christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Cut-Off Woes Next Few Days

CT Rain

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's where my advantage is on the garden, If i had it in the ground right now i would have thrown my hands up in the air along with some choice words that only have 4 letters

My issue isn't water - the garden is semi-raised bed and with fairly well drained soil.  It's the cool temps, and while containers would help some, it's not like the difference they make in soil moisture management.  Even the tomatos and peppers amid the heavy black plastic are standing still, though I've no worries about their survival.

Another "minute waltz" with +RA here in AUG, about the 8th one this morning, total duration is about 15 minutes.  Quickly back to sprinkles.

Nice line from south central CT in central Ma, some sort of boundry in this area?

Seems like a slight temperature contrast from east to west, maybe a slight topographic influence as well? Looks like there may be some slight surface convergence too. Regardless, there's a lightning report in northern MA. Giggity gig.

I see that... I can see the CB wall on the opposite side of a big sky-light from here. Tops tipping NE so it makes sense that it's quasi training. From the looks of it, probably just heavy showers in high pwat. The convective turrets are not very dense and they don't appear to be very high. Just a guess... Anyway, right out ahead of that line there is a window of high sun angle sear. Just entered it here.

We saw sun for 18 seconds

Another round of end o the world rain now

My issue isn't water - the garden is semi-raised bed and with fairly well drained soil.  It's the cool temps, and while containers would help some, it's not like the difference they make in soil moisture management.  Even the tomatos and peppers amid the heavy black plastic are standing still, though I've no worries about their survival.

Another "minute waltz" with +RA here in AUG, about the 8th one this morning, total duration is about 15 minutes.  Quickly back to sprinkles.

Mine is clay based so i would be cooked

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1284

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1147 AM CDT FRI JUN 28 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS CT/MA/RI/NH...SERN NY.

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY

VALID 281647Z - 281915Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...20 PERCENT

SUMMARY...WIDELY SCATTERED TSTMS...NEAR AND WITHIN BAND OF INITIALLY

NON-SVR CONVECTION OVER DISCUSSION AREA -- MAY STRENGTHEN TO NEAR

SVR LEVELS THROUGH MID-AFTN. ISOLATED DAMAGING GUSTS OR BRIEF

TORNADO CANNOT BE RULED OUT. HOWEVER...POTENTIAL CURRENTLY APPEARS

TOO LOW-END...CONDITIONAL AND LIMITED IN AREA FOR WW.

DISCUSSION...16Z SFC MESOANALYSIS SHOWS PRE-FRONTAL CONFLUENCE LINE

FROM WARM-FRONTAL INTERSECTION NEAR VT/NH BORDER SWD NEAR CT/VT/NH

JUNCTION SSWWD ACROSS CT TO NYC AREA. THIS FEATURE REPRESENTS WIND

SHIFT BETWEEN RELATIVELY VEERED/SSWLY-SWLY FLOW OVER LOWER HUDSON

REGION TO SSWLY/SLY FLOW OVER SERN NEW ENGLAND. BAND OF CONVECTION

HAS PERSISTED INVOF THIS BOUNDARY OVER CT...EXTENDING OFF BOUNDARY

INTO CENTRAL MA...WHILE ADDITIONAL/ISOLATED ACTIVITY HAS FORMED

ALONG BOUNDARY NEAR SW CORNER OF NH. AIR MASS IS DESTABILIZING

FAVORABLY ON BOTH SIDES OF BOUNDARY AMIDST CLOUD BREAKS AND SFC

INSOLATION. HOWEVER...GREATEST BOUNDARY-LAYER MOISTURE AND

LOW-LEVEL SHEAR ARE EVIDENT E OF BOUNDARY ACROSS ERN

CT...CENTRAL-ERN MA AND RI...AND W OF RELATIVELY COOL/STABLE ATLC

MARINE LAYER. ACCORDINGLY MODIFIED RAOBS AND FCST SOUNDINGS SHOW

WEAK MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES OFFSET ENOUGH BY SFC HEATING TO YIELD

500-1000 J/KG MLCAPE...AND POCKET OF 100-200 J/KG 0-3 KM CAPE IS

EVIDENT JUST AHEAD OF CONVECTIVE BAND OVER ERN CT AND E-CENTRAL MA.

