Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Ridge Builds In - Humidity Sticks Around - Wx Disc

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storm on radar had no scans that supported strong damaging winds of 80 mph. It wasn't a strong core that collapsed. I don't understand their logic, but me and all the other folks that saw it are dumb and don't know what we saw

Kevin you need to relax. It's certainly possible that there was a funnel cloud and on the backside there was an area of strong 50-60 knot rear flank downdraft winds that knocked down trees along a given path. To be honest... based on radar, the environment, video, and pictures I've seen of the damage that makes the most sense. 

Still pretty cool you saw a funnel cloud. 

Well hold on. It's possible there could have been contact with the ground, but don't forget it was moving rapidly and if I recell correctly, turned more northeasterly too. So, if your damage represents more straight line winds...you have to role with that. There is only so much you can do so they have to go with what's given to them. Like Ryan said, could be RFD winds as the jet rushed out from the storm and possibly accelerates out. The condensation was probably tickling the ground at times, but if you don't have tornadic damage...I think the NWS is limited as to what to call it.

It was moving like 25 mph so it's certainly possible that if it truly was a very weak EF0 you could have damage that would be indistinguishable from an RFD. In that case... since you lack damage indicators to the contrary... straight line wind damage is the correct label.

The storm also had very weak rotation on radar at the lowest slice (granted that's high up) but there was some semblance of an appendage or hook feature which would argue that there might have been some RFD signature trying to show up. 

I thought the large cone was the EF-1 in Coventry which was not the Tolland storm.

Correct... the video and pics of the "tornado" with the good movement was in Coventry and Mansfield. The Tolland video showed some rotation and movement and some scuddy looking funnel but it certainly wasn't conclusive like the southern storm video. 

It was moving like 25 mph so it's certainly possible that if it truly was a very weak EF0 you could have damage that would be indistinguishable from an RFD. In that case... since you lack damage indicators to the contrary... straight line wind damage is the correct label.

The storm also had very weak rotation on radar at the lowest slice (granted that's high up) but there was some semblance of an appendage or hook feature which would argue that there might have been some RFD signature trying to show up. 

Yeah exactly...subtract that motion and it's straight line winds. Or just RFD...either way I suppose your hands are tied if you don't find debris in a cyclonic fashion.

It wasn't a microburst. I'm the village idiot now and that's fine, but it was not a microburst. The trees were not all flattened in one direction. At any rate anyone who watches the video can clearly see what it was. Have your fun now at my expense

wait, you weren't the village idiot already? :P

(kidding.. love you)

Watch the video and decide for yourselves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrlK35PYETQ@BradNBCCT

There could be some rotation there but it doesn't appear to be associated with an updraft.   

Remember ... outflow foots can "curl", both in the horizontal and vertical, but that sort of rotation is fluid mechanical and not associated with rotating updraft.   

In truth Kevin likely saw the FC and the damage and thought TOR. I know we joke about his love for damage, but I know he wouldn't lie. 

the northeast is full of crap tornado reports even from people who should know better.. which is why im always skeptical until seeing something completely for sure.

Honestly... and I'm not trolling here... that video doesn't tell me anything. I can't even tell if there's a funnel cloud there. 

it's a lot of motion but hard to say much else

Honestly... and I'm not trolling here... that video doesn't tell me anything. I can't even tell if there's a funnel cloud there. 

i agree. i watched it a bunch of times. you have to speculate what's going on there. i wish whoever was driving had done something different - gone a different direction or whatever.

i agree. i watched it a bunch of times. you have to speculate what's going on there. i wish whoever was driving had done something different - gone a different direction or whatever.

I agree, if he had stopped at a good vantage point, seemed like he was worried about his house though, I can understand

the northeast is full of crap tornado reports even from people who should know better.. which is why im always skeptical until seeing something completely for sure.

Well right, there was probably a lot of motion, but how many times do people see a low scud and claim FC? He probably saw legit turning and thought FC. 

Archived