joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big Wet of 2013

Wow

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFC is going with 2-3" most areas from Wed-Fri. Nothing out of the ordinary for July. After all, July is typically one of our wettest months.

That's more than half the month's average rainfall in 2 days. Not to mention the tendency for convective rains to cause flash flooding. Not sure why I'm bothering, you will continue to post crap like this no matter what.

That's more than half the month's average rainfall in 2 days. Not to mention the tendency for convective rains to cause flash flooding. Not sure why I'm bothering, you will continue to post crap like this no matter what.

Excuse me ? Please show some respect and lose the attitude. Thank you. I was simply posting what FFC said. And 2-3" in a 2 or 3 day period is NOT unusual at all for July. It's not uncommon in July to have 3" of rain in an hour.

Excuse me ? Please show some respect and lose the attitude. Thank you. I was simply posting what FFC said. And 2-3" in a 2 or 3 day period is NOT unusual at all for July. It's not uncommon in July to have 3" of rain in an hour.

Boy, we all need snow rain sun hurricanes cooler weather soon

I'm beginning to think this event isn't going to live up to it's hype in most locations. There is still no retrogression going on. The train of moisture certainly seems to be shifting east instead of west like the models are forecasting. I don't see the heavy rain forecast from I-77 and east tonight happening either. The rain will be along the coast and offshore with only a couple of clusters anywhere west of I-95 in NC or SC. 

We should bring back the weenie tags and snowstorm should get the first one.

Just picked up 1.69 inches from latest line of storms.  Bringing total from this event to 4.29 inches...with lots more possible!

Yep one thing that concerns me is that the rain we have recieved this afternoon and tonight when I drove into work is that the river was already up and the streams and creeks have already doubled in size and we are just getting started. I can see more storms developing tonight and working there way through already.

Yea, I am watching upslope potential tonight for the mountains, and then the Foothills and Piedmont areas for tomorrow morning through noon.

Ya it looks like the southern Apps may get hammered. Looking into Wed and Thur seem to be when we may see the heaviest of precip coming through and a large swath at that. could get pretty narly here in the mountains this week especially around the 4th.

Good luck coming down here this week. Picked a pretty lousy week but hey at least temps should be nice and everything is very green.

Thanks. Im hoping my rain shield will kick in and shift this stuff to the east. It was supposed to rain up here in Northern VA the last 3 days and have had 1 light shower so far.

Like Hurricane Tracker said, the waterfalls should be roaring with life if the trails arent to muddy. Hope to get to Mt Mitchell, but Im feeling it will likely be in the clouds and fog the whole weekend :(

Thanks. Im hoping my rain shield will kick in and shift this stuff to the east. It was supposed to rain up here in Northern VA the last 3 days and have had 1 light shower so far.

Like Hurricane Tracker said, the waterfalls should be roaring with life if the trails arent to muddy. Hope to get to Mt Mitchell, but Im feeling it will likely be in the clouds and fog the whole weekend :(

Ya well by the end of the week things should really start tappering down. Ya the trails this year with the mountains being some 15 to 20 inches above normal for rainfall are very lush and the waterfalls are roaring. Should be pretty nice to hike through though but be careful we have already had several people get severly hurt because they get to close to the falls of in the water.

Flooding concerns up north.

AVERY NC-BURKE NC-
857 PM EDT MON JUL 1 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAS ISSUED AN

* URBAN AND SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR HEAVY RAINFALL IN...
  AVERY COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...
  NORTHWESTERN BURKE COUNTY IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA...

* UNTIL 1100 PM EDT

* AT 853 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED AN
  AREA OF HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA. DOPPLER RADAR
  ESTIMATED THAT 1 TO 2 INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN ACROSS THE
  ADVISORY IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME...AND ANOTHER INCH IS LIKELY
  BEFORE THE RAIN TAPERS OFF.

* RUNOFF FROM THIS RAINFALL WILL CAUSE MINOR FLOODING TO OCCUR...
  ESPECIALLY ALONG SMALL STREAMS AND NEAR LOW WATER CROSSINGS. SOME
  LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE MINOR FLOODING INCLUDE...
  NEWLAND...JONAS RIDGE AND LINVILLE. STREAMS THAT WILL BE
  AFFECTED INCLUDE THE LINVILLE RIVER AND SMALLER TRIBUTARIES.

Thats got to be one helluva ride on I 26 from Hendersonville thru AVL up and over the mtns to Johnson City, TN. wow

Wife was coming down 25-70 & then 26 during the height of it & said it reminded her of the rain on one of our trips to Florida. Just enormous drops of water that she couldn't see thru. A lot of people pulled over on 26 & the traffic that was flowing was going about 20 mph! Things are quieter know but still raining. Gonna be a interesting couple of days in the Southern Apps!

Ya well by the end of the week things should really start tappering down. Ya the trails this year with the mountains being some 15 to 20 inches above normal for rainfall are very lush and the waterfalls are roaring. Should be pretty nice to hike through though but be careful we have already had several people get severly hurt because they get to close to the falls of in the water.

Thanks, Will do, Im an experienced hiker so Im pretty careful out there. Just got back from hiking an old volcano in Hawaii, that was pretty wild. Hopefully saturday will be salvagable. :)

Wife was coming down 25-70 & then 26 during the height of it & said it reminded her of the rain on one of our trips to Florida. Just enormous drops of water that she couldn't see thru. A lot of people pulled over on 26 & the traffic that was flowing was going about 20 mph! Things are quieter know but still raining. Gonna be a interesting couple of days in the Southern Apps!

It looked like the intensity of a Florida rain storm on radar. Decent dbz's on the return. Hopefully it will all be pased or ending slowly by the time I arrive on the 4th in the late afternoon Glad the wife was safe on her drive

Heh, on a good day Mt. Mitchell is in the clouds and fog 95% of the time. :D

Still, it's a fun place to visit, though.

Archived