• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Noreaster

Ginx snewx

I don't think the track looks bad... I was just wondering about whether some of the really excessive rainfall amounts (4"+) are able to make it north of NYC. Certainly possible, don't get me wrong, but big convection down south could do funky things to final QPF numbers.

could the nam's faster timing be hindering convection which allows more rain to the north?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing I'm not sure about is how the convection that fires over the Mid Atlantic will influence this whole thing. Powerful convection may screw up some of the conveyorbelt processes and moisture transport into the storm for a period of time?

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. The last system seemed to have trouble with the convection which probably helped cause a bit of a bust with QPF on the northern periphery. This has quite the potent mid level system progged though. The 00Z ec bumped a little north with the QPF thanks to better mid level processes. It wouldn't shock me to only get grazed imby though.

i'm not really sure what BOX means by this...thoughts?

ONE OTHER ISSUE TO NOTE IS A STRONG E-NE LLJ WITH A MAGNITUDE OF

50-NEAR 60 KT AT H92-H85. MIXING IS NOT GREAT AND THIS DIRECTION

IS NOT CLIMATOLOGICALLY IDEAL FOR STRONG WINDS

I think def in the early summer/spring, that direction can be tough for higher winds because of the inversion with colder SSTs.

huh.

Early summer/late Spring has cooler SSTs than later summer/fall/early winter vs most of the airmasses above it, no? So it helps create an inversion. A lot of our systems this time of the year will have 900mb temps of like +10 to +14C or something. Put that on top of 48-50F SSTs and it has trouble mixing.

In this setup though, as Scott said, it might be cold enough in the BL that the inversion really isn't there. I guess we'll have to see...but it looks like 900mb temps can get down to like +6 or +7.

Early summer/late Spring has cooler SSTs than later summer/fall/early winter vs most of the airmasses above it, no? So it helps create an inversion. A lot of our systems this time of the year will have 900mb temps of like +10 to +14C or something. Put that on top of 48-50F SSTs and it has trouble mixing.

In this setup though, as Scott said, it might be cold enough in the BL that the inversion really isn't there. I guess we'll have to see...but it looks like 900mb temps can get down to like +6 or +7.

oh yeah i know.

it's just that i think the two issues have to sort of be separated. on the rare occasion that we get a summer system like this, we usually aren't feeding in mild air aloft on NE winds. it's usually colder than normal low level air coming in...so inherently it'll mix better.

i guess they just meant in the big picture sense. 

Archived