Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Ridge Builds In - Humidity Sticks Around - Wx Disc

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My honest opinion and its just that an opinion.. And not a dig,, is that they got in a lot of trouble after the Springfield TOR which was OTG for 20 mins before it was warned. They are being scrutinized much more so now and if they didn't have a TOR warning out for it, and then confirm there in fact was a TOR during the survey they are going to be penalized and questioned by their higher ups.

Ehhh I'd be careful with that type of stuff. I highly doubt there is anything more to the story except they just didnt find enough evidence to whatever satisfaction or confidence level they needed.

I wouldn't start bashing them or talking conspiracy because they didnt label what might have been a brief EF0 that like you said was skipping the treetops above 800ft.

Again yes to me it does matter. I know what I and others saw. To everyone else I know it doesn't matter and no one cares what I think. I just don't want people to think this was straight line wind damage because that's not what it was.

I believe you, especially with your idea of it being above the trees at elevations below 800ft. But still, we are talking about a very short, narrow path of an EF0. Just enjoy what you saw and don't think about the classification.

Wiz, was that the remnant cell that traveled from Watertown to Windsor? When I was positioned in Windsor I noticed that there was some very weak rotation trying to get back together. It may have passed a bit further north though and was relatively early, sometime around or a bit before 3.

Wiz, was that the remnant cell that traveled from Watertown to Windsor? When I was positioned in Windsor I noticed that there was some very weak rotation trying to get back together. It may have passed a bit further north though and was relatively early, sometime around or a bit before 3.

From the caption of the pic, this was the cell which went on to produce the tornado in Andover/Coventry/Mansfield

It must be really hard to decide between an EF0 and straight line winds, and if they have to find overwhelming evidence of a TOR, then it's going to be easier to prove straight line.

The 5/27/10 storm in Greenfield was classified as severe with straightline winds but what I experienced was swirling wind that my wife and I both felt dropped straight out of the sky. Damage in the two next door neighbors yards were trees twisted in all directions, trees were dropped same direction in my yard and the next three yards and then twisted swirls of trees again a few hundered yards south. Tornado? Don't know, it was dark but sure seemed like one.

Ehhh I'd be careful with that type of stuff. I highly doubt there is anything more to the story except they just didnt find enough evidence to whatever satisfaction or confidence level they needed.

I wouldn't start bashing them or talking conspiracy because they didnt label what might have been a brief EF0 that like you said was skipping the treetops above 800ft.

Again that is not a bash. I personally know several of the fine folks at Box. They do a fine job, but everyone reports to someone and big brother is always watching. It's simply based on intel and my opinion. No bashing at all

From the caption of the pic, this was the cell which went on to produce the tornado in Andover/Coventry/Mansfield

The track of the storm would have been too far north to pass through West Hartford. Maybe that was Kev's storm?

Here are some video clips of scud I captured between 3:15 and 3:20 p.m. on I-91 near or just north of Hartford.

The 5/27/10 storm in Greenfield was classified as severe with straightline winds but what I experienced was swirling wind that my wife and I both felt dropped straight out of the sky. Damage in the two next door neighbors yards were trees twisted in all directions, trees were dropped same direction in my yard and the next three yards and then twisted swirls of trees again a few hundered yards south. Tornado? Don't know, it was dark but sure seemed like one.

Given what they need for classification of a tornado, it makes me think there are probably a bunch of EF0 spin ups that go unaccounted for. I always wondered that with hurricane landfalls...I mean you have a CAT3 come ashore and some 100-200 yard wide swath gets an EF0 or EF1 spin up....how the heck are you going to tell the difference between hurricane and weak 70mph tornado winds?

My honest opinion and its just that an opinion.. And not a dig,, is that they got in a lot of trouble after the Springfield TOR which was OTG for 20 mins before it was warned. They are being scrutinized much more so now and if they didn't have a TOR warning out for it, and then confirm there in fact was a TOR during the survey they are going to be penalized and questioned by their higher ups.

Probably best to not throw out conspiracy theories like this, dude.