ERN FRINGES OF SUBTLE DCVA/DESTABILIZATION ALOFT...RELATED SMALL

SHORTWAVE THAT IS EVIDENT IN MOISTURE CHANNEL IMAGERY PIVOTING NEWD

ACROSS CENTRAL-ERN PA...ALSO MAY SUPPORT NEW ENGLAND TSTM

ENVIRONMENT. PERTURBATION ALOFT ALSO MAY MAINTAIN MID-UPPER

GRADIENT FLOW ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN MRGL EFFECTIVE SHEAR MAGNITUDES

30-35 KT. QUASI-LINEAR STRUCTURE ALREADY EVIDENT IN PRIMARY

CONVECTIVE BAND APPEARS TO REDUCE POTENTIAL FOR SUSTAINED/DISCRETE

SUPERCELL STRUCTURES...AS DOES LACK OF MORE ROBUST DEEP SHEAR...BUT

SHORT-LIVED/STORM-SCALE ROTATION MAY OCCUR.

ADDITIONAL TSTMS MAY DEVELOP OVER PORTIONS SERN NY AND WRN

CT...MOVING EWD INTO THIS AREA BEHIND INITIAL BAND. THOUGH SUCH

ACTIVITY WOULD BE IN WEAKER VERTICAL SHEAR THAN FARTHER E...ISOLATED

HAIL AND GUSTS APCHG SVR LIMITS ARE POSSIBLE.

..EDWARDS/MEAD.. 06/28/2013

So what's the deal?  Is more stuff going to fire or not?  SPC is poop pooing on this with a "watch unlikely", others are doing the same.  12z WRF is very active later on.  Satellite looks pretty solid right now with plenty of sunshine and we're getting into peak heating.  Dews are in the low 70's, and shear is still pretty decent, helicity not as high as earlier but certainly more elevated than usual.  How is it we can't get severe from a pretty decent setup like this...not talking outbreak but scattered severe, while some of these other setups which look worse than this produce crap...what the hell gives?  May as well just take this whole synoptic pattern and stick it up mother nature's ass b/c it's providing no good at all.

So what's the deal?  Is more stuff going to fire or not?  SPC is poop pooing on this with a "watch unlikely", others are doing the same.  12z WRF is very active later on.  Satellite looks pretty solid right now with plenty of sunshine and we're getting into peak heating.  Dews are in the low 70's, and shear is still pretty decent, helicity not as high as earlier but certainly more elevated than usual.  How is it we can't get severe from a pretty decent setup like this...not talking outbreak but scattered severe, while some of these other setups which look worse than this produce crap...what the hell gives?  May as well just take this whole synoptic pattern and stick it up mother nature's ass b/c it's providing no good at all.

Lapse rates are pretty crappy. Isolated severe is more likely. Just one of those set ups where a tornado is probably just as likely as a bowing segment producing a severe wind gust.

The timing appears off. There's some broken segments out in western PA that look pretty healthy. That's going to arrive too late. There's good shear in place and even some decent supercell/tornado parameters in place across eastern southern New England, but things probably got going in CT too soon and limited destabilization. 

Lapse rates are pretty crappy. Isolated severe is more likely. Just one of those set ups where a tornado is probably just as likely as a bowing segment producing a severe wind gust.

Lapse rates do suck, but shouldn't these dews compensate somewhat?  I'm fine with isolated severe.  I'm just wondering why it seems the towel is being thrown in for later on.  Unless I'm interpreting the MCD wrong, it sounds as if they aren't expecting much of anything to develop later on across the area?  

The timing appears off. There's some broken segments out in western PA that look pretty healthy. That's going to arrive too late. There's good shear in place and even some decent supercell/tornado parameters in place across eastern southern New England, but things probably got going in CT too soon and limited destabilization. 

Even with the sun coming out now?  We get solid sun over the next 60-90 minutes and temps could quickly soar into the lower 80's...low 80's/70F dews should yield some pretty solid cape, even with meh lapse rates.

Archived