold rain but with a little bit of damming that could be colder and mix or icy somewhere nearby. This is a 5.5 day prog, but it does have a snowy Christmas eve in parts of NC, so you can't beat that. At 144hr the low is jumping the Apps and redeveloping in the Piedmont of SC or so, with moisture plentiful in the Carolinas and temps dropping rapidly so a transition to snow over the western Carolinas for many on Christmas morning. By midday its deepening over eastern NC and goes up the coast, with snow wraparound and the Upper Low dynamics crossing the state would probably be a nice big of snow for many in the Carolinas and northern Ga.and eastern Tn.

Still plenty of time to watch this, but its nice to see a slight south trend. If it trended a little more south yet, it would get more folks in the front end snow, meaning a snowstorm throughout. On Christmas, which would be practically unbelivable in some places outside the mountains, where snow is so rare anytime.

From what I'm reading, this sounds like a step in the right direction from the 12z Euro solution. We just need to continue that southward trend, as you stated. Course, we've all been down that road just recently, so there will be bumps along the way lol. This is beginning to have a deja vu kind of feeling regarding our recent event when it was predicted a while back by the Euro.

From what I'm reading, this sounds like a step in the right direction from the 12z Euro solution. We just need to continue that southward trend, as you stated. Course, we've all been down that road just recently, so there will be bumps along the way lol. This is beginning to have a deja vu kind of feeling regarding our recent event when it was predicted a while back by the Euro.

the euro had already lost the storm ots by now for WNC for the last threat around day 6 or 7. with all of the consistency out of all models for a storm. i think the question is when does it phase which will determine the outcome whether its rain or snow. right now for nw nc through north central nc the euro is a nice hit. if we see a south trend the next few days it would be a bigger hit for more of the southeast.

Yep...lots of times the GFS will morph two or more of the fantasys at this long range into one real storm. Climo is right for us. Just have to wait and see if the cold reloads, or if it is a transition into a warmer period in Jan. I'm betting on continued cold.

To bad what is good for N.C. is most often cold rain for us. I'd be more interested in Christmas if the energy was south of you and me.

Warm sun out..46,48 ,and 49 at near 3pm. T

Ah, now, Christmas is interesting even without snow. Seriously, I've noticed that James Spann has backed off his extreme warm up prediction for January. Maybe the -AO/-NAO can hold on into Jan/Feb? Would make for equal chances for normal temps hopefully and at least give us a chance at something frozen.

Well my local forecast from NWS does mention snow for Christmas :thumbsup:

THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

.FRIDAY...A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING. MOSTLY CLOUDY

WITH A CHANCE OF LIGHT SLEET AND RAIN. HIGHS IN THE MID 40S.

CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 30 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW. A CHANCE

OF FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

.CHRISTMAS DAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. A CHANCE OF RAIN

IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

50 PERCENT.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE EVENING.

COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. WIND CHILL VALUES

AS LOW AS 10 ABOVE IN THE MORNING.

this should be a red flag to everyone because the ukie is normally the most phased is it not? as well as the jma?

The ukie has the highest verification/ accuracy score when compared to other models, particulary the gfs in regards to phased storms. Someone posted the chart done from a study.in our last thread for the wekend event. I also heard this news as well several times last year.

As others have stated, this one definitely does have potential. All sort of possibilities here. Will be interesting to follow this one this week, and since it is on Christmas, it makes the potential really neat.

As for bringing this one home, I am going to make it Robert's personal responsibility to reel this one in.....Get out the 30lb test and make it happen.

As others have stated, this one definitely does have potential. All sort of possibilities here. Will be interesting to follow this one this week, and since it is on Christmas, it makes the potential really neat.

As for bringing this one home, I am going to make it Robert's personal responsibility to reel this one in.....Get out the 30lb test and make it happen.

LOL. Good one Matthew! Yes, I agree with Matthew Robert. This is YOUR BABY!! Disect this one for all its worth. Oh...I have 100lb test if you need some. :thumbsup::weight_lift:

Well my local forecast from NWS does mention snow for Christmas :thumbsup:

THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE MID 20S.

.FRIDAY...A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING. MOSTLY CLOUDY

WITH A CHANCE OF LIGHT SLEET AND RAIN. HIGHS IN THE MID 40S.

CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 30 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW. A CHANCE

OF FREEZING RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

.CHRISTMAS DAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SNOW. A CHANCE OF RAIN

IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

50 PERCENT.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE EVENING.

COOLER WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. WIND CHILL VALUES

AS LOW AS 10 ABOVE IN THE MORNING.

RAL has rain and 47 for here on Christmas.

Just saw the Euro and it looked good. If the Euro is right, temps won't be too much of a problem it would be a similar setup like this weekend but with more moisture to work with as far as I could tell.

Wouldn't it be a problem temp wise for areas further south of you though? I'm hoping it tracks further south this time to get more folks involved in it in the SE.

+1 lol this is all on Robert if we don't get the Snowman.gif then off to the gun_bandana.gif squad he goes as a sacrifice to the NINA.

Wouldn't it be a problem temp wise for areas further south of you though? I'm hoping it tracks further south this time to get more folks involved in it in the SE.

Yes, it could be a problem for us in CLT verbatim as Robert pointed out. CLT north would certainly be in the fail zone for sure. We'll just keep praying for a more southern track.

EDIT....burger answered...lol

CAE....

Christmas Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 51.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 27.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 51.

Considering I'll be in S. Illinois for Christmas I'm pretty certain the SE will score a big one out of this. As the wave moves across STL and Illinois Thursday-Friday I'll go outside and blow really hard to try and move it a little more south for you guys :weight_lift:

Please be sure and chew a breath mint before you do that, peferably 'winter fresh' :snowman:

Archived