The track of the storm would have been too far north to pass through West Hartford. Maybe that was Kev's storm?

Here are some video clips of scud I captured between 3:15 and 3:20 p.m. on I-91 near or just north of Hartford.

hmmm...that may be the case.  

Seriously?

???

Your argument is ridiculous. The tornado they confirmed in Andover touched down before the warning was issued... Same story last week in Windsor. There's nothing nefarious going on... Just a disappointed weenie that a rotating cloud never touched down.

It still bugs me to this day that the NWS did not survey an obvious tornado which spun up 100 yards behind my house as Hurricane Bobs eye made landfall just to my west in Newport RI. The damage path was about 200 yards wide, very circular in pattern with a 1/2 mile long corn field directly effected showing easily the circulation. The damage started at the top of my road about one mile from my house in Ashaway RI. Twisting three telephone poles then traveling SE with the damage ending in Bradford RI about 2.5 miles away. I heard the roar and saw the funnel moving violently with rapid motion. I was then a trained spotter with PVD. Called it in twice, the local papers reported it from other sources including the fire chief. No survey was ever done. Important to only the weenie? No, important to the historical land falling official records of NHC, the database of Tornados in RI. I did see a couple of papers on Bob mention an unconfirmed tornado in RI. So yea sometimes it does matter. In Kevin's case they surveyed and decided no, I would live with that as at least they surveyed.

Your argument is ridiculous. The tornado they confirmed in Andover touched down before the warning was issued... Same story last week in Windsor. There's nothing nefarious going on... Just a disappointed weenie that a rotating cloud never touched down.

I don't think it is ridiculous.  

The videos and ground truth prove otherwise as other knowledgable posters have clearly laid out. In the end folks can come to whatever conclusion they choose. That's the beauty of it

Speaking of ridiculous things, I just noticed the forecast here is for low 50s tonight.

Kev might have something on one of the most humid stretches in a long time as I also noticed MVL hasn't had a min below 60F since June 22nd! That's 2.5 weeks in mountain valley that radiates well, that hasn't seen a temp below 60 sine June 22nd. Our last temp in the 30s was on June 20th. That's called flipping a switch...going from a low in the 30s, to 2.5 weeks of 60<..

We never go that long without getting into the 50s at least...and last July we had a grand total of 5 days with mins above 60...more days were spent with morning temps in the 40s than in the 60s last July.

Here's a visual of the confirmed tornado. Based on my estimate from radar and NWS info (they didn't give street names) it passed just south of UConn and just NW of the city of Willimantic.

attachicon.giftorFB.png

That's about right. It passed a mile south of us on rte 31. I was checking out all the reports for the storm heading up thru Union and then my wife called from the road about a radio report of a possible tornado from Andover to Coventry. The tree tops started blowing around about a minute later. We saw some good sized branches above the house that seemed to be very high and getting higher and blowing towards the west.

Given what they need for classification of a tornado, it makes me think there are probably a bunch of EF0 spin ups that go unaccounted for.

Especially in the old days... cell phones have confirmed a lot of EF-0 tornadoes that otherwise would have been classified as microbursts. 

I remember hearing about a small tornado touching down probably 15+ years ago at the Gottier farm on Sugar Hill Rd in Tolland.  Nothing ever got confirmed, even though there were a bunch of people who witnessed the tornado.  I imagine this happened a lot more as you go back further in time.

The videos and ground truth prove otherwise as other knowledgable posters have clearly laid out. In the end folks can come to whatever conclusion they choose. That's the beauty of it

indeed, but the official one is all that matters for the records.

you act as if the nws did not do a field survey.

Inconclusive videos and 2 mets doing a damage survey say no tornado.

lol ground truth. The only conclusion that matters (NWS) has been determined. It wasn't a tornado. Not the end of the world.

Again yes to me it does matter. I know what I and others saw. To everyone else I know it doesn't matter and no one cares what I think. I just don't want people to think this was straight line wind damage because that's not what it was.

It wasn't a tornado. The NWS did their job and came to their conclusions.

Archived