Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Ridge Builds In - Humidity Sticks Around - Wx Disc

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro is likely erroneous in boring out such a mammoth eastern Canadian trough.  

We've discussed this ad nauseam but the operational Euro and to some lesser degree, it's ensemble members, have a lusty intent to see troughs there in those time ranges.  

What is likely to happen is that after 4 or 5 days of hot ennui, the ridge roles back again and we end up with another negative node, similar to what happen last week and is going to happen over the next 2 days.   It's just that when the Euro first sniffs out those tweener periods/troughs, it goes too far with them.   Looking at the dailies in the run leading up to, it really engenders that large negative geopotential medium up there out of very little injected mechanics.

Going to be a hoot heading into October when the operational Euro always has a freak snow storm and attending coastal Nor'easter on D9 every other run :axe:

The Euro is likely erroneous in boring out such a mammoth eastern Canadian trough.  

We've discussed this ad nauseam but the operational Euro and to some lesser degree, it's ensemble members, have a lusty intent to see trough there in those time ranges.  

What is likely to happen is that after 4 or 5 days of hot ennui, the ridge roles back again and we end up with another negative node, similar to what happen last week and is going to happen over the next 2 days.   It's just that when the Euro first sniffs out those tweener periods/troughs, it goes too far with it.   Looking at the dailies in the run leading up to, it really engenders that large negative geopotential medium up there out of very little injected mechanics.

Going to be a hoot heading into October when the operational Euro always has a freak snow storm and attending coastal Nor'easter on D9 every other run :axe:

do you have access to those?

Kevin's tornado was a microburst :(

I followed that cell and where it looked real promising for damage in Union/Woodstock and didn't see anything where it would have been.  I wish I went further south into Coventry.

BTW, when the tornado warning was extended NE and included parts of Mass, I guess it confused some people in Holland because they were included because the warning box just touched the SE corner of the town.  Check out this PR piece from the Springfield media:

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/weather/us_wx_news/tornado-warning-brought-concern-to-holland

I have often wondered whether some of these weaker tornadoes get classified as microbursts due to the damage pattern coinciding with the presentation of a microburst.  I think there was a case last year in Pennsylvania where there appeared to clearly be a tornado on video but the damage was ruled a microburst.  I was unsure about that one too.  I would be interested to know if there was any other video for this case in Tolland.

--I am not saying that happened here, just speculating.  Could the forward motion cause the winds on one side of the weak tornado to not cause any significant damage while the other side presents as straight line wind damage?

I have often wondered whether some of these weaker tornadoes get classified as microbursts due to the damage pattern coinciding with the presentation of a microburst.  I think there was a case last year in Pennsylvania where there appeared to clearly be a tornado on video but the damage was ruled a microburst.  I was unsure about that one too.  I would be interested to know if there was any other video for this case in Tolland.

I don't know why damage surveys around here put all damage in either the microburst category or tornado damage.

Seems more likely to me you had a patch of strong RFD winds (and probably a funnel cloud too) since the damage was in a path and all the trees were uprooted in the same direction. 

yeah rfd makes more sense given what i've seen or heard from it.

JoeD says they label it as a microburst in storm survey for simplicity. Given the video, damage description and radar - a funnel cloud that never touched down with strong RFD winds (50-60 knots) makes the most sense. 

The legit tornado in Mansfield was cool on video. Couple of friends saw it too,lucky them and from a good non tree hilltop vantage point.

yeah that one looked pretty solid.. had good motion in the vid i saw of it.

The legit tornado in Mansfield was cool on video. Couple of friends saw it too,lucky them and from a good non tree hilltop vantage point.

Yeah it was wild. 

I totally buy a funnel cloud with RFD winds. It probably wasn't really a "microburst" setup given the fact the core of the storm was very shallow and really wasn't "dropping out" at the time. 

It wasn't a microburst. I'm the village idiot now and that's fine, but it was not a microburst. The trees were not all flattened in one direction. At any rate anyone who watches the video can clearly see what it was. Have your fun now at my expense

I agree, no wet microburst but rather RFD of a funnel cloud, seems legit to me but I am not an assessment expert. what else would bring those winds down like that, no outflow boundary or super heavy rain. Seems odd.

i see it as more of a glorified seabreeze boundary that'll manage to back south and west aided by the HP moving by to the N and E. there have also been hints on/off of a weak disturbance passing through the area monday/tuesday which would definitely assist in turning the flow onshore across E MA.

Yeah, I agree...a disturbance in the flow could definitely drill a shallow counter-push in the E, but imho I don't believe that heights will permit a disturbance sufficiently strong enough to usurp the power of that spectacular and crushing ridge anomaly, in the first place.    

It'll be interesting to follow.

Yeah it was wild. 

I totally buy a funnel cloud with RFD winds. It probably wasn't really a "microburst" setup given the fact the core of the storm was very shallow and really wasn't "dropping out" at the time. 

Isn't confirmation of a funnel cloud by eyewitnesses and damage indicative of a tornado?Not all tornado's have circular wind damage right?

It wasn't a microburst. I'm the village idiot now and that's fine, but it was not a microburst. The trees were not all flattened in one direction. At any rate anyone who watches the video can clearly see what it was. Have your fun now at my expense

Well there weren't even a lot of trees flattened. The damage was pretty weak sauce even compared to the EF0 in Enfield and Greenwich/Stamford on 7/1. Those knocked down hundreds of trees each. 

I agree, no wet microburst but rather RFD of a funnel cloud, seems legit to me but I am not an assessment expert. what else would bring those winds down like that, no outflow boundary or super heavy rain. Seems odd.

The storm on radar had no scans that supported strong damaging winds of 80 mph. It wasn't a strong core that collapsed. I don't understand their logic, but me and all the other folks that saw it are dumb and don't know what we saw

Well hold on. It's possible there could have been contact with the ground, but don't forget it was moving rapidly and if I recell correctly, turned more northeasterly too. So, if your damage represents more straight line winds...you have to role with that. There is only so much you can do so they have to go with what's given to them. Like Ryan said, could be RFD winds as the jet rushed out from the storm and possibly accelerates out. The condensation was probably tickling the ground at times, but if you don't have tornadic damage...I think the NWS is limited as to what to call it.

A weak EF0 will likely not cause major tree damage on one flank after subtracting out storm motion right? 

That was what I was wondering about myself.  But the RFD causing the straight-line wind damage also makes sense as well.  But I am not sure that would rule out a very weak EF-0 either.  Maybe it is not discernible amongst the damage caused by the RFD.

Archived