Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Noreaster

Ginx snewx

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

really interesting storm. impact may very well be worse than most POS "named" systems that come through here. goes to show how information is lost in translation with the weather. if this were a TS there'd be statements up/down the coast for mariners etc etc. instead there's nothing. 

A very valid point.  How many times do we see TS warnings for a recurving storm that brings us nothing more than a shower and a wind gust to 25mph?

really interesting storm. impact may very well be worse than most POS "named" systems that come through here. goes to show how information is lost in translation with the weather. if this were a TS there'd be statements up/down the coast for mariners etc etc. instead there's nothing. 

From the NWS to the media it's the same, unfortunately. The whole weather enterprise goes to DEFCON1 the moments something gets a name regardless of expected impact.

This. I feel storms like this and many nor'easters pose a much greater impact and threat and are underrated than if a TS were to come this way.

This. I feel storms like this and many nor'easters pose a much greater impact and threat and are underrated than if a TS were to come this way.

A lot of the worst storms for coastal flooding in SE New England have been unnamed....Dec 1992, Halloween 1991, Feb 1978, etc.

yeah. it's too bad really. things that need to be talked up, aren't...and things that don't need to be, are. 

If you go on BOX's home page there's nothing about the storm and/or flood threat. Even my point n click doesn't have any statements/information about impacts from expected rain and wind. 

One of the impressive features of this pattern is almost a 50/50 type blocking low up in Nova Scotia...something we don't normally see in summer with a shortwave digging in from the west.

What a wild looking storm for the time of year. I haven't been paying much attention to SNE wx until this morning when I started looking at the latest models. 

The rain could really be ugly on the NW side of this thing.

Pretty strong TROWAL signal on here too.

The one thing I'm not sure about is how the convection that fires over the Mid Atlantic will influence this whole thing. Powerful convection may screw up some of the conveyorbelt processes and moisture transport into the storm for a period of time?

Well we are doing our best to spread the word to mariners and river folks. Could be a big flood issue more so than the silly Derecho talk, also the boaters should be worried especially those in places like the lower CT river where the combo of fresh water flooding and winds will strain the lines.

the nam is still much faster than the euro and has a weird look to the precip shield

NAM and Canadian have been the camp that doesn't really phase all the energy together and keep the storm moving along quickly...Canadian more extreme on that end than the NAM while the GFS/Euro/Ukie are slower...Euro being the slowest.

The one thing I'm not sure about is how the convection that fires over the Mid Atlantic will influence this whole thing. Powerful convection may screw up some of the conveyorbelt processes and moisture transport into the storm for a period of time?

that's the reason why i'm wondering about the nam's precip max near albany while the low is over delaware

I mentioned that this morning. Part of the answer to this storm is what happens with the convection tonight I think. I'd still like to give it another run or so before I pull out all the stops.

I mentioned that this morning. Part of the answer to this storm is what happens with the convection tonight I think. I'd still like to give it another run or so before I pull out all the stops.

Seems to me the convection is being overplayed and this pans out like our normal strong clipper that redevelops off the Delmarva, as the 12Z Hi res shows most of the precip is north of the cyclogenesis. Flooding and wind in the NE seems to be the issue with of course some strong cells in the warm sector triggering spin ups.

If you do get a monster MCS from S NJ to SE VA... I wonder if you're really going to be able to throw loads of moisture off the Atlantic into SNE on the warm conveyorbelt. It may be a sloppy looking system initially before the convection weakens and you get some solid deformation rains on the north and west flank. That would keep totals down I think but it's uncertain.

The worst case scenario for rain and flooding is being able to fire convection into the south coast tomorrow (there is some elevated instability) and put down a lot of rain near and north of the warm front before going to a full on coastal. 

the euro has shown the same low track/timing for two days so why go against it

I don't think the track looks bad... I was just wondering about whether some of the really excessive rainfall amounts (4"+) are able to make it north of NYC. Certainly possible, don't get me wrong, but big convection down south could do funky things to final QPF numbers.

I don't think the track looks bad... I was just wondering about whether some of the really excessive rainfall amounts (4"+) are able to make it north of NYC. Certainly possible, don't get me wrong, but big convection down south could do funky things to final QPF numbers.

Yeah that's the biggiest question.

Archived