• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Christmas Storm

Cold Rain

Man, that one is going to sting for a while. I thought we were golden too when we had flakes flying way earlier than expected.

I have made it a point in my brain to FORGET about last winter. Being SO CLOSE on SO MANY OCCASIONS, only to have it end up as 33 and cold rain (no ****) or dryslotted. Unreal...I would have rather had a winter with no threats, etc. I was happy for a lot of our SE peeps though. They had a couple of decent snows (I believe NEGA was one of them that I remember who received 5+"?) where they had gone without for so long.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canadian takes a 1009 lp from just north of Birmingham Friday evening to 992 about 75 miles east of Virginia Beach by Saturday evening. I would think that would be pretty ideal for western NC and upstate SC. I would think a phasing/deepening lp arching just south of Atlanta and southern/eastern SC to off the VA Capes would give western nc and upstate a good shot at a storm. It's the canadian of course.

TW

there's a precip shield over your house all the way into the upstate :lightning:

yeah but for good reason. Its not just bad luck, its the prevailing flow in Summers now, and to some extent the Spring and Fall can be that well, and in this particular case, the Winter so far. But mostly its the summers, where I and most of western SC end up losing about 15" of rain that others around here get. The northwest winds coming across the Smokies and the downsloping, this area starting at the southern end of my county (where I am) all the way south and west along 85 right to about the SC/GA border feel the worst effects of this new flow. Only in a couple periods can it rain "normally" now, with a deep south flow , or in an el nino Fall/Winter.

post-38-0-19580100-1292822778.jpg

I hate to even mention it in this thread but it will be another double digit departure here again this year. I have just over 32" on the year, and am going to be around 15" to 17" below on the year. Again.:axe: Probably 20" or more departures just to my west north of Spartanburg. This will be 10 out of 12 years below normal here. Most are absolutely enormous departures.

post-38-0-49269100-1292823143.jpg

Is that image from a free site? I've spent hours looking for a reliable source for the ukmet past 72 hours and haven't found one yet. TIA

yes

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=1&ech=120&carte=1021

it takes a little wile to get used to as the site is in French... you can toggle which model you want to view by scrolling all the way down to the bottom left hand portion of the page. Then select "Cartes N-Hemi" for the NH view.

Does anyone have the link with the real purdy canadian maps? It's hosted on a school's website.

Do you know which school? The e-wall maps stink, so I doubt you are referring to those, but if you could narrow it down a little more it might help.

the Canadian would be the best bet for the majority of us, but for upper SC and the southern foothills NC, you can see a diminished precip hole here. It would really get the central Piedmont and eastern NC well, and the Tenn valley . Its a trend in the right direction. The Euro will be coming out in 30 minutes, I may stay up for it just for punishment.

yeah but for good reason. Its not just bad luck, its the prevailing flow in Summers now, and to some extent the Spring and Fall can be that well, and in this particular case, the Winter so far. But mostly its the summers, where I and most of western SC end up losing about 15" of rain that others around here get. The northwest winds coming across the Smokies and the downsloping, this area starting at the southern end of my county (where I am) all the way south and west along 85 right to about the SC/GA border feel the worst effects of this new flow. Only in a couple periods can it rain "normally" now, with a deep south flow , or in an el nino Fall/Winter.

post-38-0-19580100-1292822778.jpg

I hate to even mention it in this thread but it will be another double digit departure here again this year. I have just over 32" on the year, and am going to be around 15" to 17" below on the year. Again.:axe: Probably 20" or more departures just to my west north of Spartanburg. This will be 10 out of 12 years below normal here. Most are absolutely enormous departures.

post-38-0-49269100-1292823143.jpg

Good grief. That's bad. Doesn't that area normally(not lately) get more rain than most places in the southeast?

the Canadian would be the best bet for the majority of us, but for upper SC and the southern foothills NC, you can see a diminished precip hole here. It would really get the central Piedmont and eastern NC well, and the Tenn valley . Its a trend in the right direction. The Euro will be coming out in 30 minutes, I may stay up for it just for punishment.

Shouldn't we be concerned with southerly winds and a warm punch of air east and NE of that sfc low. I don't see a good cold feed east of the low. If you look at the black and white Canadian image at hr 120, you can see the 1000-700mb thickness line way up in S VA. I guess this is a long way out and the Euro and GFS have been showing more of a CAD signature, but I feel like this is really going to have to trend a good bit farther south for us to be in good shape temp wise.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: You are not alone...

Shouldn't we be concerned with southerly winds and a warm punch of air east and NE of that sfc low. I don't see a good cold feed east of the low. If you look at the black and white Canadian image at hr 120, you can see the 1000-700mb thickness line way up in S VA. I guess this is a long way out and the Euro and GFS have been showing more of a CAD signature, but I feel like this is really going to have to trend a good bit farther south for us to be in good shape temp wise.

You have to take a lot of liberties with the Canadian, its always warm biased. Its not my fav. model, never has been but did do well in the March 09 storm here. If the low is that far south, we're still on the line, but the temps would be cooler than it shows simply b/c of its warm biased. Still may end up too warm here though.

I did. And its on Eastern wx. I did a study on why, and its the new northwest flow in Summer. Why that is, I have no idea.

I read that. Its the why and whether or not its permanent that would be nice to know. Its quite a sudden and radical change but I guess it wouldn't be the first time. Sure would be nice to understand the mechanics driving things.

I read that. Its the why and whether or not its permanent that would be nice to know. Its quite a sudden and radical change but I guess it wouldn't be the first time. Sure would be nice to understand the mechanics driving things.

not to derail this thread, but this is the last i'll post on it. Nothing matches GSP records anywhere near it going back to 1890's. So this last 12 years has been unprecedented in rain records, and matches precisely the suddent shift in prevailing winds. Only a few counties are affected, which is why I guess we don't hear more about it. I'm right in the heart of it though.

Archived